Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
eBooksgp
Connoisseur
eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Discrete on what you're writing?

Hi everyone,

Do any of you guys feel reserved when writing your next book? I.e. when people ask – ‘So, what are you writing this time?’

I respond with – ‘You’ll see!’ or ‘Not saying.’

I just feel private about it until I have the final product. Does anyone else do the same? or is it just me?

Thanks

Gareth
eBooksgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
WPotocki
Connoisseur
WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Gareth -

Usually not so much. I talk about what I'm writing and give title, along with brief description, but there are exceptions.

The book I just started (unplanned project! Popped into my head and the dialogue started flowing!), I'm keeping under wraps. Why? Well, because the book is about a monster, and the title actually refers to this creature. I want the title, name, monster revealed at same time for maximum impact.

At least this is how I'm envisioning it! Nobody really is going to care but me, but then that's why I'm writing the story!

Don't think either way is wrong. It's a personal style thing.
WPotocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nah. I usually tell them, "I'm writing science fiction," and they quickly avert their eyes and slink away...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
Paul Dale
Paul Dale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Dale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Dale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Dale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Dale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Dale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Dale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Dale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Dale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Dale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Dale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Telling them, "Fantasy", has a similar effect.

"The sequel to my last novel," is an easy out, especially for sci-fi and fantasy when one novel is never enough to tell a story
Paul Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You might want to use the question to your advantage, and consider the "elevator pitch" description: Work up a quick pitch of your book, a 30-second sentence or less, and be ready to parrot that whenever someone asks.

"It's a story about a farmer's son who finds himself in a pivotal position in the rebellion against the galactic empire... a real good-versus-evil story, almost on a mythical level."

It can have the advantage of building interest in your story, which could translate to promotional or production help, or increased sales.
Advert
Old 03-31-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
EileenG
Zealot
EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: My phone
No, I tell them. If I'm going to commit myself to three months of writing, I need to be very enthusiastic about it, so I can bore for about it.

For the record, I'm writing a novel where a soldier comes back from the Peninsular war and discovers his best friend has been murdered. He suspects a Napoleonic spy, but finds his friend has been keeping secrets from him, including a wife and daughter.
EileenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
Rick G
Renaissance Geek
Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: iPad & kindle
Unless I'm working on a project for someone else, I'm more than happy to tell someone what I'm currently writing. Enthusiasiam from readers is great and while I'm not about to give out major plot points, I see no problem with starting any potential word of mouth as early as possible. I think it's also a good way to start gauging interest. If I mention I'm working on my magnum opus about vampire dinosaurs, you can bet I'm going to be checking whether I'm getting "awesome!" or people are looking at me funny and then doing their best to walk away quickly.
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #8
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I dont. My stories shift to much in the write/rewrite phase for it to have much sense to talk about. I just keep it real general, and since I am in a series now I can/do use the cop out "I am working on the four book in my scifi series" which lets me talk about book one instead and plug the series.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #9
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
While I was writing my first book it was almost the cone-of-silence treatment. My wife knew I was writing a book, but almost no one else. That book had been finished for almost 18 months before I told most of the rest of my family (I imagine it might have been harder to keep the cone-of-silence if we had kids).

Why? Partly because I had no idea whether I would have what it took to finish it, but mostly because I find myself almost schizophrenic while I'm writing. Some days I think it's going great, on others I think it's horrible. It wasn't until that book was almost finished - I do lots of rewriting as I go - that I was able to read back over it and feel that it was something I wasn't going to be ashamed to have others read.

I am less secretive about the fact of writing now, but I still say little about the content or story line because much of the outline I am trying to work to is based on information that should only be revealed through the story - and exactly how it will be revealed is often a mystery, even to me, until it is written. I guess things could be different once I have more experience, perhaps I will gain some confidence one day, but until then I am happy to talk about the process enough to bore anyone, but I still stay pretty quiet about the story.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:58 AM   #10
eBooksgp
Connoisseur
eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Thanks all for your input, lots of interesting comments - from what I've gathered there isnt any real reson for me to be secretive about what I'm writing and talking about it will help to trigger more ideas :-)

thanks guys!!! I'll try not to be so protective in the future.
eBooksgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
EileenG
Zealot
EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I also find that telling people that I'm writing is a little extra incentive to sit down and write the damn thing. If I've been talking about it, people want to see it, or at least hear that I'm submitting it somewhere.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

When most people ask, "What are you writing?" I don't think they're looking for details; just a general idea. Occasionally someone will show more interest, and you can tell them what will make this story special... in a general sort of way. But if your story isn't already locked down, don't try to be specific... and even if it isn't locked down, don't give away the ending (except to a potential publisher). Give 'em a reason to actually read it when you're done!
Old 04-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #13
Greenkeeper
Connoisseur
Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Considering how rarely any given project I start actually gets past the early idea stages I've learned it's best not to talk about my next project until at least a first draft is complete. It keeps me from having to write more "X has been delayed" posts in my blog.
Greenkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #14
EileenG
Zealot

I know I'm going to be reamed for being picky here, but "discrete" means separate or detached.

"Discreet" means not gabby.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #15
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
OK! I am gonna come clean here... my next book is a about a bunch of characters that go places and do things! There, I have told the world now!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote