Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-29-2021, 10:33 AM   #31
PraiseRao
PraiseRao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PraiseRao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PraiseRao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PraiseRao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PraiseRao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PraiseRao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PraiseRao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PraiseRao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PraiseRao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PraiseRao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PraiseRao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I had an Alphasmart but it wouldn't connect to my computer it was just too old and I didn't want to rev up a VM whenever I needed to transfer anything so I didn't end up using it a lot. I want to get the Freewrite and the Freewrite Traveler, but I heard the response time from when you press a key and when it shows up is a bit of a lag. So, I didn't get it because of that.
PraiseRao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:16 AM   #32
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Has anyone tried the Traveler? I've seen a few youtube videos about it, but I'm put off by the price and lag. I love my Neo and Neo2.

Would love to hear if anyone has any experience of the new Astrohaus device.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 06:39 PM   #33
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
I've been really put off by the price of the Traveller. When their line of writers was first developed, I was totally going to get one. But honestly, I just can't justify $500+ for a typewriter.

And, sadly, my Neo has popped its clogs (some kind of electronic dementia - it thinks it's been reset and then the "memories" are wiped). So, after long and faithful service, it's done. I would buy another one but with exchange rates etc, it makes it a risky proposition if it doesn't work.

I am sad.
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:14 PM   #34
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by skb View Post
And, sadly, my Neo has popped its clogs (some kind of electronic dementia - it thinks it's been reset and then the "memories" are wiped). So, after long and faithful service, it's done. I would buy another one but with exchange rates etc, it makes it a risky proposition if it doesn't work.
Have you replaced its backup battery? It's just a CR2032 cell battery. I had one that lost its memory and that's all it was.

https://turbofuture.com/computers/Ho...lphaSmart-Neo2
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:43 PM   #35
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
I've been really put off by the price of the Traveller. When their line of writers was first developed, I was totally going to get one. But honestly, I just can't justify $500+ for a typewriter.

I am sad.

Please see the other thread, where I responded (finally!) to your question about my experiences with the original FreeWrite.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 03:01 PM   #36
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Have you replaced its backup battery? It's just a CR2032 cell battery. I had one that lost its memory and that's all it was.

https://turbofuture.com/computers/Ho...lphaSmart-Neo2
I'm pretty sure I've done that before (with different symptoms). But it's certainly worth trying again. I'll update with progress (if any).
Old 05-30-2021, 05:08 PM   #37
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I've done that before (with different symptoms). But it's certainly worth trying again. I'll update with progress (if any).
I was thinking along the same lines as rcentros: backup battery. It needs to be changed every few years. If the AA batteries fail, or are changed while the backup battery is dead, you'll lose any data on the Alphasmart.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:24 PM   #38
skb
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I was thinking along the same lines as rcentros: backup battery. It needs to be changed every few years. If the AA batteries fail, or are changed while the backup battery is dead, you'll lose any data on the Alphasmart.
Well, if it wasn't dead before, I just killed it, I think.
I just bought a set of Torx drivers (I had a T10 but not a T6). All splendid. Managed to get the old battery out and the new one in without violence. But I think I must've broken something in the process because it's "Dead Jim" now. Or it was on its last legs. I was super careful and it didn't even flicker when I used the On button. I'll examine the corpse again today in case I've managed to knock something out (although it all looks "good"). There was one cable that sits next to where the battery cover screws in that was disconnected but although I didn't notice it on the first try, I can't see anywhere on the board etc where it plugs in. I think it may've been an un-used feature or something?

What is super depressing is that pulling apart computers and putting them back together again used to be my job. How quickly the knack vanishes.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:36 AM   #39
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Well, if it wasn't dead before, I just killed it, I think.
I just bought a set of Torx drivers (I had a T10 but not a T6). All splendid. Managed to get the old battery out and the new one in without violence. But I think I must've broken something in the process because it's "Dead Jim" now. Or it was on its last legs. I was super careful and it didn't even flicker when I used the On button. I'll examine the corpse again today in case I've managed to knock something out (although it all looks "good"). There was one cable that sits next to where the battery cover screws in that was disconnected but although I didn't notice it on the first try, I can't see anywhere on the board etc where it plugs in. I think it may've been an un-used feature or something?

What is super depressing is that pulling apart computers and putting them back together again used to be my job. How quickly the knack vanishes.
Have you tried another battery? The one you put in might have been a dud.
A friend usually does things like this for me. He changed the batteries in both my Neos about 18 months ago. I didn't watch; didn't want to make him nervous that I was protecting my 'babies'.

I hope you find a solution and get your alphie up and running.
Old 06-03-2021, 03:25 PM   #40
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
There was one cable that sits next to where the battery cover screws in that was disconnected but although I didn't notice it on the first try, I can't see anywhere on the board etc where it plugs in. I think it may've been an un-used feature or something?
That's a connection for a rechargeable battery. I've taken apart both Chinese built and U.S. built Neos. The U.S. ones seem to "fit" a bit better. And the screw-heads are slightly bigger. I don't know how much you save using slightly cheaper screws, but Alphasmart seems to have wanted to save it.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 05:05 PM   #41
skb
Evangelist

Quote:
Have you tried another battery? The one you put in might have been a dud.
A friend usually does things like this for me. He changed the batteries in both my Neos about 18 months ago. I didn't watch; didn't want to make him nervous that I was protecting my 'babies'.

I hope you find a solution and get your alphie up and running.
Actually, I never tried that. I'll give it another shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
That's a connection for a rechargeable battery. I've taken apart both Chinese built and U.S. built Neos. The U.S. ones seem to "fit" a bit better. And the screw-heads are slightly bigger. I don't know how much you save using slightly cheaper screws, but Alphasmart seems to have wanted to save it.
Not sure which mine is - it has copyright (or something) information about Australia & New Zealand. I didn't even know they were used here at all.

I'll try another battery. I'm getting less frightened to "examine the entrails" with every attempt (although, still careful).

You know, when I see how "simple" a NEO is, I wonder why the Freewrite didn't just copy it and put GT stripes on it and bring it up to date. Perhaps it's the clooooud that makes it so expensive.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:21 PM   #42
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^

Actually, according to the creator of the Freewrite, the keyboard accounts for a substantial part of the cost.
Old 06-06-2021, 03:13 PM   #43
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
^

Actually, according to the creator of the Freewrite, the keyboard accounts for a substantial part of the cost.
I like the keyboard on the Neo, it has a nice sound while typing. I have a mechanical keyboard with Cherry brown switches, but I just don't get on with it - too much travel.
Old 06-07-2021, 03:11 PM   #44
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I like the keyboard on the Neo, it has a nice sound while typing. I have a mechanical keyboard with Cherry brown switches, but I just don't get on with it - too much travel.
I think the Freewrite uses those Cherry brown switches, so I suspect you might not enjoy typing on one.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:39 PM   #45
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Qwerkywriter

Here's a nice solution for those with too much money who want to use a mechanical keyboard with any USB-C or Bluetooth connecting device! I like this idea much better than the Freewrite, and for less money.

https://www.qwerkywriter.com/collections/frontpage

The black starts at "only" $290 but you can pre-order the black and gold for a measly $330. The mint looks cute.

My setup at the moment is a compact Velocifire mechanical keyboard ($70) with bluetooth connection to Android phone or Fire Tablet. I don't have a problem dealing with distractions, only with waiting for inspiration to strike then having my mediocre typing skills slow me down... I use Google Docs to sync stuff with the cloud but am learning Scrivener to organize better.
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote