Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
BrettD
BrettD began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Kindle Repair Help

Hello,

This is my first post onto this forum. I figured this would be the best forum to post into due to the fact that many people use this forum for the discussion of ereaders on a daily basis. So here is my problem and the story:

I was reading a book last night, I had been reading from the Kindle for about 2 hours consecutively at this point. When I went to turn the page it wouldn't allow me. So I attempted to shut the Kindle off and then back on. Well no luck, not even the switch went green, so I decided to hook my Kindle up to my computer and do a hard reset, which worked. Then I went back to reading again after that. While I was reading the same thing happened and I proceeded with the same steps but this time it froze in the middle of the restart.

Since then I have contacted Amazon support and followed their instructions, such as leaving the Kindle plugged in all night and then do a hard reset in the morning. Well I followed their instructions and did so but the hard reset wouldn't go through. So I contacted Amazon again and they told me to do the same thing as I was doing already. Nothing worked. I did a hard reset after we were off the phone and then it went to my home screen but froze up on me. Then I did a hard reset again right before I left for school and the light went green and wouldn't shut off. So I assumed it might be working when I got back. Well I got home today after school and the screensaver was up but when I went to flip the switch nothing worked not even the light was working. So it has been stuck in the same position.

The light doesn't work when I have this problem and that just seems odd to me. So any suggestions on what could be the problem would be great or what I could do to get it to work again.

Thanks very much.
BrettD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Call Kindle Support again. Your device is defective. If you're under warranty they will replace it. If not they usually give you a discount for repairing it.

Make sure you call Kindle Support not Amazon Support.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Are you doing a Restore to Factory Defaults, or just a Reboot? I'd recommend the first if that's not already what you mean by "hard reset." After it works for a while, are (were) you immediately putting a bunch of books back on it? Are they still on it? It could be a bad book that's freaking the indexing process out.

Charge overnight, Restore to Factory Settings and put one book on it and see if it behaves. If it does... add more books a few at a time (and allowing time for the indexing to complete before adding more) until you have all the books you want on it, or you discover the book(s) that it doesn't like.

I've had some bad MOBIs lock my Kindle up before.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
BrettD

Could you explain how to do a restore to factory settings without being able to get to the menu? I just hold the power button for 30 seconds. I have been messing with calibre lately and have been editing metadata on my books. Could that possibly be the problem? Also how long does indexing typically last for? Thanks for the responses though, they are greatly appreciated.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm not sure if you can do a Restore to Factory without the menu. I will say that holding the power switch for a ridiculous amount of time (like 45 seconds plus) on my K2 has resulted in a prompt asking if I wanted to restore to factory defaults... but I don't know if that will work for other models/machines.

I wouldn't think editing metadata in calibre would cause that kind of drastic issue, but if the ebook was corrupt before that... who knows?

Just know if you do get it to do a factory reset, you're going to have to re-register the Kindle—but it's not like you can really use as is, huh?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
BrettD

Alright, well hopefully someone will stumble upon this post and know whether or not you can Restore to Factory without the menu. I haven't any books for a few days now. So the only thing I can think of is a physical problem with the Kindle but I'm not willing to give up just yet. I would rather repair it vs. spending 65 or 80 for a new Kindle. But as long as it starts working I will be happy, I don't really matter if it takes a few hours to set up everything. I spent a few hours two weekends ago just backing up my Kindle, editing metadata, setting up news feeds, and much more.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Frankly, sounds like you have a corrupted ebook file. Delete everything (do the factory restore), and then just re-add the book you are reading. Don't add any others until you determine if it was a bad file, or a problem with the Kindle.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
BrettD

I can't access the factory restore on the Kindle though. It won't start up and stay on long enough to be able to access that setting. Do you know if there is another way to restore it without going through the menu?
Old 02-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Based on your description, I would contact Kindle CS for a replacement.....

Amazon Kindle customer service (1-866-321-8851)
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote