Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-14-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I'm sure some of you are bored with my little "projects"

But really .... tough.

So, the cats were moving these new stainless steel bowls I bought for them whenever they ate out of them.

I thought about getting the type with the rubber grip bottoms, but they are close to $5.00 each ... and these are only $1.00, so I decided to come up with my own solution to the problem.

I made magnetic place mats (decorated with little black paw prints ... it's a little blurry), and fixed the bowls up with magnets on the bottom of each bowl (used dishwasher safe glue ... tested it, and it works fine).

Now, each bowl is held in place on the mat. And, the mats are too heavy for the cats to push around.

Problem solved, the bowls stay put. Everything can be washed, and things stay cleaner. Plus, the cats don't push the bowls under the counter, and then get frustrated because they can't easily get to the food on the back side of the bowl.

Yeah, I know .... I'm completely maaaaad!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cat mats.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	314.1 KB
ID:	23602  
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:51 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Very cool, Rm.

Where did you get the placemats? Or, how did you make them?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2009, 09:58 PM   #3
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
My question is: do you have 2, 3 or 6 cats? LOL
Very clever thinking there! : )
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:00 PM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Very cool, Rm.

Where did you get the placemats? Or, how did you make them?
The mats were car/truck signage blanks (you know the type .... they stick on the side of the car to advertise something).

I took cut out style magnets (like the type you put on photos to stick them up) and cut them into round shapes to glue on the bowl bottoms.

The magnets on the bowls and the ones on the mats were themselves too weak to hold, so I bought some disc type neodymium magnets (three per mat) and placed them where I want the bowls to go.

The neodymium magnets hold on tight to the mat, so the cats can't move them off. They also stay on the mat when I pull the bowls off to wash them.

I found the little paw print stickers at Wal-Mart, and those stay on the mats beautifully, even when I wash the mats.

It was a fun little project. I'll probably write it up on my blog.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:20 PM   #5
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
So Ricky, now when you rum the cats do you get a magnetic effect instead of static electricity? Or to the cats "snap" together when they get too close to each other?

Great job, really!
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2009, 10:24 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
So Ricky, now when you rum the cats do you get a magnetic effect instead of static electricity? Or to the cats "snap" together when they get too close to each other?

Great job, really!
Yeah, just think if they swallowed the magnets, they'd all 'snap together'..........
Old 02-14-2009, 10:39 PM   #7
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post

Great job, really!
Yes, well .... that's the reason I got screamingly strong magnets to stick at the bowl locations. I did not want any of the cats to find a way to swallow one of these things .... because I would have a very dead cat as a result.

Neodymium magnets are scary strong. These ones are about one and a half inches in diameter and mabye an eighth of an inch thick ... and they each have close to 16 pounds of pulling force.

They are a pain in the rear to separate when two of them get stuck together.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:44 PM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Next week on Ricky's corner, how to attach a cat to a chalk board.

Seriously, great job. Is there a reference for your blog?
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:05 PM   #9
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Next week on Ricky's corner, how to attach a cat to a chalk board.

Seriously, great job. Is there a reference for your blog?

Now there's a thought.

Oh, by the way, I'm almost done with another little project (that will also likely make it onto the blog when it's done), I started making metal magnet boards (on the back of a few doors in my office) with magnetic frames (so I can easily change the color or pattern on the frame if I want).

I haven't put this project on the blog yet .... to tell the truth, there's more bitching about the evil developer than there is blogging on projects (which is what this blog was supposed to be ....).

http://rickymaveety.blogspot.com/
Old 02-14-2009, 11:08 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

HA!!! WE NOW KNOW WHAT RICKY MAVEETY LOOKS LIKE!

As a Texan would say.......she's purty!
Old 02-14-2009, 11:10 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You have a blog! Got to go check it out! Cool on the Magic Magnetic Meal Mats for Cats.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:40 PM   #12
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
HA!!! WE NOW KNOW WHAT RICKY MAVEETY LOOKS LIKE!

As a Texan would say.......she's purty!
No .... you know what I "looked" like. That picture is a zillion years out of date. That is pretty much the only photo ever taken of me in which I more or less resemble a human being.

My hair now is about shoulder length. I'm still blond (naturally), and I don't have all that many wrinkles for someone my age, so I keep using that same photo ... taken when I was about forty ... or maybe a tiny bit older.

Come to think of it .... I look more like the guinea pig in my avatar now ....

And, I don't think I've ever been called "pretty" or even "reasonably attractive" in my entire life. Which is why I now live out in the middle of nowhere with cats. (snicker)

Last edited by RickyMaveety; 02-14-2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:18 PM   #13
acprinter
Groupie
acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 11th generation
I had to get very creative with our kitty. He is getting old and has his little pharmacy of drugs and needs small meals throughout the day; which means we cannot leave him for very long. So I got an automated feeder dish with two doors.

The trial run was not successful to say the least; that timer dish was moved all over the place. So I screwed it down to a large sheet of plywood, which meant he stood on the plywood and could not shove the dish around. That did not work either; he just ripped the time dish apart.

Purchased a new timer dish, screwed it to the plywood and created a secondary door over the top of the existing doors that covered the dials. This worked pretty well and it means we only purchase a new timer dish every six months.

I have made more modifications along the way, but he always finds a way to get around what I think is a very creative fix.
Here is Max he is 15 lbs. and can put a little weight into tearing up his toys, or my leg when he gets happy paws. So show us your kitty’s photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	max.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	23641  
acprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:25 PM   #14
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
aw, what a pretty cat ! they always look so sweet and innocent when they are asleep don't they ? we know better than to be fooled though...

yes ricky show us more pictures of your kitties.

that's a good idea for the magnetic bowls ; my cats' bowls are ceramic but maybe i should switch to metal ones, then i can't break them. and then i could make magnetic mats too so they don't get scooted all over the floor.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #15
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by acprinter View Post

The trial run was not successful to say the least; that timer dish was moved all over the place. So I screwed it down to a large sheet of plywood, which meant he stood on the plywood and could not shove the dish around. That did not work either; he just ripped the time dish apart.

Purchased a new timer dish, screwed it to the plywood and created a secondary door over the top of the existing doors that covered the dials. This worked pretty well and it means we only purchase a new timer dish every six months.
Sounds like he's got a bit of malamute in him.. LOL
Our Mally could not be contained any which way.
He would find an answer to our solution..hehe.
Attached Images

AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote