Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-08-2020, 08:34 PM   #1
Sango10
Sango10 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note
Onyx Boox Note Pro or 2

Hi,
I want to purchase an e-reader. I've narrowed it to those the Note Pro and the Note 2 and I'm not sure which one to pick. From what I have seen, they are pretty alike and have similar performances.
I'd use the device for my studies and also would read comics and mangas on it. I may read some novels on it but that would be like 10% max of my use. For my studies, I'd use pdfs that are more like powerpoint presentations. To be extra extra sure, those two devices would be good, right ?
Also, the thing is both of them have a browser and I don't want it! Ideally, I'd like a free distraction device but sadly, even if the browser is not that good, it is still present, plus I can still install other apps
To find a solution to that "problem", I thought about internal settings already present on the devices or apps I could download. For the settings, I was thinking maybe about a control parental thing already in place and a factory reset protection(i.e a password protecting it). For the app, I was thinking about applocker but not having the device in hand, it's hard to find solutions and it would be expensive to buy it to then try to find some solutions.What if I don't find one for example ...
Anyway,I think on android 9, you have some settings allowing you to control which apps you can use and also to protect the factory reset option but I'm not sure. Could someone please tell me if they are present on their device(while specifying the device) ? Because I think the note pro has android 6 and the note 2 android 9 thank you
I'm open to any solutions or comments that can help
ps: I'm sure someone will talk about self-control but that's not really the question, I want solutions to a specific problem and not to another thank you
Sango10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:35 PM   #2
jsiebenbaum
jsiebenbaum began at the beginning.

Device: likebook muses
Hi.. I have a note 2, and its android 9. There is a very limited set of settings, not at all like usual 9. No way to protect a factory reset, no parental controls. You could uninstall the google playstore, but there is another limited app store from Boox - but it has various apps too. You could remove the browser. I dont know if you can uninstall the boox app store (and I aint gonna try it They would both be excellent for pdf's. I have never used the note pro. Maybe someone else has more ideas...
jsiebenbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2020, 01:30 AM   #3
triumph627
triumph627 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.triumph627 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.triumph627 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boox Note Pro
Onyx Boox Note Pro or 2

I have a Note Pro, and I love it, but the Note 2 is slightly nicer under the hood. My coworker had the Note 2, and side by side they’re basically identical.

As far as distraction free goes: Yes, it has a browser. No, it is not like using a phone or computer. I like that it has it for when I do need to jump onto a website to download something. That said, I need to have something I deliberately want to do before hopping on the browser on my Note Pro. The limitations of the e-ink screen doesn’t make it a seamless experience in my opinion. When I’m taking notes or working, I’m not jumping over to other apps or browsing the web because it’s still slow and clunky.

But for taking notes and reading/annotating PDFs, I honestly don’t think there’s a better device out there. You can’t go wrong with a Note Pro or a Note 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
triumph627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:25 AM   #4
Sango10

I see, thank you both for you answers.
May I know how the writing experience is ? Do you notice any lag ?
Also, sad to hear I won't be able to remove the browser It's clunky but for Reddit,do you think it is still acceptable or the experience is definitely awkward? Because if it good, that's a pretty big deal breaker for me sadly
Thank you again
Old 03-11-2020, 07:37 PM   #5
shinynickler
shinynickler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'shinynickler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'shinynickler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'shinynickler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'shinynickler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'shinynickler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'shinynickler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'shinynickler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'shinynickler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'shinynickler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'shinynickler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Had the Note 1 which broke after accident, so bought note 2. Much prefer the note 1 despite lack of backlight. More fluent note taking in the neoreader app, could choose whether to link sidenote to page or not, and other features that Onyx keep playing with on every firmware release for some reason. Under the hood, note 2 more impressive but real life performance difference barely noticeable. The performance difference between the Pro and note 2 should be even smaller.
shinynickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2020, 10:00 AM   #6
Sango10

I see, well it's a little bit sad when an upgrade is not clearly superior to an old gen
Old 03-13-2020, 12:21 PM   #7
triumph627
triumph627 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.triumph627 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.triumph627 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boox Note Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinynickler View Post
...could choose whether to link sidenote to page or not...
This feature is still available, it’s just not enabled by default anymore after one of the recent updates. Open up the Neoreader Settings -> Global Settings and check the box next to “Associate side note with pages.”

