Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-03-2017, 08:41 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
oh, the aluminum case is very nice indeed, but, as i noted, very very slick. and since there's no case protection for the bulge, i suspect it'll get scratched and ugly on the back in short order.

/guy
You can get a case for the KO2 and it would protect the back from getting scratched. Plus a case also makes it easier to hold.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:44 PM   #47
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Device: kindle v1.0
well, for right now i can't get a case that actually works. thus the tape. of course i plan to jump on the next one that comes out, mucho pronto. i got a sleeve for transport, but it's too narrow and tall to hold it without a lot of tugging to get it out.

/guy
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2017, 08:49 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
i just added a 2-star one although i'm unsure why i rated it that high. the blue color was nice and the texture is grippy and that's the only good thing i can say about it.

i just put in for a return and ordered this sleeve until 3rd parties take up the slack. hope the sleeve fits, the oasis is a tricky size:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

/guy
A sleeve is a waste of money. The problem as I see it is the KO2 is a new device and there is a poor choice of 3rd party cases. The cases that do exist are expensive and that includes the Amazon one. If you are careful with your KO2 and do not take it out of the house, you should be able to manage without a case until you get one.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:52 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun1985 View Post
I personally found the holding problem when i am laying down on bed.. otherwise while sitting up or standing it was fine.. may be we will get used to this in sometime.. I am also searching for some decal or taping to get some grip, but that has to be professional enough to not spoil the look... Let me know if you find one..
I've found a case can make your Reader easier to hold. I have an H2O with a 6.8" screen and the case I have does make it easier to hold.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:53 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
flickr is having some probs, but here's the link:

https://flic.kr/p/215T2DH
That is just awful.
Advert
Old 11-03-2017, 08:56 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
well, for right now i can't get a case that actually works. thus the tape. of course i plan to jump on the next one that comes out, mucho pronto. i got a sleeve for transport, but it's too narrow and tall to hold it without a lot of tugging to get it out.

/guy
Without a case, DO NOT TAKE YOUR KO2 OUT OF THE HOUSE. You are risking it more by taking it out and using it without a case then you do using it without a case at home.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:57 PM   #52
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A sleeve is a waste of money. The problem as I see it is the KO2 is a new device and there is a poor choice of 3rd party cases. The cases that do exist are expensive and that includes the Amazon one. If you are careful with your KO2 and do not take it out of the house, you should be able to manage without a case until you get one.
yes, this is my thinking as well. i don't go out of the house much when winter comes along anyway, so i'll survive.

/guy
Old 11-03-2017, 08:58 PM   #53
gteague
Zealot

Quote:
That is just awful.
ain't it? ya incentive to not go out of the house, right?

/guy
Old 11-03-2017, 09:11 PM   #54
gteague
Zealot

y'know, i forgot completely about the new landscape mode. if you turned that on with the buttons down the bulge would fit into the palm of one or both hands very nicely i'll bet. i'll try that out and report back. not my cup of reading tea that way, but might come in handy until i get the case situation sorted.

/guy
Old 11-03-2017, 09:12 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
ain't it? ya incentive to not go out of the house, right?

/guy
When I got my H2O, it didn't have a case because of being new and I didn't want the Kobo case. So I waiting until I found one I liked. But until then, I still had my T1 and that was what went with me when I wanted to take a Reader. the H2O stayed home.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:16 PM   #56
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
Without a case, DO NOT TAKE YOUR KO2 OUT OF THE HOUSE. You are risking it more by taking it out and using it without a case then you do using it without a case at home.
And here I thought those other guys were just joking...
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:33 PM   #57
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I didn't get the original Oasis because I didn't trust that battery setup. This one looks pretty good. I'm happy with my Voyage but it's getting older and it's about time to start saving for a new Kindle. I may get another Voyage but I usually get the 3G versions so i can have access to Wikipedia and translations. I could get the new Oasis with Wifi only for less than the new Voyage. I'm not fond of the larger screen and it's loss of portability but, in fact, I prefer reading without the cover so if I get a Wifi Oasis and read it at home I can still use my Voyage to take with me.

I do most of my reading at home anyway.

Lots to think about while I'm saving for one. Of course i can get a Paperwhite and save even more.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:51 PM   #58
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I didn't get the original Oasis because I didn't trust that battery setup. This one looks pretty good. I'm happy with my Voyage but it's getting older and it's about time to start saving for a new Kindle. I may get another Voyage but I usually get the 3G versions so i can have access to Wikipedia and translations. I could get the new Oasis with Wifi only for less than the new Voyage. I'm not fond of the larger screen and it's loss of portability but, in fact, I prefer reading without the cover so if I get a Wifi Oasis and read it at home I can still use my Voyage to take with me.

I do most of my reading at home anyway.

Lots to think about while I'm saving for one. Of course i can get a Paperwhite and save even more.

Barry
If you don't care about the larger screen and page-turn buttons, then there is no particular reason to splurge on the new Oasis, imho (unless waterproofing is important to you?). Better to get a new Voyage, from what I've read in various reviews it still has the best screen and contrast of all Kindles.

That's just my opinion, of course. I did order the new Oasis, but then I'm a fan of buttons and I like the shape. I still use my Voyage quite often too.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:52 PM   #59
gteague
Zealot

the paperwhite is a superb value indeed! best bang for the kindle buck by far.

i mourn the original oasis. it had quirks but it was supremely portable and could fit into many not-that-large pockets. weightless--you could hold it with a couple of fingers. but, due to the insanity of amazon, unless i was willing to put in hours of hacks, it wouldn't hold my books. thus my immediate migration to the 32gb option in this recent model. kindle put out a ?japanese manga? model with more memory, but i think this is the first one for the english market.

so i'll suck it up and learn to live with it as i'm even now stressing out my cpu cores having calibre convert my textbooks and huge reference works which i now will be able to carry around offline with me.

/guy
Old 11-03-2017, 09:55 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
i 000mourn the original oasis. it had quirks but it was supremely portable and could fit into many not-that-large pockets.
To fit the KO1 in your pockets, you did have to have large pockets. The KO1 is not small by any means.

Tags
amazon, kindle, oasis 2017, release 2017, review