Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 10:12 AM   #31
rogue_red
Enthusiast
rogue_red has a spectacular aura aboutrogue_red has a spectacular aura aboutrogue_red has a spectacular aura aboutrogue_red has a spectacular aura aboutrogue_red has a spectacular aura aboutrogue_red has a spectacular aura aboutrogue_red has a spectacular aura aboutrogue_red has a spectacular aura aboutrogue_red has a spectacular aura aboutrogue_red has a spectacular aura aboutrogue_red has a spectacular aura about

Device: iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
So any book written that advocated crime -- fiction or non-fiction -- makes the author a criminal?

I don't think so.

There is of course "Lolita" as mentioned elsewhere in the fiction category. Books on how to build bombs, steal cars, rob banks, etc. etc. etc.

Should all this authors be arrested?

What of the books that explain how to build an Atomic Bomb?
Kenny, fiction is not even part of the equation in this argument. Fiction is lies, just pretty lies. Non -Fiction is quite another matter. The author (Mr Greaves) is most definitely a criminal. I have spoken to him on the Amazon forums and he believes that a child of four can give consent and derive pleasure from sex with an adult. It is him and his 'how-to' pedophile guide and Amazon's choice to promote such material that is the issue. Books that describe how to commit crimes should be forbidden corporate sponsorship. People can write and read whatever they like but they should not be allowed to be advertised.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:12 AM   #32
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
Quote:
So any book written that advocated crime -- fiction or non-fiction -- makes the author a criminal?

I don't think so.

There is of course "Lolita" as mentioned elsewhere in the fiction category. Books on how to build bombs, steal cars, rob banks, etc. etc. etc.

Should all this authors be arrested?

What of the books that explain how to build an Atomic Bomb?
Sorry, but in Roman law countries "an instigation to a crime IS a crime" - as I called it. I didn't know that in Anglosaxon countries it was an expression of freedom - but I do think this is your own personal interpretation of freedom of speech.

Nabokov's Lolita has absolutely nothing to do with what we're talking about.
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #33
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
You are right. And when that happens we will no longer be the country we should be. (some will say we are already there)

The U.S.A. is a country built on the Rule of Law and the ideals of equality and freedom for all. When you start taking rights and freedoms away you are treading on dangerous ground.
You can't have it both ways, KC.

There is no such thing as "total freedom to do what you want"

There must be checks and balances in any civilized society.

You can quote taking away our freedoms and rights all you like.....but at the end of the day......if you support Amazons right to sell this book......you are on 'that' side.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_red View Post
I am so thrilled!!! I have been campaigning to have that book removed ever since I saw it. I contacted reporters, internet safety agencies and even wrote to the author. I am over the moon!!
It's not gone enough yet. It's still there in search even though the listing is gone. Amazon needs to got that one extra step to erase all traces of that book.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
From the V&R: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ostcount=13042

I'm sorry DGM but you do not get to decide what others publish or read regardless of whether you want to take responsibility for it or not. Freedom of speech is guaranteed (at least in the U.S.A.).

You can yell and stamp your feet and protest all you want, but you can't stop it.
Actually, if it has any information in it on how to have sex with a minor, then the book is illegal and has to stop being sold. This is not about freedom of speech, but what is legal and what is not legal and it's very possible that this book is illegal.
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #36
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
This is not a First Amendment or censorship issue. No government body ordered Amazon not to sell the book, or questioned Amazon's right to sell it. (FYI, this was a self-published book that apparently was published through the Amazon company CreateSpace.) But consumers have a right to judge Amazon by its sale of such a book, and that's what happened.
Exactly!
Old 11-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #37
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
You can't have it both ways, KC.

There is no such thing as "total freedom to do what you want"

There must be checks and balances in any civilized society.

You can quote taking away our freedoms and rights all you like.....but at the end of the day......if you support Amazons right to sell this book......you are on 'that' side.
Then we're clear.

Again you're right - you can't have it both ways. You can't have freedom of speech and restrict it.

You seem to want to be the 'decider' of who can publish or say what. I disagree, I say the law of the land gets to decide.

If the people decide to eliminate freedom of speech then it will be at the peril of all that has been done for the last 200+ years.

It really is very clear.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:20 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Kenny, what if someone bought that book and used it as a guide to having sex with YOUR child? Would that be OK with you? Would you still say it's a freedom to have the book sold on Amazon?
Old 11-11-2010, 10:20 AM   #39
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, if it has any information in it on how to have sex with a minor, then the book is illegal and has to stop being sold. This is not about freedom of speech, but what is legal and what is not legal and it's very possible that this book is illegal.
Wrong. Please provide the link to the published law that says this.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:22 AM   #40
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Kenny, what if someone bought that book and used it as a guide to having sex with YOUR child? Would that be OK with you? Would you still say it's a freedom to have the book sold on Amazon?
Irrelevant. But yes it is the authors right to say and publish it provided it does not violate any other laws (such as slander or defamation of character, etc.).
Old 11-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #41
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I fully support America's Freedom of Speech but I object to corporate sponsorship or fiscal support of material that promotes sex crimes against children.
I support the right of individuals to engage in any legal activity. If it's legal to create and sell such works as in the OP, then I support the author's right to do so; though personally, I find it quite abhorrent.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Yes I agree but I'm not discussing parental responsibilities. I'm discussing Amazon's responsibility as a retailer to and for children. Not all parents are diligent and Amazon do not provide any means of restricting access to adult or offensive material.
That's really not true. Amazon require that you are an adult in order to create an account, and you need an account in order to download material to a Kindle. I don't actually know of ANY bookstore, physical or online, which restricts access to material that is unsuitable for children. Rightly or wrong, unlike films and video games, books do not carry content classifications, and it's really not a bookstore's responsibility to create such a classification system.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:25 AM   #43
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I'm not sure why this is pitchfork-worthy. If Amazon wants to cull their offerings to promote an image, that's fine and dandy. If not, it's fine and dandy. It's a book, probably full of some offensive material. Just don't buy it.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:25 AM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

But is it really legal? It advocates an illegal activity. But one issue I really have is the sales it generated. It made it up to #96.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:27 AM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
I'm not sure why this is pitchfork-worthy. If Amazon wants to cull their offerings to promote an image, that's fine and dandy. If not, it's fine and dandy. It's a book, probably full of some offensive material. Just don't buy it.
Your neighbor bought the book, decides to try out what is contain in it and decides to use your child. Now how do you feel about the book?
Closed Thread