Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-03-2016, 11:28 AM   #16
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
Did some testing in Linux. I tried various 1:1 copy utilities. Even dd.
I was able to backup the SD with dd but writing it back on another sd and using that image ist resulting in bootloop. Sorry.

Steps with dd:
dd if=/dev/sdc of=/home/user/pb626_image.dd bs=512 conv=noerror,sync
CHANGE SD and copy back to new sd:
dd of=/dev/sdc if=/home/user/pb626_image.dd bs=512 conv=sync,notrunc

But size of the SD from the PB626 was 3,7GB.
My 4GB SD cards were slightly smaller (3,67/3,69) or much bigger (8GB).

Last edited by nhedgehog; 11-03-2016 at 11:34 AM.
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:39 AM   #17
brucelee
Addict
brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Strange. Thanks anyway. I'll probably go tomorrow to the service.
brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2016, 12:27 PM   #18
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Something in Russian that could help:

https://geektimes.ru/post/158529/

http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showt...ost&p=31969367
Old 11-03-2016, 02:55 PM   #19
mihof
mihof has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mihof has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mihof has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mihof has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mihof has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle 4NT, Pocketbook Touch Lux 3
nhedgehog, did you try to update your pocketbook with the new card?
mihof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 03:37 PM   #20
nhedgehog
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihof View Post
nhedgehog, did you try to update your pocketbook with the new card?
Good idea, yes I did that too.
Update started and asked me to connect device to my computer. After that the update process took sometime but the it showed progress. The update finished and I landed in, guess what, the bootloop with the sandclock.
Advert
Old 11-04-2016, 09:56 AM   #21
mihof
mihof has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mihof has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mihof has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mihof has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mihof has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle 4NT, Pocketbook Touch Lux 3
Sorry to hear that, I already started to think about changing the card with a bigger...
Then only CID changing may work, i guess. It is not officially possible, but somewhere I read that is possible. I read that this program (may be) can do the job.

Last edited by mihof; 11-04-2016 at 10:09 AM.
mihof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:30 AM   #22
nhedgehog
Guru

Maybe, CID is mentioned in the swupdate.bin.
But before I pull my microsd out again I would like to collect some CID.
The attached windows program can read the CID out (only in a 64bit environment with .net 3,5 and integrated SD reader, not the USB things). Needs administrators rights. (Source: https://jo0ls-dotnet-stuff.blogspot....1_archive.html)

How to change a CID is described there (only for Samsung Evo Plus):
http://richard.burtons.org/2016/07/0...on-an-sd-card/
Attached Files
File Type: zip ReadCID.zip (8.8 KB, 1663 views)

Last edited by nhedgehog; 11-04-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:25 PM   #23
nhedgehog
Guru

Replace the internal microSD - Tutorial

Got it working, it was the CID.
I followed the tutorial there to change the CID:
http://richard.burtons.org/2016/07/0...on-an-sd-card/

Tutorial
-------

What You need:
Samsung EVO Plus Micro SD card (mine was a 64GB, 32GB seems to be working too)
Rooted Android Device
Compiled evoplus_cid (see above website)
CID of the internal MicroSD (see post before)

Steps:
0) Get Your microSD out of the Pocketbook by gently pressing on the smaller part of the microSD and pushing the whole card in the direction of the smaller side. Get your CID of the Pocketbook microSD via ReadCID. Output should look like:
------------------------------------------
\.\PhysicalDrive1 D:\
--------------------
Raw CID Bytes: E2-10-87-D5-A3-C2-12-B4-52-32-45-41-45-41-94-00
--------------------
Manufacturer ID: 83
OEM ID: NC
Product Name: NCard
Product Revision: 0.2
Product Serial Number: a5d0f463
Manufacture Date: 6/2015
--------------------

1) Connect Your rooted Android device via ADB.
Copy evoplus_cid on the rooted Android device into /data/local via adb
2) Give evoplus_cid executable and root privileges:
chmod chmod 0777 /data/local/evoplus_cid
3) Make sure you know which device your sd card is (mmcblk0/mmcblk1)
4) Run evoplus_cid :
/data/local/evoplus_cid /dev/block/mmcblk1 94414541453252b412c2a3d58710e2 (keep in mind to reverse order the CID pairs and skip the last zeros), check with ReadCID.exe if the CID now matches the one from Your PB626.
5) Copy the content of Your PB626 internal microSD via USB Image Tool/DD/Roadkills DiskImg or whatever program is able to do a 1:1 copy.

Have fun with Your device again and keep a copy of the microSD image somewhere safe and thank Richard Burton & Sean Beaupre for their efforts & tutorials to change the CID.