Not to say I disagree completely with what you’re saying. I haven’t been very impressed with recent updates. Primarily the pinch to zoom feature in the note app. It can be turned off, but the stupid thing still tells you with a pop up box that the feature is disabled every time it picks up your hand resting on the screen. So then you have to turn off finger touch, but then you can’t just swipe between pages and have to push the button. So frustrating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
triumph627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:57 AM   #8
jsiebenbaum
jsiebenbaum began at the beginning.

Device: likebook muses
Quote:
Originally Posted by triumph627 View Post
This feature is still available, it’s just not enabled by default anymore after one of the recent updates. Open up the Neoreader Settings -> Global Settings and check the box next to “Associate side note with pages.”
On my new Note 2, with version 11829 of the reader app, I cannot find this setting.

John
jsiebenbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:29 PM   #9
deleted
Enthusiast
deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook simple touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinynickler View Post
Had the Note 1 which broke after accident.
How did you break the Note ? What happened to it?

I'm interested in the Note Pro for the backlight but have questions about the durability of a glass screen which Note 2 also has [as a lesser concern, it's said plastic has a better feel to write on].

Reviewers tend to prefer glass : "premium" "more durable" but for me glass is a liability and expensive to replace as a cracked screen.

What is your opinion? Comparison between the two surfaces . Is glass an upgrade or downgrade?
deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:59 PM   #10
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deleted View Post
What is your opinion? Comparison between the two surfaces . Is glass an upgrade or downgrade?
I had the Note, but gave it to my wife when I got the Pro. Much prefer the Pro which I tend to use on a daily basis. This is mainly because of the frontlight and the extra RAM/memory.

I don't have any issues with writing on glass, but perhaps that is because I do not write so much.

As for durability, that has not been an issue for me. I have it in the regular Onyx case and just shove it in my backpack for my daily commute each day by unicycle.

So, personally, I consider the glass screen an upgrade because it allows for the frontlight and I am no longer worried about scratching the screen when I do write.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 01:22 AM   #11
deleted
Enthusiast
deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Question Mark, thanks for the response.

My impression is that the Note + pro / 2 may have a reasonably thick layer of glass. Do you agree?

To your knowledge, is the eink layer bonded directly to the glass? Or does it have a plastic e-ink screen covered by glass? [It seems the former would be the more efficient to produce; but the latter maybe more reassuring in cases where the glass breaks]

I had an Onyx m96 and I babied it. Never dropped it, always used case. Still the screen - which is wafer thin - cracked twice. I do lot of travel, so it risked getting pushed against other items in my bag. I ended up wrapping a layer of bubble wrap around the case whenever I took it out with me.

Screen crack wouldn't be such a big deal ... but these are expensive devices.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:41 AM   #12
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
I had an Onyx m96 and I babied it. Never dropped it, always used case. Still the screen - which is wafer thin - cracked twice. I do lot of travel, so it risked getting pushed against other items in my bag. I ended up wrapping a layer of bubble wrap around the case whenever I took it out with me.

Screen crack wouldn't be such a big deal ... but these are expensive devices.
M96 Modules are glass.
But 10.3" eInk Modules are only flexible

Last edited by ottischwenk; 03-21-2020 at 03:27 AM.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 03:36 AM   #13
deleted
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
M96 Modules are glass.
But 10.3" eInk Modules are only flexible
Thanks for that info!
Old 03-22-2020, 05:15 PM   #14
shinynickler
shinynickler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'shinynickler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'shinynickler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'shinynickler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'shinynickler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'shinynickler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'shinynickler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'shinynickler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'shinynickler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'shinynickler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'shinynickler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
How did you break the Note ? What happened to it?

I'm interested in the Note Pro for the backlight but have questions about the durability of a glass screen which Note 2 also has [as a lesser concern, it's said plastic has a better feel to write on].

Reviewers tend to prefer glass : "premium" "more durable" but for me glass is a liability and expensive to replace as a cracked screen.

Car accident. The screen (with an overlying screen protection) is actually one of the only parts that didn't break. Glass vs. plastic, you will likely buy a screen protector so don't know how much of a difference it makes. What can make a difference for some is the backlight, which is not available on the note.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:19 PM   #15
shinynickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumph627 View Post

That option isn't available on Note 2, and I confirmed the lack of this option with Onyx. Unlike previous versions, the side note is now written by the Notes App rather than neoreader. I.e. you have neoreader on the left side and the Notes app on the right.

Tags
note, note 2, onyx boox note, pro