Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 09-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #16
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronChaim View Post
Brilliance Audio is owned by Amazon (since 2007) - so I wonder if that's playing into why their content is not available.
I thought about that and it's possible, but it hasn't kept their content out of other retailers so far. Audible Studios on the other hand is Audible only.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:13 PM   #17
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, here we go.

Kobo for Android stores it's files in Android > Data > com.kobobooks.android >files > audiobooks

The files for the book are in a folder with some random looking numbers and letters that probably mean something to Kobo, and I'd assume if there are multiple books each will be in a separate folder.

Inside the folder I have files 0 - 13 with no extension. When I copied those files to my PC and added an MP3 extension they play just fine (I used VLC media player).
Advert
Old 09-06-2017, 12:52 PM   #18
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I don't have a .com.kobo folder anywhere. (ZTE Maven 2)
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:55 PM   #19
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

I had to restart for it to show up after installing the Kobo app and downloading my book (same thing happens for me with Audiobooks.com). Used the device hooked up via USB with an MTP connection to transfer files after restarting. On some devices it might be in the emulated storage instead of regular storage. For whatever reason even though I moved the app to SD it's still putting books in main storage (which this device does a lot).

Otherwise, I'm not sure.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 09-06-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:58 PM   #20
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Thanks for the info, AnemicOak. I'm rethinking that 50-hour book, though, if I have to rename files, and especially if the app is temperamental about downloading to the SD card. I think I'll poke around for something else of more manageable length.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2017, 03:40 PM   #21
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Restarting the phone did the trick. I now have it on my PC, and it plays with Windows Media Player.

Adding .mp3 file extension still plays with WMP, so I am sure it would work on the mp3 player.

Last edited by booklover6; 09-06-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:51 PM   #22
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Restarting the phone did the trick. I now have it on my PC, and it plays with Windows Media Player.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:20 PM   #23
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Now, will Audible lower the price of a credit, to stay competitive?
Old 09-06-2017, 05:34 PM   #24
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Sleep timer? What are the gradations on the speed? And, thanks!
Playback speed options are 0.6x, 0.8x, 1.0x, 1.2x, 1.4x, 1.6x, 1.8x, 2.0x, 2.2x, 2.4x, 2.6x, 2.8x & 3.0x

Sleep timer options are 15 min., 30 min., 45 min., 60 min., and Sleep at end of chapter.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:40 PM   #25
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Maybe, but not sure they have to quite yet. They still have a much larger selection than any other provider I've tried. For myself it seems like more and more titles/authors i want, some who've been with other companies for years, are getting picked up by Audible Studios. I do wish they'd drop DRM (yes, I know how to remove it).

I found with some books Kobo has them "linked" in that if looking at the eBook it mentions that an audiobook is available, but other books aren't. Their search is still a crap shoot too, sometimes it works other times not.

I ended up getting "Rocket Men" by Craig Nelson and first searched by title and it wasn't found, then searched by author and it wasn't found. I didn't find it until I was looking at another book on the same topic and it was listed as a similar title.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:08 PM   #26
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Or at least roll back the prices on Whispersync titles from $7.49 to what they used to be; offer more and better sales; reinstate the buy-4-get-$10 promo; and provide other member perks.

P.S. Has anyone mentioned Kobo's audiobook deals section?

Last edited by Catlady; 09-06-2017 at 07:11 PM. Reason: P.S.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:04 AM   #27
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Or at least roll back the prices on Whispersync titles from $7.49 to what they used to be; offer more and better sales; reinstate the buy-4-get-$10 promo; and provide other member perks.
I agree with all of this, especially rolling back Whispersync prices. I used to buy tons of Whispersync audiobooks and now I buy none at all. I especially think that $7.49 for a book in the public domain is too high. The narrator's been paid, so it's pure profit.

Perhaps I'll be reeducated eventually so $7.49 seems reasonable, but in the meantime I either get audiobooks of the classics from OverDrive or read the free ebook.

ETA: I could be reeducated to $4.99 quite easily, but $5 is about my threshold for multiple relatively mindless purchases.

Last edited by issybird; 09-07-2017 at 07:07 AM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:58 AM   #28
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet, Kindle KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Okay, here we go.

Kobo for Android stores it's files in Android > Data > com.kobobooks.android >files > audiobooks

The files for the book are in a folder with some random looking numbers and letters that probably mean something to Kobo, and I'd assume if there are multiple books each will be in a separate folder.

Inside the folder I have files 0 - 13 with no extension. When I copied those files to my PC and added an MP3 extension they play just fine (I used VLC media player).
Most excellent! A free audiobook of my choice is always welcome. Your instructions on getting / renaming the books worked perfectly. The book I got wasn't broken down into chapter, but rather a size similar to CD disks (which is what Overdrive does, so that is okay).

One other note; the files seem to all be 64 bps. That's an average quality for the non-Audible sources available to us.

You know, now that I think about it Overdrive books are also 64 bps. I wonder if Kobo is using some form of Overdrive for books?

Last edited by skinmaan; 09-07-2017 at 08:29 AM.
skinmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:03 AM   #29
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinmaan View Post
You know, now that I think about it Overdrive books are also 64 bps. I wonder if Kobo is using some form of Overdrive for books?
I just read that they are supplied by Overdrive.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:04 AM   #30
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I agree with all of this, especially rolling back Whispersync prices. I used to buy tons of Whispersync audiobooks and now I buy none at all.
Same here, except for the few that are still reasonably priced under $4. I do have quite a catalog of books I have yet to listen to. And the KU with audio included catalog has increased quite a lot.