Notices

Old 01-23-2021, 08:59 AM   #2461
jiembe
Zealot
jiembe began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo; Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Most likely @jiembe copied the Calibre from hi Windows 10 system.

Your solution is to upgrade to Windows 10.
Nope. I installed Calibre on windows 7 32 bits originally with version 3. Pass to 64 bits with version 4 and upgraded it since. I installed it on windows 10 last year only.

Installer never block anything.

ADD. Maybe it was Calibre version 2 originally.

Last edited by jiembe; 01-23-2021 at 09:03 AM.
jiembe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:32 AM   #2462
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiembe View Post
Nope. I installed Calibre on windows 7 32 bits originally with version 3. Pass to 64 bits with version 4 and upgraded it since. I installed it on windows 10 last year only.

Installer never block anything.

ADD. Maybe it was Calibre version 2 originally.
You said you are using the last version of Calibre on Windows 7. That would be 5.9 back then. So how did you install Calibre 5.9 on Windows 7?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2021, 03:27 PM   #2463
jiembe
Zealot

Quote:
You said you are using the last version of Calibre on Windows 7. That would be 5.9 back then. So how did you install Calibre 5.9 on Windows 7?
I talk through my hat there. I check back my 7 machine and find that I haven't upgrade it to Calibre 5. Sorry. I use the 7 for other purpose now so my wrongful and unthinking affirmation (which was right until 5).
Old 01-23-2021, 05:34 PM   #2464
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I talk through my hat there. I check back my 7 machine and find that I haven't upgrade it to Calibre 5. Sorry. I use the 7 for other purpose now so my wrongful and unthinking affirmation (which was right until 5).
Do you have Calibre 4.23 on your Windows 7 machine? It's the only version of Calibre that's compatible with Calibre 5 since Calibre 5 changed the database format.
Old 01-30-2021, 08:05 AM   #2465
jiembe
Zealot

Quote:
Do you have Calibre 4.23 on your Windows 7 machine? It's the only version of Calibre that's compatible with Calibre 5 since Calibre 5 changed the database format.
Sorry for the delay. Yes, it is the version on my windows 7 PC. It's too bad we can try the version 5. I would have prefer an advice against with a choice to try it anayway.
Advert
Old 01-30-2021, 08:25 AM   #2466
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Sorry for the delay. Yes, it is the version on my windows 7 PC. It's too bad we can try the version 5. I would have prefer an advice against with a choice to try it anayway.
You can download the latest Calibre 5 and extract the files from the MSI and copy them into the Calibre2 directory to see if it works. But first make a copy of the directory with 4.23 installed.

Here is a list of programs you can try to extract the MSI.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-v...rom-a-msi-file
Old 02-07-2021, 09:46 PM   #2467
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I'm not sure if this would also be present with the regular Kobo driver.

I ran into a glitch where between the length of multiple (long) author names and the .kepub extension, the filepath seemed to hit some sort of limit and truncated part of my custom save path ({#kobopath}/{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}) , resulting it ending up in K:\Fanion\ instead of \Fanfiction\.

Thankfully I was able to fix it with a {author_sort:sublist(0,1,&)} to show only the main author, but I found it strange that it truncated the path instead of the filename. Did I make a user error?

Last edited by ownedbycats; 02-07-2021 at 09:50 PM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:32 AM   #2468
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I'm not sure if this would also be present with the regular Kobo driver.

I ran into a glitch where between the length of multiple (long) author names and the .kepub extension, the filepath seemed to hit some sort of limit and truncated part of my custom save path ({#kobopath}/{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}) , resulting it ending up in K:\Fanion\ instead of \Fanfiction\.

Thankfully I was able to fix it with a {author_sort:sublist(0,1,&)} to show only the main author, but I found it strange that it truncated the path instead of the filename. Did I make a user error?
The path creation is done by calibre. The drivers supply a maximum path length and calibre works something out in that. It does tend to shorten the actual file name more than the rest of the path, but, I have seen this myself. I use a couple of different libraries, and put the library name first. Occasionally the library name gets shortened. From a quick look at the code, all parts of the path can be shortened, but the longer the part, the more will be taken from it. Hence the file name part will usually be changed the most.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:56 AM   #2469
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The original truncated path was exactly 180 characters (setting author_sort to a sublist shortened it to 156) and the filename did change quite a bit. If it had been able to display in full, it would've been 205 characters.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 02-08-2021 at 02:59 AM.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:43 AM   #2470
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
The original truncated path was exactly 180 characters (setting author_sort to a sublist shortened it to 156) and the filename did change quite a bit. If it had been able to display in full, it would've been 205 characters.
The driver sets the maximum path length to 185 characters. With it needing to remove 20 characters, I am not surprised the first directory was touched.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:29 PM   #2471
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Which probably means the epub-to-epub conversion sorted out the font and obfuscation problem. And the book on the Kindle is not that relevant as Kindles do not support epubs and you had to do a conversion to a supported format.

From the error you posted, and looking at the calibre code, I know roughly what is wrong. How different apps/functions handle that is different. For example, I think you get a similar error from the calibre editor, but, I think the calibre viewer will show it. But, maybe it won't use the embedded font. Same goes for if you put it on a Kobo device as an epub.

I'd be interested to see the original version of the epub and see if there is something we can handle. I don't know if the ScrambleEbook plugin would work on it or not. It might break in the same way. If you can get it to me in some way, I'd like to test it.
Just so you know that this wasn't an isolated problem, I had my fourth book with this problem this morning. Books don't seem to have much in common, otherwise. Different publishers. Converting the books to epub and thence to kepub solves the problem and then they load normally. I don't know how to get any of these books to you, unfortunately.

Jim
Strether is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:09 PM   #2472
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
Just so you know that this wasn't an isolated problem, I had my fourth book with this problem this morning. Books don't seem to have much in common, otherwise. Different publishers. Converting the books to epub and thence to kepub solves the problem and then they load normally. I don't know how to get any of these books to you, unfortunately.
Just to be clear, the driver expects a valid book. If the book has errors in it, the driver will have problems and reject the book.

The conversion to epub works as it will (almost always) produce a valid book. And the conversion to kepub using the Kepub Output plugin worked as it is largely a wrapper around the epub conversion. It basically does a conversion to epub and then does the kepub work.

Not supporting errors in books was a deliberate decision when the driver was written. The driver does have an option to allow the books to be sent as epubs if there are any errors in the kepubification process. Whether the epub will work on the device will depend on the error in the book.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:14 PM   #2473
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Question: How do I force KoboTouchExtended to delete an existing subtitle when a template returns blank? I accidentally subtitled a bunch of books "dummytemplatetest" and can't remember what I did before to fix it.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 02-28-2021 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:55 AM   #2474
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

The driver should be changing any subtitle that does not match what is on the device. That includes clearing it. There was a bug around this, but, I fixed it a little while ago.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:06 PM   #2475
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Here's the template, put in the Subtitle field:

Code:
program:
	if field('#fanficcat') then
		template("{#fanficcat:'sublist(list_sort($, 0, ','), 0,1,',')'} | {#fanficstatus}")
	fi
It returns no value for books that don't have a populated #fanficcat, but for some reason it does not get rid of other subtitles.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 03-01-2021 at 04:14 PM.

Tags
error, kobo aura one