Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-31-2008, 04:26 AM   #1
vivek_cbe
vivek_cbe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
can anyone tell me what "reflow" means

Hello everyone,

I am about to own a PRS 505 reader. I have been following the news related to this reader and find a lot of reference to "reflow" support for PDF files. Could anyone please explain in layman's term what this means?

thanks - Vivek
vivek_cbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:03 AM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
As I understand it, 'reflow' refers to the ability to reformat the text to the width of the display.

PDFs are fixed format texts - so what appears on each line can't be altered by reading software.
If the line width is too great, you either need to zoom out, or scroll across the width of the line to see it all.

Reflowable text automatically adjusts to fit the width of the display.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2008, 06:57 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
what sparrow said is right ; it means you don't have to read a pdf zoomed out to 25% so that it becomes to small to be legible, because the text is "fluid" (thus can "re-flow") and words that don't fit on one line can moved down to the next line.

you can see an exemple of reflow on the fly if you select "fluid" in the "quick style chooser" in the blue menu bar at the very bottom of this page, then make your browser window smaller or larger. you'll see the text reflowing live to adjust to the new width available to it.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:03 AM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_cbe View Post
Hello everyone,

I am about to own a PRS 505 reader. I have been following the news related to this reader and find a lot of reference to "reflow" support for PDF files. Could anyone please explain in layman's term what this means?
Resize your browser window to make it narrower and (on properly done sites) you should see the text "reflow" to fit into it.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:41 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Resize your browser window to make it narrower and (on properly done sites) you should see the text "reflow" to fit into it.
yes, i gave him that example on this site, but you must first choose the "fluid" layout. otherwise it is a fixed-width and will not work.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
vivek_cbe

thanks all. I understand the fixed/fluid width in the web world.

So for my reader to render reflow, do i need some special PDF file or any PDF file would be reflowed by the reader's new firmware.

Since it takes another week for my device to arrive in India I am trying to get as much groundword done as possible.

Also what happens if the PDF has some images in it? How does reflow affect that?
Old 07-31-2008, 12:18 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
So for my reader to render reflow, do i need some special PDF file or any PDF file would be reflowed by the reader's new firmware.

Since it takes another week for my device to arrive in India I am trying to get as much groundword done as possible.
All PDFs are reflowed, but the reflowing works better on some PDFs than others.

If you have a Windows PC, try Sony's Windows ebook Reader which emulates the PRS-505 to some extent.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:42 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
thanks all. I understand the fixed/fluid width in the web world.

Also what happens if the PDF has some images in it? How does reflow affect that?
Good questions. The implementation of this version is different from some earlier versions. Windows PDF readers have the ability to reflow all documents. I believe this capability is in the Sony product. However, having said that, there is the ability to tag a document when it is created or after the fact with certain tools. A tagged document that is tagged during creation will flow better than one that is not tagged or tagged after the fact. The intelligence that is in the source document can be used to advantage to tag a document for better flow.

Imaging is a problem in all documents. Generally the Windows and Windows Mobile version allows switching the document from reflow back to regular with pan and zoom to permit viewing unusual imaging situations in the original context. I do not believe the Sony can do this.

Imaging while reflow is on can be accomplished by compressing the image to fit if it is too big and flowing around it otherwise. Intelligent tagging can help with the positioning of the image when reflowed. I don't own a Sony so I can't comment on how well it does this. In one posted example they showed a split image over two pages. That is not a very good solution in my opinion.

Formats that have native reflow often have special image handling features such as being able to select and image and display it separately as a full size with panning. The Palm Adobe Reader has this feature but other Adobe Readers just switch out of reflow mode and then permit zooming and panning of the page.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:24 PM   #9
vivek_cbe

thank you all for the suggestions. I am trying the sony software as i type this