Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-02-2013, 11:26 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Anyone Figured Out Where Kindle for W8 Stores Books Yet?

Just wondering

Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:43 AM   #2
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Just wondering

I just got a new Windows 8 computer. But rather than installing the Windows 8 version of Kindle for PC I installed the version for Windows 7 (I don't use the Metro UI, which is what the Windows 8 version supports). Anyway, it works fine so far and it immediately found and is using my files that I'd simply copied over from my old computer (this subdirectory [folder] was created by Kindle for PC on that old computer). This is the location:

C:\Users\alan\Documents\My Kindle Content

Hope this helps.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:23 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Unfortunately, Alan, that's not what's being asked. We all know where "Kindle for PC" stores its books. The question that's being asked is where the W8 Metro App stores its books.

The answer, as far as I know, is that no, it hasn't yet been figured out. The most likely answer is that it's in some kind of database.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool hoped it would help

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unfortunately, Alan, that's not what's being asked. We all know where "Kindle for PC" stores its books. The question that's being asked is where the W8 Metro App stores its books.

The answer, as far as I know, is that no, it hasn't yet been figured out. The most likely answer is that it's in some kind of database.
I, of course knew that, but hoped that maybe my recent experiences with the Windows 7 version would help the situation in some way.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unfortunately, Alan, that's not what's being asked. We all know where "Kindle for PC" stores its books. ....
Nice..
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
But true, nonetheless. I wasn't criticising Alan, but the fact that Kindle for PC stores its books in the "My Kindle Content" subdirectory of "My Documents" is something that probably everyone who use K4PC as a part of their book processing workflow knows.

What the mystery is - and what Sydney's Mom was asking - is where the Windows 8 Kindle Metro App stores its books. It doesn't store them in a folder. Nobody knows where the heck it stores them (hence the frequent questions on the subject). This means that you can't use the Metro App for the common task of downloading books and transferring them to Calibre.

Fortunately - and as Alan states - you can happily have Kindle for PC and the Metro App installed on the same PC, so using the Metro App (as one might well wish to on a tablet PC, for example) doesn't prevent one from using K4PC for the task of downloading books and transferring them for Calibre.

No rudeness intended in my previous reply, but you have to understand the reason for the question (which many have asked, but unfortunately none can currently answer).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
FreeBird
FreeBird doesn't litterFreeBird doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite WiFi
Hi all,
just found where the Amazon Kindle Metro App for W8 stores the books. Unfortunately I think it's not very useful because the books are split in a lot of small files. Anyway if someone wants to play with this information, the path is:

\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Packages\AMZNMobil eLLC.KindleforWindows8_<someCharacters>\LocalState \cache\

Have fun
FreeBird
FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #8
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Thanks, all. K4PC sits happily on my desktop. Other than that, I love Windows 8.

Debra
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote