Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-30-2014, 08:16 AM   #1
Robin.Hood
Robin.Hood began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch Glowlight/Sony PRS-T2/Pocketbook 622/Cybook Ocean
Question Help needed. Editing PDF's, saving highlights. Which device to buy?

Hey,

I've been reading way too much fora on e-readers this weekend and now decided to ask you, people with a bit more experience on the subject.

I'm thinking about buying an e-reader but... when I highlight text on the reader I want to be able to open the PDF files on my pc including the highlights I made on the reader.

My fear is that this is impossible to edit the PDF file like I can on my computer. I've also opened a thread on XDA because of the Nook Touch can be rooted and well.. this might be a solution. Anyone here might know this?

Otherwise, is there any other way to get the highlights made on a reader exported and added to PDFs' on a computer.

In short:
  • I'm searching for an e-reader not a tablet!.
  • I want it to have good support of PDF (most of it just text as I read philosophical papers mostly).
  • I want to be able too see highlights made on my PC on my reader and visa versa.
Well I hope I'm not asking to much of you and of the reader. I would also be happy with a reader which can export highlights and then add them to a PDF on my PC. As long as both files are well 'in sync' as it comes to highlights.

Here are a few readers I've been looking at:
Nook Touch Glowlight/Sony PRS-T2/Pocketbook 622/Cybook Ocean

I wonder what you all think!
Robin.Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:37 AM   #2
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Honestly, e-ink e-readers just aren't good for rendering PDFs. None of the e-readers you listed would be good highlighting and reading PDFs. If I had to choose, I would pick the Sony. Sony has a rep for be better with PDFs than other e-ink readers (although that isn't saying much). Plus, you likely won't get support for the PRS-T2 (if you can find one) since Sony has gotten out of the e-reader business (in the US at least).
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2014, 08:50 AM   #3
Robin.Hood
Robin.Hood began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch Glowlight/Sony PRS-T2/Pocketbook 622/Cybook Ocean
Mmmm. Yeah. I was thinking of buying the Sony or the Nook. Sony still sells there devices here in the Netherlands.

I will look further into the Nook and a good PDF reader/editor which let's me add highlights to the PDF file. If I can sideload the APK on the rooted nook I guess that would be my best option.
Robin.Hood is offline   Reply With Quote