Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Daily/Weekly Indies at B&N

So we've been discussing here and there the various feelings on the board about KDP Select and how it makes some B&N customers sad.

I thought I'd put my money where my mouth is and give up "one soda a day" ($2.99 or less) to buy a B&N PubIt books. Since I absolutely cannot READ one book a day, this may stretch out to a week, otherwise my TBR list will skyrocket painfully.

I thought it would be fun to post what I get here, and see if anyone has some recommendations since the B&N recommends/search-engine isn't the best in the world. (No self-promotion, though -- that goes in another forum.)
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The indie I bought today is "Oppression" by Therrien.

I thought the cover looked beautiful, and apparently it's about a near-immortal who is basically a Greek god. Swiffy!

I found this one from the PubIt page. None of the other front page items caught my eye, so I may need recommends for tomorrow. (I'm in a fantasy mood lately. And good sci-fi.)

And if anyone else is buying to encourage B&N indie sales, feel free to post them here. With links! (But not affiliate ones.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oppression.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	83499  

Last edited by anamardoll; 03-05-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Advert
Old 03-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
You have an interesting idea of attempting to support independent authors, however I have my own ax to grind with the book publication industry as a whole that probably arrives at the same conclusion that your ideas do however via a different route. My own ax to grind is about the outrageous prices that we are paying for litterature these days. Since I bought my electronic reader approximatly a year ago I have found that I can obtain my books at a lot less then what they generally sell for in the neighborhood book stores, and as a consequence I am simply not willing to pay what the neighborhood book store charges for books. If I can get the books to feed my adicition to reading at far less then the book store charges why should I ever pay what the book store charges. My current limit is $6. Most times I get my books for $0 and no I am not reading project gutenburg books. I am currently going through the Ring of Fire books. If independent authors and book sellers are willing to meet my requirements for cheaper book prices, fine I will consider buying from them but if they insist in charging the terribly overpriced $10 and above price tag I won't even consider them. Incidently the publishers that I having been buying from tend not to be a part of the agency publishing model (I have no respect for them at all).
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Thanks for the tip about Oppression. I haven't decided whether to buy it, but I am thinking about it. (It isn't the price; rather, I'm debating whether it is the type of story I would enjoy. I suspect I'll buy it because even if I find I don't enjoy it, I'm not out much.)
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Today's is The Flaming Sword, because a friend of a friend said it was good. It has several rating, but no meaningful reviews, but it's a dollar and I love the cover.

I don't know who "Uncle Mylar" is, but I hope his adventures involve giant balloons, because that's what the name makes me think of for some reason. I have no idea why.

Quote:
My own ax to grind is about the outrageous prices that we are paying for litterature these days. Since I bought my electronic reader approximatly a year ago I have found that I can obtain my books at a lot less then what they generally sell for in the neighborhood book stores, and as a consequence I am simply not willing to pay what the neighborhood book store charges for books.
Well, that too. I mean, I don't mind paying the occasional $10 for a NYT bestseller that I checked out at the library and I loved and I want it, so okay, but... it's very annoying when I could buy MORE books from half-price stores than I can for my e-reader.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	flaming-sword.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	83543  

Last edited by anamardoll; 03-06-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Advert
Old 03-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I really love the idea that you are doing!! I may even buy some! Keep posting! I'll be looking!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
I really love the idea that you are doing!! I may even buy some! Keep posting! I'll be looking!
Thank you. I hope no one minds the thread -- it was sort of inspired by the "why shouldn't I go Amazon-exclusive" conversations we've been having, and keeping the thread open reminds me every morning "Oh, yeah! Go buy an indie book!"

Previously, I was buying on the weekends, if I remembered, which was tricky when Real Life intervened.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Today I woke up feeling very sad and overwhelmed, but then I remembered it was INDIE DAY. (Every day is indie day!) So that made me feel better.

Today's indie book is ZOMG AMANDA HOCKING BOOK that appears to be about zombies. And it's a dollar. Tell me that doesn't make you happy! It makes me happy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hollowland.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	83592  
Old 03-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Sorry, but it doesn't make me happy. I don't like books about zombies or werewolves or paranormal romance, to name a few.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #10
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Well, here's a post-apocalypse novel that doesn't have zombies for the zombie-haters!

Arena One, by Morgan Rice. Which is described as basically like The Hunger Games except not like The Hunger Games at all! Since the first review lays out all the copious ways the book is different (which I appreciate, thank you, Reviewer!), it sounds like it has the desperate "feel" of THG but in a completely different world-building scenario. I can dig that.

(This book is over my $2.99 limit, but I've gotten several 99 cent ones in this thread, and I think it evens out.)

Also: This is SO MUCH FUN. I now have, like, eight Firefox tabs open to PubIt books I want to buy. It's like getting a present every day before Christmas.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	arena-one.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	83619  
Old 03-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #11
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Today's is what looks like a transhumanism, or possibly cyber-punk?, novel about Eve and the Garden of Eden. Why not? "Eden" by Keary Taylor. Apparently it's not just an indie book, it's going to be an indie movie. And it has a gorgeous cover. Yowzas.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	eden.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	83681  
Old 03-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #12
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Zombies. Blearg!

Not a bad idea going into B&N after PubIt! books. Whenever I get in there, though, every search I do through a specific genre bounces me into best-sellers by major publishers and old classics. One nice thing: I found the latest version of Solaris, the new translation, that I was expecting to come out next month.

(And I always wonder who I have to #*@% to get onto one of those front pages with even one of my books...)

Know what else: The PubIt! "science fiction and fantasy" section is probably 95% fantasy. No sales...

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 03-10-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #13
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Are you going from this page?

The Subject links on the left seem to be the whole store (i.e., non-indie books, too); the Subject links on the main page (with the pictures) seem to be narrowed by indie.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:35 AM   #14
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Today's book is...free, which I didn't even notice until I went to buy it. (I'd started with the third in the series, realized my mistake before I bought that one, clicked through for the first one, decided to buy, and then saw it was a freebie. LOL.)

Call of the Herald by Brian Rathbone.

Decent reviews overall, and I kind of like the style of the color (reminds me a little of Avernum art). Even if the cover girl is doing a boobs-and-butt.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	151126546.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	83719  
Old 03-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #15
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Are you going from this page?

The Subject links on the left seem to be the whole store (i.e., non-indie books, too); the Subject links on the main page (with the pictures) seem to be narrowed by indie.
Yeah, that's the sort that doesn't work well for me, because it's 95% fantasy and romance. If I try any of the subcategories at the bottom, I get major pubs and best-sellers.

(No wonder everyone hangs in Amazon...)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote