Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-23-2018, 06:06 PM   #16
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Does anyone have any background info on the green theme? Is that a new thing? What is it good for?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:27 PM   #17
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Does anyone have any background info on the green theme? Is that a new thing? What is it good for?
I don't think its ever been scientifically proven, but it has been claimed that green causes less eye strain.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:38 AM   #18
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
I don't think its ever been scientifically proven, but it has been claimed that green causes less eye strain.
Neat! Thanks! I'll give that a try some time then.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:24 AM   #19
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
I looks like poop, IMO. Amazon has no clue as to how to create decent reading backgrounds or themes.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle-green-theme.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	373.3 KB
ID:	165187  
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:28 AM   #20
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I thought I'd like it...I think there is a green option on some of the Fires in the Kindle reader. But this one is too saturated, too green.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:55 AM   #21
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I thought I'd like it...I think there is a green option on some of the Fires in the Kindle reader. But this one is too saturated, too green.
Agree. Amazon did what they tend to do with themes/backgrounds in the Kindle app, they made the background too dark and then used a darker version of the background color for the text. Darkish green background with dark green text is very difficult to read with my old eyes. Sepia is just as bad as they used darker brown text on the sepia background. If they used black text on the Green and Sepia themes then they would be easier on my eyes. As is they simply don't have enough contrast for comfortable reading. They went the opposite way with the Black theme by making it way too contrasty by using white text. On the Black theme a light grey text with dark grey background would be better on my eyes. As it is now I get the venetian blinds effect when using the Black theme.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:13 PM   #22
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Agree. Amazon did what they tend to do with themes/backgrounds in the Kindle app, they made the background too dark and then used a darker version of the background color for the text. Darkish green background with dark green text is very difficult to read with my old eyes. Sepia is just as bad as they used darker brown text on the sepia background. If they used black text on the Green and Sepia themes then they would be easier on my eyes. As is they simply don't have enough contrast for comfortable reading. They went the opposite way with the Black theme by making it way too contrasty by using white text. On the Black theme a light grey text with dark grey background would be better on my eyes. As it is now I get the venetian blinds effect when using the Black theme.
I agree about uselessness of dark brown/green text vs. black text.

I read with Black theme pretty much all of the time, and agree it is just a bit too white sometimes, but I like it far better than White theme. It turns out if you go to Settings app, General/Accessibility/Display Accommodations has something called Reduce White Point. I turned it on at 25% (lowest setting) and it does seem to reduce the harshness, without too much impact to contrast or overall appearance. I plan to try it for awhile to see if I like it.

Last edited by tomsem; 07-24-2018 at 08:41 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:41 PM   #23
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

The Black theme still gives me the venetian blinds effect no matter how I setup the device. However, my iPad Pro with adjustable True Tone allows me set the warmth level, so I’m able to use the White theme to read in lower light areas and during the day too. Unfortunetely, my iPhone 7 doesn’t have the True Tone feature, so I squint a lot.

Last edited by OtinG; 07-24-2018 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:43 AM   #24
Shadowxaf
Shadowxaf began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro 10.5”
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
On the Black theme a light grey text with dark grey background would be better on my eyes.
I found a way to get white text on a gray background.

Enable invert colors in the accessibility options. You can set it to a triple click of the home button for easy access.

In the Aa menu, select the white background and drag the brightness slider until the background is your preferred shade of gray.
Shadowxaf is offline   Reply With Quote