Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-16-2023, 02:42 AM   #1
MRM66
Connoisseur
MRM66 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung A7 & A8 Tab.Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.00 & Kindle 2.
Question What happens when Amazon stops supporting mobi?

So if Amazon stops supporting mobi what options do I have to still download kindle books to calibre and convert to epub?

Dont understand the changes and when will it be?
MRM66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 04:30 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
In azw3, but you need a KK3 or later eink.
Technically the Kindle DXG is just after the Kindle gen 3 Keyboard, but it's a DX with an updated screen, and can't read azw3.

I never download mobi except to test a new style we do on one of our ebooks, which is why I keep the otherwise useless DXG on my Amazon account as well as the later kindles (KK3 and PW3).

There is zero indication of Amazon ceasing to support mobi (KF7 version) or azw3 (KF8).

No-one knows what Amazon may do in the future. They may change from mobi to KFX for the Kindle iOS app if Apple is forced to allow other web renderers than webkit used in Safari, which seems likely.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2023, 07:07 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
No-one knows what Amazon may do in the future. .

Ain't that the truth.

Whatever, it won't be making it easy for the user to leave the walled garden.

IMHO They did not learn from the IBM PC. What made it great was the OPEN Architecture that encouraged many support players in the marketplace.

Then they tried to fix their error with micro-channel (closed).

Kindles made it easy to get content without needing to know more than their credit card #, if that was all the owner wanted to learn how to do.
The connection to the store was built in. Nothing else needed. Which is why I used to recommend them to non-techies KISS

Then the started building the WALL
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 08:38 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The original PC was a sort of skunks-work out of a catalogue, hence the crippled 8088 (Neither 8088 or 8086 was a real 16 bit CPU, no flat address space). IBM was surprised when it was a success. There were plenty of better OS (PC-DOS/MSDOS was obsolete already being a port of CP/M) and real 16 bit cpus (both 3rd party and IBM in house 16 bit). The success of PC and MS-DOS held back consumer/business computing for nearly 10 years.

By 1980 (PC announced in USA) UNIX was 14 years old and the first sort of free UNIX (BSD) was 2 years old. There were loads of other decent OS by 1980, but as the 8088/8086 wasn't a real 16 bit CPU and was really just an 8085 with more 64K address chunks and some more 16 bit instructions it could only run the 8086 versions of CP/M 80, actual CP/M 86 and the clone PC-DOS/MS-DOS.

The MCA was 6 years after IBM-PC was sold in UK & Ireland. The EISA came out a year later and was much more successful, though rare other than on servers. Many of the PCs using MCA by IBM were underspec'ed. They doomed it.
Then PCI was 1993. However the VESA MoBo expansion of ISA was a disaster though still in use unfortunately in 1990s.

Last edited by Quoth; 02-16-2023 at 08:45 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 08:31 AM   #5
MRM66
Connoisseur

Question

Don't understand all of that it sounds very complicated lol
Does it mean I won't be able to add my new ebooks to Calibre in the future?
I buy lots of them and need to keep them in a library to convert also
Advert
Old 03-10-2023, 11:32 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM66 View Post
Calibre does Mobi (and I can't think of why Kovid would end that) in.
What the big A's (the 2 gorillas known for higher walls) won't change that.

I have a custom column that I track the original imported format. In many cases you want to avoid conversions of conversions (we called it copies of copies back when burning CD from records) The original is cleanest in most cases (except when PDF).
So when you need a New format , Manually select you best format as source as start of conversion. (conversion normally looks a the Preferences: Behavior list order to see which of those YOU HAVE, to pick from
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 11:40 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
The mobi support or lack of it by Amazon has nothing to do with being able to add new Kindle books to Calibre. They are completely different things.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 03:01 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Even when Amazon does finally stop supporting Mobi, they won't stop Kindles from being able to display them. Also, some eBooks (using Kindle Create) are only available as Mobi or KFX. And I cannot see Amazon stopping the downloading of Mobi for older Kindles for eBooks that already have Mobi.

I see Amazon stopping support as of a given date. Just like they are doing with older versions of the Kindle app for eBooks publish Jan 3 2023+.

Yes, Calibre will still support Mobi even when Amazon stops.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 04:30 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

Calibre does Mobi (and I can't think of why Kovid would end that). What the big A's [do] (the 2 gorillas known for higher walls) won't change that.
'Bout time Biden tore apart the near monopoly of one those gorilla's like Nixon (or was it Ford) started doing against another big A in the 1970s.

IIRC you used to work for that one

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 04:35 PM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
IIRC you used to work for that one
As did I. BTL Murray Hill was a fantastic place to work in the 70s & early 80s. Don't know about being there after that.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 04:51 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
As did I. BTL Murray Hill was a fantastic place to work in the 70s & early 80s. Don't know about being there after that.
I visited Murray Hill a couple of times in the late 70s when I was with DEC. We may have passed one another in a corridor. The demise of Bell Labs was the saddest outcome of the AT&T breakup, is it still Lucent?

BR
Old 03-10-2023, 05:11 PM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I visited Murray Hill a couple of times in the late 70s when I was with DEC. We may have passed one another in a corridor.
If you visited the Unix lab in the CS Research Center in 1977-1979 then we almost certainly did. I remember DEC people coming by to talk about what happens after the 11/70 and the 11/23.
Quote:
The demise of Bell Labs was the saddest outcome of the AT&T breakup, is it still Lucent?
It went through several stages and now seems to be Nokia Bell Labs. I don't know what they do. My friends all left some 20 years ago or more.

And yes, we are So be it.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 05:31 PM   #13
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
So if Amazon stops supporting mobi what options do I have to still download kindle books to calibre and convert to epub?

Dont understand the changes and when will it be?
Is there a special reason that you need mobi? Maybe I'm not understanding the question as all my kindles from Kindle Keyboard through the Signature can use azw3. I have always just downloaded from the Content and Devices and then loaded into Calibre. After converting (everything) into azw3, I sideload onto the ereaders. It's my understanding that the people that will have some problem are the ones who own no Kindles at all, and we have members here who are in that boat.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 05:50 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
. . .

And yes, we are So be it.
One of the visits was about a speech synthesis prototype that became DECtalk. Forget what the other was about… might have been VAX/VMS

PS: I knew Nokia and Siemens had merged, but I missed the take over of Alcatel/Lucent, who's next… Ericsson?

Enough already.

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-10-2023 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-09-2023, 02:32 AM   #15
MRM66
Connoisseur

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Is there a special reason that you need mobi? Maybe I'm not understanding the question as all my kindles from Kindle Keyboard through the Signature can use azw3. I have always just downloaded from the Content and Devices and then loaded into Calibre. After converting (everything) into azw3, I sideload onto the ereaders. It's my understanding that the people that will have some problem are the ones who own no Kindles at all, and we have members here who are in that boat.
I need Mobi (as I thought) to add books to my 2nd generation Kindle via download via usb and convert to mobi in calibre)
Sometimes my wifi on my kindle slows up.
So what format do I choose now then to convert for pc and kindle?