Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-29-2009, 06:45 AM   #61
sarikan
Zealot
sarikan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi Gogolo,
Apparently the new standby functionality wont be very helpful for us, continuously reading users. However, my dr1000 is on most of the day next to my computer, and I leave it aside, do something on the computer, sometimes make a phone call etc, and get back to reading. In this case, most of my battery power is gone during the time when I'm not reading anything. The new features should at least give this kind of usage a longer time interval.
sarikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:52 AM   #62
bazmi
Enthusiast
bazmi began at the beginning.

Device: irex dr 1000s, sony prs 700, 505, iliad BE. N800, SL6000, SL3200...
i can only hope that as far as the battery management is concerned - it will be such that it allows multiple books to be read on a single charge! if i read the posts, i get the impression that it will not be so. ;-(
will it also be possible to configure to have buttons disabled upon start ( i just hate their positioning)?

cant wait for the new software!
bazmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2009, 11:32 AM   #63
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarikan View Post
Hi Gogolo,
Apparently the new standby functionality wont be very helpful for us, continuously reading users.
How fast do you read? Even when I'm continuously reading, I'm not turning pages every couple seconds. Maybe I'm just a slow reader.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:34 AM   #64
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazmi View Post
i can only hope that as far as the battery management is concerned - it will be such that it allows multiple books to be read on a single charge! if i read the posts, i get the impression that it will not be so. ;-(
Some of the posts earlier in this thread were speculating about the usefulness of the suspend mode based on the incorrect "after X minutes" typo in the original announcement. I think when you go back and look at it again using "after X seconds", it changes things.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:37 AM   #65
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogolo View Post
What worries me a bit, that it shall take 2 sec to wake up. So if you set it to sleep between page turns, a page turn will take a bit too long for me.
But we will see.
Yeah, I'm interested in how well that works too. I've seen the amount of time to wake up as everything from "near instantaneous" to "less than 2 seconds" to "2 seconds". Not really sure what to make of all of that other than to just wait and see.
Advert
Old 01-29-2009, 11:55 AM   #66
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Yeah, I'm interested in how well that works too. I've seen the amount of time to wake up as everything from "near instantaneous" to "less than 2 seconds" to "2 seconds". Not really sure what to make of all of that other than to just wait and see.
Considering that nearly every other ebook reader not made by iRex seems to be able to restart from this suspended state with only a negliable delay, a huge pause is really going to further shoot them in the foot. As soon as another large format eBook reader comes along that has similar specs, but better responsiveness, UI, etc. their potential customers will not buy from them at all based on the sheer amount of negativity being displayed on many forums regarding the DR.

What I want and crave is a "hibernate" function. I'm tired of shutting down and the restarting and having to then reopen everything I had open, especially when you have to re-enable writing and reinstate fullpage. I do hope the DR's habit of putting the bottom bar back in when you reopen a document that's supposed to be "full page" is addressed in a UI update. That's 3 menu presses right there to correct.
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #67
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
What I want and crave is a "hibernate" function. I'm tired of shutting down and the restarting and having to then reopen everything I had open, especially when you have to re-enable writing and reinstate fullpage.
That's the "standby" mode that they've talked about (aka suspend-to-flash). My understanding is that they are still planning on adding this in a future update. I assume the "Automatic Shutdown after X minutes" will be turned into "Suspend to Flash after X minutes".
Old 01-29-2009, 02:21 PM   #68
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Somewhere I've read here, that even the PRS500 takes 2 secs to wake up. But Im not shure, I dont own one.
Gogolo
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #69
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
That's the "standby" mode that they've talked about (aka suspend-to-flash). My understanding is that they are still planning on adding this in a future update. I assume the "Automatic Shutdown after X minutes" will be turned into "Suspend to Flash after X minutes".
Yeah, I know it's coming, I was hoping that it was coming with this update, but hey ho.
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:17 PM   #70
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
Yeah, I know it's coming, I was hoping that it was coming with this update, but hey ho.
I think it was originally supposed to, but pretty early on they said that this update would only have suspend, and standby would have to be done later. I'm guessing the complexity of this update was getting too much and they split it up in order to get the suspend mode done faster.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:36 AM   #71
sarikan
Zealot

Shaggy: what I was trying to say is I have a specific usage pattern that may not benefit from the update. I read, I stop for a while and write a piece of code, run it etc, then I pick up the reader and I'd like to switch to next page. At this point, if the suspend function is used, I'll have to wait at least two secs or more to switch to next page (page turn on its own is a couple of seconds, plus wake up from suspend status).
I would not like to work like this, so I'll set suspend timeout to something higher, and my dr1000 will eat battery while it is sitting on the desk as I'm writing code etc.
So suspending would definetely be useful, just not in my usual use case. Still, I'm tired of turning on and off just to preserve power, and suspend to ram would be great to avoid that.

Kind regards
Seref
Old 01-30-2009, 11:23 AM   #72
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarikan View Post
At this point, if the suspend function is used, I'll have to wait at least two secs or more to switch to next page (page turn on its own is a couple of seconds, plus wake up from suspend status).
I would not like to work like this, so I'll set suspend timeout to something higher, and my dr1000 will eat battery while it is sitting on the desk as I'm writing code etc.
We'll have to wait and see how long it takes for the device to 'wake up" from suspend mode. I've seen several conflicting numbers posted, depending on what source you're looking at. Hopefully it won't be too bad. But you're right, the higher you set the timeout, the less it'll extend your battery life.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:28 AM   #73
sarikan
Zealot

Well, if everthing goes as planned, we'll see it in 2 days
Old 02-02-2009, 04:04 AM   #74
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Karel on the iRex Forum:
Quote:
We decided to add a small last minute update from one of our suppliers, this is being test right now and we expect to release software version 1.5 on Wednesday.[/u]
http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?p=16533#16533
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reward_and_punishment.gif
Views:	224
Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	22493  
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:02 PM   #75
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
hahah, well there's an element of "adorable" the way these guys function you can tell that they are a start up, much different than what we are used to in the tec world nowadays...of course people can take it as equally amateusish and irritating and they wouldn't be to blame either...but I prefer to view it in a positive light. I mean the way big $$$ like ms and apple **** you over on a constant basis you can't really take it out on the small players for being a day or two late.
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote