Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-16-2014, 02:10 AM   #1
dimi5
dimi5 is a glorious beacon of lightdimi5 is a glorious beacon of lightdimi5 is a glorious beacon of lightdimi5 is a glorious beacon of lightdimi5 is a glorious beacon of lightdimi5 is a glorious beacon of lightdimi5 is a glorious beacon of lightdimi5 is a glorious beacon of lightdimi5 is a glorious beacon of lightdimi5 is a glorious beacon of lightdimi5 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Aura
Aura H2O:Is the lowest frontlight setting to bright?

I'm quite interested in this device. However, as an owner of the kobo glo i can remeber that the lowest setting of the backlight (or to be correctly frontlight) on kobo glo was to hish that made it unpleasant to read in complete darkness (e.g. in a room at night without ambient light).

PS
Did somebody get the nightmode pluging running on the H2O?
dimi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:28 AM   #2
beedaddy
Zealot
beedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino shine 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi5 View Post
I'm quite interested in this device. However, as an owner of the kobo glo i can remeber that the lowest setting of the backlight (or to be correctly frontlight) on kobo glo was to hish that made it unpleasant to read in complete darkness (e.g. in a room at night without ambient light).
The H2O behaves here much better. In fact, 1% was for me a litte bit too dim, even in a completely dark room. 3% was peasant to read.
(But my first (and second) H2O had other issues, but I hope that I get today a perfect one.)
beedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2014, 07:00 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi5 View Post
The lowest light setting on the H2O is 0% -- best they could do without a hardware or software light switch. Mine comes on at 1% without issues in about 20 trials though I find that too dim for comfortable reading so I prefer the mythical 29%. Mythical since that bug has survived into yet another firmware edition where using the 1% steps patch, you get 27-28-28-30 though the mess in the 55-60 range is even worse.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The lowest light setting on the H2O is 0% -- best they could do without a hardware or software light switch.
Just for clarity for those without an H2O reading this: the 0% does turn the LED's off. You can see this if you look down the screen at the LED's and turn it down to 0% and it's very clear that dim down and then when you get to 0% they go off. Just pointing this out for those who prefer no front light.
I advocated for an on/off toggle in the firmware that would allow you to turn the light off then back on to the same setting but as DNSB indicated that hasn't happened.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:27 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Just for clarity for those without an H2O reading this: the 0% does turn the LED's off. You can see this if you look down the screen at the LED's and turn it down to 0% and it's very clear that dim down and then when you get to 0% they go off. Just pointing this out for those who prefer no front light.
I advocated for an on/off toggle in the firmware that would allow you to turn the light off then back on to the same setting but as DNSB indicated that hasn't happened.
I agree that 0% turns the light off. I just rather have a software toggle since a hardware switch is not present which would let me turn the light off and on without having to change the lighting level. Perhaps a on/off toggle at the end of the popup displaying the current brightness level and adjustment controls?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2014, 05:16 PM   #6
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I agree that 0% turns the light off. I just rather have a software toggle since a hardware switch is not present which would let me turn the light off and on without having to change the lighting level. Perhaps a on/off toggle at the end of the popup displaying the current brightness level and adjustment controls?
Using coolreader i have a zone configured to toggle the light with a long tap.
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:09 PM   #7
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
A H2O on its lowest level is darker then a HD.
A HD on its lowest level is darker then a Glo (later production batches).
A Glo (later production batches) on its lowest level is darker then a Glo (early production batches).

So I would say it's a pretty good bet that the light won't be to bright for you.
I remember the same problem with my first glo (the first models available in Europe at the time), the second Glo I bought half a year later for my father had a far less harsh light.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote