Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-31-2022, 04:58 PM   #1
Georgie W
Connoisseur
Georgie W began at the beginning.

Device: KT4 5.13.6
Kindle NOT displaying recent items

My Kindle has stopped showing RECENT items properly.

I've just replaced the battery in my Kindle 8th gen. My Kindle has been on Airplane mode for the last xx years, so the firmware version hasn't updated recently (it's still on 5.9.5.1). However, since I changed the battery, I've noticed that the RECENT view mode isn't showing the books I've just looked at. Top of the list is the last book I viewed before changing the battery.

Everything else is working perfectly - I can read / sideload books perfectly & change things on the Kindle in Calibre. I did wonder whether the problem related to the Kindle's clock (I'd initially forgotten to update the time after the battery change). But even after resetting it (and hard-restarting the Kindle), my most recent books aren't showing as top of the RECENT view.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
Georgie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 05:31 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Try opening and closing the books you want near the top.

Your kindle's clock probably drifted over those 5 years. If it had drifted fast, it is possible the wouldn't even show up at all and you would have to use a computer to change the timestamp on the book files.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 08:18 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
How did you reset the date after changing the battery?
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 03:29 AM   #4
Georgie W
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
How did you reset the date after changing the battery?
I reset the time via Kindle's Settings---Device Options---Device Time.
But I can't see how to reset the date.

The Kindle's jail-broken, so I've been steering away from solutions that require me to turn on Wi-Fi and sync with Amazon, as that would also update my firmware & undo the jailbreak.
Old 08-01-2022, 03:35 AM   #5
Georgie W
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Try opening and closing the books you want near the top.

Your kindle's clock probably drifted over those 5 years. If it had drifted fast, it is possible the wouldn't even show up at all and you would have to use a computer to change the timestamp on the book files.
Thanks for your reply. I'm not quite sure what's meant by drifting? I've reset the clock and it's keeping time since then.

What's the process for changing the timestamp on the book files?

I've read some things about the date resetting to 1970-01-01, making all recently read books appear at the end of the list, but my Recent Books list stays static even if I open & close books.

My Kindle thinks the date is 2018-02-01 (via KUAL - Helper - Device ID).

Last edited by Georgie W; 08-01-2022 at 05:40 AM.
Old 08-01-2022, 07:43 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie W View Post
I reset the time via Kindle's Settings---Device Options---Device Time.
But I can't see how to reset the date.

The Kindle's jail-broken, so I've been steering away from solutions that require me to turn on Wi-Fi and sync with Amazon, as that would also update my firmware & undo the jailbreak.
Connect to WiFi or Mobile, depending on model, fixes the date. It can take a day! Otherwise it's a bit broken!

If it's jailbroken it can in theory be done over USB. Some models/FW combos allow an extended ;date command in search to set it.

Really stupid of Amazon. I expect some paranoid idea related to loans.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 08:24 AM   #7
Georgie W
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
If it's jailbroken it can in theory be done over USB. Some models/FW combos allow an extended ;date command in search to set it.
It is jailbroken - any advice on how the date can be reset via USB?

I've tried ;date and ;setdate in the Kindle's search bar, but it merely sneers at me and looks for the text in books. My Kindle is a KT3 running f/w 5.9.5.1 which may not be able to run that type of command (though I have a vague memory of installing things that way in the past - I have KUAL installed for Librarian Sync). Or maybe my syntax is faulty.

Grateful for any words of wisdom!

Last edited by Georgie W; 08-01-2022 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-01-2022, 11:47 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not me. But others may know, the USB networking (or a serial adaptor) lets you open a terminal and then you can use a regular command. It's documented somewhere on this site.

If my KK3 (or DXG) goes flat I turn on WiFi (or 3G for DXG) and periodically wake it till the date updates.

No, my KK3 and DXG ignore the extended ;date set command in Search. It does list books, but also displays the current full date and time.

You don't need to worry about WiFi updating the FW too new!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW

You can see the most recent K3 is ancient, so either you are already updated, or it won't matter.

Last edited by Quoth; 08-01-2022 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-01-2022, 12:32 PM   #9
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie W View Post
It is jailbroken - any advice on how the date can be reset via USB?

I've tried ;date and ;setdate in the Kindle's search bar, but it merely sneers at me and looks for the text in books. My Kindle is a KT3 running f/w 5.9.5.1 which may not be able to run that type of command (though I have a vague memory of installing things that way in the past - I have KUAL installed for Librarian Sync). Or maybe my syntax is faulty.

Grateful for any words of wisdom!
You might try ;setTime or ;st
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kin..._Bar_Shortcuts
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 02:32 PM   #10
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I noticed the same thing. Not displaying recent books.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 06:36 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
None of those work on a DXG or KK3, you have to either jailbreak & install USB networking (or maybe direct wire serial port) and use a terminal, or else go online for up to a day.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:37 AM   #12
Georgie W
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
None of those work on a DXG or KK3, you have to either jailbreak & install USB networking (or maybe direct wire serial port) and use a terminal, or else go online for up to a day.
Or, alternatively, try to downgrade the firmware to 5.3.7, run into more problems, SO says, "here, let me", switches on wi-fi, Kindle "upgrades" to 5.14.3, tries to download the 5000 books I have in the cloud on to my little old KT3, everything goes doolally, and I end up with a brick and forking out £80 for a new Kindle I don't want with a home page and book listing GUI I loathe... And a new improved drinking problem.

Thanks to everyone who kindly tried to help me with what SHOULD HAVE been an easy problem. I just wanted to change the internal date. Did that really have to be so hard, Amazon? Well, did it?
Old 08-02-2022, 11:24 AM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Ah Kindle TOUCH 3, not Kindle 3. Maybe if you blocked all amazon sites on the router? I don't know where the Kindles get the time & date on the Internet and I'm baffled about so many models you can't set it on. An abusive design.

With a Kobo you can even set it from Calibre to desktop's time. Also Amazon won't let you (normally) downgrade SW, but trivial on Kobo.

This is why after years of using Kindles I now only use them to test new styles when formatting a new ebook title and use a Kobo to read for entertainment, or proof & annotate.

A decent Kobo is the cost of 10 to 20 decent paper books and Gutenberg has nearly 70,000 PD titles. Then because you have a Kindle, you can go to Content & Devices and copy/paste serial number into a Calibre plugin, download all the Amazon titles you bought and read them on a Kobo.
You can even turn off the Kobo homepage with sideloadedmode=true.