The mentioned CID and Product Serial Number are imagined. Mine are different.
This was just a proof of concept to be on the safe side if something happens to my internal microSD. I didn't check if I could resize the partitions on the microSD. That will be the next step.
Attached Files
File Type: zip evoplus_cid_arm.zip (6.5 KB, 1170 views)

Last edited by nhedgehog; 11-22-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:10 PM   #24
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Out of curiosity, did you try searching the filesystems on the SD card for the CID? Instead of changing the CID on the new card, perhaps you could change the expected CID if it is saved somewhere in one of the filesystems.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:02 PM   #25
nhedgehog
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Out of curiosity, did you try searching the filesystems on the SD card for the CID? Instead of changing the CID on the new card, perhaps you could change the expected CID if it is saved somewhere in one of the filesystems.
Good idea, no I didn't try it.
Did it now and found not the CID but the MicroSD Product Serial Number at HEX
17d008a8:
sdsn: 0x...........

I did change that now on the SD to the Product Serial Number of the SD but that didn't work (constant bootloop).

Last edited by nhedgehog; 11-05-2016 at 03:54 AM.
Old 12-23-2016, 03:59 PM   #26
brucelee
Addict
brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Hi guys.
Today I've got my device from the service dudes and I had to check out what's changed inside. They've replaced the MicroSDHC card just as you predicted.
I've attached pictures with it.

It seems it's very easy to get it out. Just press down and slide in the pins direction. Then release and it goes up. Reverse the steps to put it back. It doesn't seem very fixed though. I expect it to pop out if I drop the device or something (hopefully that won't happen).

Edit: Here are the pictures with the previous card I had:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...05#post3209805
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161223_224307.jpg
Views:	2990
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	153736   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161223_224333.jpg
Views:	1700
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	153737  
brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:51 PM   #27
nhedgehog
Guru

Glad you got it repaired at last!
I checked several devices I got my hands on and every one had errors in the filesystem which could in most cases be easily fixed with fsck -r /path_to_unmounted_device under linux. After some use I checked again and new filesystem errors had appeared. I looked under /etc/fstab on the devices and couldn't find any filesystem check at startup. Don't know if this is common with eareaders but thanks to the "open system" on the microsd cards mine do have a filesystem check at startup now.

Edit: The internal holder of the card holds it very fixed. I don't see a chance for the card to flip out if properly inserted.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:15 PM   #28
seventi
seventi began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO N647B
Can you make image of internal SD card and put on dropbox? My internal SD card is broken - it's read-only. I can't format it or do sth.

ps. you can do it by WinHex 16.1 - I can send you this program. You need to choose Tools -> Disk Tools -> Clone Disk. In source you choose: Generic SD-Multi-CARD and Destination: same file. Strat sector must be set 0 and "OK".

Last edited by seventi; 01-27-2017 at 08:19 PM.
seventi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:10 AM   #29
nhedgehog
Guru

Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventi View Post
Can you make image of internal SD card and put on dropbox? My internal SD card is broken - it's read-only. I can't format it or do sth.

ps. you can do it by WinHex 16.1 - I can send you this program. You need to choose Tools -> Disk Tools -> Clone Disk. In source you choose: Generic SD-Multi-CARD and Destination: same file. Strat sector must be set 0 and "OK".
The image wouldnt help you because it is working only on a MicroSD with the same serial number (CID).
I guess You have 3 possibilities:
1) Remove internal MicroSD and try to fix the 5 Partitions on it under Linux (unmounted with fsck -r /dev/sd?? [make sure to have the path right])
2) You can try to find an MicroSD with changeable CID (I described in this thread how [difficult]) or
3) Try contacting Pocketbook.:
I found in the Russian forum some infos regarding changing the internal SD: basically its goes like:
Get the serial nr of the new sd (CID), the correct size of the new sd, the serial number of your pocketbook and sent it all to:
service@pocketbook-int.ru
and they will charge something and provide you with an image for the new SD your device.
http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showt...#entry43270823
http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showt...#entry53893535 (They say this is quite affordable)
4) Pocketbook could provide you with a new MicroSD (more expensive).
Old 01-28-2017, 06:49 PM   #30
seventi
seventi began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO N647B
Thank you for answer. Yes, on oryginal SD-CARD are about 5 partitions.
Do you know how this software check this card id ?
How serial number is build ?

Maybe if we will find with Hex editor line with serial number in this image of full sd card, and change it to correct........? Or maybe this serial is in some system file? There are one EXT2 and one FAT16 partitions with system files.

I don't know. Maybe someone check it before?
seventi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pb626, pocketbook