Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-31-2017, 12:45 PM   #16
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I never had any issues with the supplied collections on kindles. I have 4000 or so books, and I use like 50 collections. Even when I had to do them all over again when we got the cloud collections starting with the Paperwhite, it wasn't so much of a big deal to me. Sure, then it took a while, 4000 books after all. And ever single book is in at least one collection, most in more than one.

Now that we can do it on the website its much faster and easy. I wish we had that back when the cloud collections became a thing.

Of course once you caught up, its easy to add each book to collections. And the kindles themselves are also much faster now with adding them in. These things used to be an issue with larger libraries.

But then I remember using the K1, which had no collections of any kind. There, I would sort by recent and just click on all the books I wanted to read in the next few weeks so they'd be on the first pages. Those were the days
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:02 PM   #17
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
One problem I have is that on my Paperwhite, books that are in multiple collections will only show in one collection.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2017, 01:07 PM   #18
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Plante View Post
One problem I have is that on my Paperwhite, books that are in multiple collections will only show in one collection.
That is odd, I haven't had that issue yet. I sometimes have to restrain myself not to put a book into too many collections as sometimes I forget to uncheck some of them when they go into "read". Because once I am done reading, they are only in that one collection. But when you have a lot of collections, you have to page through 7 pages or so to uncheck all the other.

I started doing what I call next reading catch buckets. A initial up next collection, a more immediate up next and then the one that I am reading now and into next week. So 3 levels of next up. That way I get them unchecked from the other collections once they are in one of those 3.

I am a wee bid OCD with organizing my books and my book reading. Now if I could just take that from the virtual world and apply it to the real one.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:54 PM   #19
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I never had any issues with the supplied collections on kindles. I have 4000 or so books, and I use like 50 collections. Even when I had to do them all over again when we got the cloud collections starting with the Paperwhite, it wasn't so much of a big deal to me. Sure, then it took a while, 4000 books after all. And ever single book is in at least one collection, most in more than one.
Cloud collections only work for books stored on Amazon. That's kind of my point.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:04 AM   #20
Lordblacknail
Zealot
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Oasis Many Fires Galaxy Tab S7 Plus
I have more than 400K ebooks, I have more than 12K active books, and Kindle needs to hire people to work on the Kindle that read books. The people making these decisions to remove the ability to manage collections, are not readers. They really, really, need to fix this. Does anybody know if there are collection managers for the Kobo Aura?
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2017, 12:18 PM   #21
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblacknail View Post
I have more than 400K ebooks
OK so either you were born around the time of the Roman Empire or you can read twenty books a day for your entire life, i.e. more than a book an hour if you include a few hours a day for sleeping. (Or you're not actually *reading* all those books.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:37 PM   #22
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
Cloud collections only work for books stored on Amazon. That's kind of my point.
No longer so, we can now have user documents (and I understand audiobooks) in cloud collections.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 03:50 PM   #23
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
You can have personal documents in cloud collections. They don't work for sideloaded content though.
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:00 AM   #24
sucah
Connoisseur
sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, KT 3G, KPW, Odyssey HD, T1, 350, Glo, Mini, Aura HD, KPW2 3G
That's not easy solution, but I sideload the content, all files, of one collection each time. After that I create that collection name and choose 'Add/remove items' with sort on recent and downloaded items.
sucah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:50 PM   #25
JainaSJedi
Enthusiast
JainaSJedi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
I'm getting the new Oasis and faced with the task of trying to get my considerable amount of unread and non-Kindle content into collections on the new device. This either has to be done by adding each book individually to the collections I want, or "bulk adding" which will show each and every page of content as I move through to select the items I want.

To use cloud collections you need to upload all your non-Amazon content there, and I'm not sure how good of an idea that is. Also, every time I try to load a collection on amazon.com/myk with non-Amazon content in it, the wheel just spins and spins and won't show me a list.

Am I missing something? Is there a better way to manage collections that doesn't involve jailbreaking? I can't believe there's not a better way...
You hit the nail on the head. I have been wanting this ever since I had my first Kindle (circa 2011). I have a Voyage now in which I went through the cumbersome process of jailbreaking and installing Librarian Sync and Collection Manager. I was able to load my large ebook library from Calibre this way, but it did take time.

But I think once my Voyage dies, I am going to move on from Kindle. It's just too difficult to add books the way I want to. My first ereader was the Sony PRS 505, and I miss it like crazy. I actually do a lot of my reading on the Marvin app for ios now.
JainaSJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:25 PM   #26
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
No longer so, we can now have user documents (and I understand audiobooks) in cloud collections.
Yeah, if I upload all of them, which would take days.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:09 AM   #27
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Device: kindle v1.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
I use a Chromebook.
if it's a higher end chromebook such as the google pixel or the toshiba or hp or dell models, you can run linux in a tab inside chrome browser. i think basically any chromebook which will run android apps can do it, but if you have a 2gb chromebook with a slow processor i suspect calibre would crawl on it.

/guy
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:19 AM   #28
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
if it's a higher end chromebook such as the google pixel or the toshiba or hp or dell models, you can run linux in a tab inside chrome browser. i think basically any chromebook which will run android apps can do it, but if you have a 2gb chromebook with a slow processor i suspect calibre would crawl on it.

/guy
It's an Asus C300 that runs Android apps and has 4gb of RAM.
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:44 AM   #29
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Device: kindle v1.0
well, linux can run in as little as 2gb which is one big thing that makes it so popular. here's the link to the instructions where i started although i've since removed it as i'm 'retired' from most of the open source stuff--it's a lot of work.

good luck. if you're willing to do the research, it's an amazing thing to see running, even to someone like me who goes quite far back in computing. i've always loved emulators and apps which let me run multiple operating systems on one box.

https://www.lifewire.com/install-lin...mebook-4125253

/guy
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:27 PM   #30
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
well, linux can run in as little as 2gb which is one big thing that makes it so popular. here's the link to the instructions where i started although i've since removed it as i'm 'retired' from most of the open source stuff--it's a lot of work.

good luck. if you're willing to do the research, it's an amazing thing to see running, even to someone like me who goes quite far back in computing. i've always loved emulators and apps which let me run multiple operating systems on one box.

https://www.lifewire.com/install-lin...mebook-4125253

/guy
Thanks. I'm not that au fait with this kind of stuff but I might take a look when I'm feeling innovative.
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote