Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-27-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
mikmac1
mikmac1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Problem with Calibre on Mac OS Sierra

Hi everybody. I'm having a problem with Calibre 2.82.0 running on a MacPro 4.1 and Sierra. it was working fine until I updated Calibre a month or so ago, and I have just got round to troubleshooting it now. if I run it by double clicking on the app icon it loads the splash screen then the library and freezes with the spinning beachball. If I run it from terminal with the debug app then it loads fine and everything appears to work OK. I don't know where to start to troubleshoot this so any help is appreciated.
mikmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:41 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Look in console.app for debug output
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2017, 10:18 AM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Also, since a stock MacPro 4.1 will not run Sierra you should also look into the hacks done to allow the upgrade. You may be encountering issues with the processors or GPU that the hacks don't fix.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:27 AM   #4
mikmac1

The "Hack" is not a big deal as the 5.1 version of the Mac Pro is identical. Apple just did not want to support an ageing Mac that had gone unsupported. So does nobody have any ideas?
Old 03-30-2017, 07:50 AM   #5
mikmac1

Works fine in new account

I have created a new user and imported a limited number of books and everything works fine. Is the problem possibly a corrupt file in my book library? if so is there a way to isolate the problem file or do I have to bite the bullet and add files until I hit a problem?

EDIT: I have looked in Console and there are multiple crash reports. I don't want to needlessly post a long crash report here so does anybody know how to decipher a crash report?
Header of report below:
Date/Time: 2017-03-27 16:37:05 +0100
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.12.3 (Build 16D32)
Architecture: x86_64
Report Version: 25

Data Source: Stackshots

Command: calibre
Path: /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/calibre
Version: 2.82.0 (2.82.0)
Parent: launchd [1]
PID: 24834

Event: hang
Duration: 4.89s (process was unresponsive for 23 seconds before sampling)
Steps: 49 (100ms sampling interval)

Last edited by mikmac1; 03-30-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Advert
Old 03-30-2017, 11:09 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre does not read all files on startup, only the metadata.db file. You can try rebuilding it, but I highly doubt a corrupt metadata.db would cause a crash.

Crash reports are alwats useful.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:40 PM   #7
mikmac1

Yes they're useful if you know what you're looking for. I have deleted the metadata.db file and it still hung.

Tags
calibre2.82.0, mac, sierra