Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-30-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Why so many ereaders???

I have seen that many here have several ereaders. Now I know some have tablets but Im talking about the people here who have not just 2 but 4, 5 or even 6 E-INK ereaders. I can understand that after a couple years someone may want to upgrade and they still have their old one.
But Im talking about the people who seem to buy a new ereader every few months or weeks for that matter and they keep them all. (though I do know some people sell ones they are not happy with)

Why have all these ereadrers. I bought a 350 a few weeks back and immediately sold my 650. I am happy with it and dont see the need for multiple devices because I know I would never use them and it would just be a waste of money. Plus the fact e-ink readers have seemed to reach a temporary ceiling when it comes to options. They all do basically the same thing and the screens are pretty much all the same now.

So why do people have so many?? Im guessing its a combination of impulse buying, talking yourself into needing a "to go" ereader" or just plain old obssession. Not that theres anything wrong with that.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I've never understood that either. I can only read 1 at a time. Then again I do have 2 tablets. But that's different! Actually having two tablets allows the kids to play with one while I use the other. So that's a good enough excuse for me. But yeah, back to the eink....not sure. I just have the kindle touch.

Last edited by monkeyluis; 11-30-2011 at 09:35 AM.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:09 AM   #3
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I have bought several eInk readers out of curiousity. I have been tempted to keep them all since I have seen good in most of them, but I have forced myself to pass the ones I didn't use myself on to other people. (Family, friends, friends of friends...) And I do mean "forced"! It has taken many discussions with my inner hording self to be able to let go!

I now use my Sony 950 when I'm at home, and my Sony 350 is for "on the go".

I also have a Nook 1st Edition that I still love, but keep mainly to be able to give support to the 13-year-old girl that got one and can't get any help from her parents when something doesn't look right on her device.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:17 AM   #4
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I think many of us used to hoard books. Now we hoard eBooks and eReaders.

I'm going to donate my K2 to the library, as soon as I'm done saying good-bye and I feel emotionally ready. Oh, and I took the nook Color off my list because I hardly ever touch it anymore. But I haven't begun the thought process of passing it onto a good home yet.

I have a lighted case that will fit a Kindle Keyboard and an awful urge to buy a Kindle Keyboard just to put into the case. It seems wrong to have an empty case.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #5
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Being the first on the local block to own one. Being able to read directly different formats with out jumping through hoops.

Keeping up with the Joneses and bragging rights!
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Two eyes, two ereaders.

Two ears, two audiobook players.

With a bit of training, you can read two books and listen to two audiobooks all at the same time.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:55 AM   #7
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well, duh, one for each book, silly.

What else to fill your library room with when there is no more paper?
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Two eyes, two ereaders.

Two ears, two audiobook players.

With a bit of training, you can read two books and listen to two audiobooks all at the same time.
Gee that sounds like fun. What about 4 or 6 readers??
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:37 AM   #9
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Gee that sounds like fun. What about 4 or 6 readers??
Maybe if you have really sensitive fingertips, you can read them like Braille.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:11 AM   #10
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I have multiple readers, but only use 2 of them. One I carry everywhere because it is small & fits in my purse easily. The other I read at night with (KTSO).

I have two types because I like the bargains I can get at amazon, but I also have the Sony 350 because it had a touch screen first & I like the size.

I will be getting rid of my other readers though. My Nook Classic & K3 will be going to friends.

I guess I like trying new readers. I loved the Sony T1 but it had too many glitches. When & if it is fixed, I may get it because I think it is the best reader of all I have tried.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:51 AM   #11
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
The rocket is basically dead now. The batteries only last about 20 minutes. I still have some books that can only be read on the Rocket. The Nook classic is where I do most of my reading. The Nook Color gets used as a tablet. I don't really like reading on it. It's a decent web browser tablet. The kids like Angry Birds too. The Kobo is what I give the kids when they need to read something that I have in e form or when I want to read something I have in cbr/cbz format.

Greg Weeks
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:52 AM   #12
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Variety is the spice of life.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
one can never have too many ebook readers.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:09 PM   #14
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Some people tell me variety is the spice of life, they like to cary different readers on different days to shake up the routine. I have only one though.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:09 PM   #15
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
It is my intention to eventually have an ereader or tablet lying convenienly every place I used to keep books or magazines.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote