Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-12-2014, 04:16 PM   #31
desert dog
Zealot
desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2,3 Voyage,Oasis 1&2, Kobo Glohd, Aura hd, Kmini, H2O 1&2
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
And I would say (and did even before comparison with my H2O) that my HD definitely leans to blue. There is variation in the manufacturing process even before you bring in differences in peoples colour perceptions. Key is if you like what you have or not, not what colour it is or what is right or wrong.
Exactly my thoughts, it comes down to personal preference. And, for me, it is especially acute since I am used to being able to manipulate the Kobo into an immersive reading experience. The reason I own so many Kobos is the fun I have playing around with the tweeks. That makes not having control or certainty over the light color all the more disconcerting.
desert dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:31 PM   #32
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Exactly my thoughts, it comes down to personal preference. And, for me, it is especially acute since I am used to being able to manipulate the Kobo into an immersive reading experience. The reason I own so many Kobos is the fun I have playing around with the tweeks. That makes not having control or certainty over the light color all the more disconcerting.
There are some LEDs that change colour from blue to purple to red to yellow, etc. It makes me wonder if they could provide the ability via software to control the warm-to-cool hue of the white LEDs to the customer's liking. It would be a neat feature.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2014, 07:10 PM   #33
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
There are some LEDs that change colour from blue to purple to red to yellow, etc. It makes me wonder if they could provide the ability via software to control the warm-to-cool hue of the white LEDs to the customer's liking. It would be a neat feature.
Excellent idea. I bet kindle will have it first with three color choices: white, bannana yellow, and sky blue.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:10 PM   #34
desert dog
Zealot
desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Now isnt that an awesome idea! That would be an impressive selling point for me. Not only could you adjust brightness but also color temperature to fit your desire and needs.

Sign me up, I would buy such an ereader!

Kobo, Kindle - are you listening?
Old 10-12-2014, 08:56 PM   #35
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
A yellow screen is not good, but a yellow tinted light can be considered a feature, not a bug. All LCDs you are used to are probably too blue. On my iPad I run f.lux to make the screen warmer.

What you think of as neutral light is probably too blue for night use. Blue light has been shown to disrupt sleep pattern.

Try using the screen for a while. You may grow to appreciate it

A light with adjustable temperature would be the best. That would not be another gimmick of dubious value. Which means we will probably never get it.

I don't know why tablets and phones don't let you adjust the temperature of the display. This is one of my pet peeve. Considering high end mobile devices now have the best display owned by the average person, who spends hours a day staring at it.

Last edited by Barty; 10-12-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2014, 09:10 PM   #36
desert dog
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
A yellow screen is not good, but a yellow tinted light can be considered a feature, not a bug. All LCDs you are used to are probably too blue. On my iPad I run f.lux to make the screen warmer.

What you think of as neutral light is probably too blue for night use. Blue light has been shown to disrupt sleep pattern.

Try using the screen for a while. You may grow to appreciate it

I was an early adopter of the Aura HD and, while it works just fine, I have a personal preference for the cool blue. I say this after using the warm colored HD for a whole bunch of books, all the while mixing in reading time from Kindles and the Kobo Glo.

After getting some promising replies about the screen/light color here in this thread I went on ahead and ordered an H2O today.

Kobo doesn't offer expedited shipping do I will know in a week or so how it turns out...

Hoping for a cool result...
Old 10-12-2014, 09:53 PM   #37
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Incandescent light color temperature is predictable and easy to adjust but florescent and LED lights use mixture that emits light when exposed to flow of electrons. If this mixture is off a minuscule amount from contamination, or poor quality control it can lower or increase a light wave length intensity causing unwanted color cast to light output. This can't be corrected with filters or other methods after the light is manufactured. What works is setting standards for light quality and testing that standards are met.

It is well documented that color balance of surrounding light can affect how a screen or picture looks to the human eye. Yet color photo printing filters were selected best by human eye looking at calibrated monitor showing how picture will look, compared to reference color picture that includes proper flesh tones and surrounding white area that calibrates the eye to white balance standard. This is how it was easiest done when I was printing color photos from color negatives.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:17 PM   #38
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
When I bought a LED torch I was able to choose the colour temperature of the LED. It would be good if they did that with ereaders, even if they can't control the colour during manufacturing they could grade the final product according to colour temerature of the frontlight.

(I prefer cool white, would settle for neutral white, wouldn't buy warm white).
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:00 PM   #39
desert dog
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Incandescent light color temperature is predictable and easy to adjust but florescent and LED lights use mixture that emits light when exposed to flow of electrons. If this mixture is off a minuscule amount from contamination, or poor quality control it can lower or increase a light wave length intensity causing unwanted color cast to light output. This can't be corrected with filters or other methods after the light is manufactured. What works is setting standards for light quality and testing that standards are met.

It is well documented that color balance of surrounding light can affect how a screen or picture looks to the human eye. Yet color photo printing filters were selected best by human eye looking at calibrated monitor showing how picture will look, compared to reference color picture that includes proper flesh tones and surrounding white area that calibrates the eye to white balance standard. This is how it was easiest done when I was printing color photos from color negatives.
Is it wrong to be proud that I understand this post.. grin.. well done filmo...
Old 10-12-2014, 11:03 PM   #40
desert dog
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
When I bought a LED torch I was able to choose the colour temperature of the LED. It would be good if they did that with ereaders, even if they can't control the colour during manufacturing they could grade the final product according to colour temerature of the frontlight.

So, you were able to get the color you wanted by the manufacturer assigning a color temp to the product? Sounds like that would work...
Old 10-12-2014, 11:44 PM   #41
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post

The issue here is that it Cree and Philips are the only ones which let you select tints based on the LED bins. Nichias also allows some choice with their 210 and 219 LEDs, but I don't think the 1-2mm LEDs used here would give you such an option.

It would be nice if they could have more consistent tints, but I'm not sure whether we can expect it without having the prices inflated even more.
Haesslich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:34 AM   #42
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
lighting conditions

You know it is a rather interesting thought, is my kobo light more yellow or blue etc...

Well I was looking at my AuraH2O and noticed that under different lights, such as fluorescent lighting in the house vs led lighting that the lighting for my H2O seemed to be slightly different. Now I know most will use the lighting on the unit at night, but I leave mine on all the time unless I am out doors. The reason for this is simply that the brighter screen makes it much easier to read for my eyes. Now I wonder if the issues with the different lighting colors that some seem to complain about is due to type of lighting that is on at home when one is reading. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this at all??

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:38 AM   #43
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
These are called RGB LEDs, meaning Red-Green-Blue. This is the same way that colour TVs or computer monitors work. There are three LEDs in each LED package and they cost significantly more than the white LEDs do.

And Kobo would have to add the firmware to let you manage the colour changes.

Kobo should have specified a specific colour temperature of white LEDs to their contract manufacturers, what remains to be seen is if they in fact made this specification, or if the manufacturers have ignored this specification. In either case, Kobo is responsible for the variation in LED colours that people are seeing.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:00 AM   #44
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
The way to user adjusting a control to get the color of front light you want is applied use of color additive theory using different intensity of 3 primary color lights, (blue, green, red) to get any color. This is how color TV works and is now easier than ever with LED lights and digital switching of each individual light. This could drain battery a little faster than existing front light.

http://www.geog.ucsb.edu/~jeff/115a/additive.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Additive_color
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #45
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
My replacement H20 was clear and much whiter than the original H20.

Pity it doesn't actually work properly!
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote