Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-28-2015, 08:00 PM   #1
yatgirl
yatgirl began at the beginning.

Device: win7
Question Virtual Library Tabs - remove red x

I use Calibre all the time. I have the virtual library tabs set up to show genres. It works ok, but each virtual library tab has a large red x on it to make it easier to close it. Trouble is, other family members keep accidentally closing the tabs.
Is there anyway to remove the red x and the ability to close the tab with the x. I would prefer to set the virtual tabs up with no x as they take up so much room on the tab and also just a right click to close them would work just as well.
yatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:08 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by yatgirl View Post
I use Calibre all the time. I have the virtual library tabs set up to show genres. It works ok, but each virtual library tab has a large red x on it to make it easier to close it. Trouble is, other family members keep accidentally closing the tabs.
Is there anyway to remove the red x and the ability to close the tab with the x. I would prefer to set the virtual tabs up with no x as they take up so much room on the tab and also just a right click to close them would work just as well.
@yatgirl - I can't think of an easy way - apart from not showing them at all.

I guess what you want is a "Lock tabs" option that would remove the red cross on all the tabs. Should it also prevent moving them ?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2015, 10:23 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
But it is so easy to put them back (unless you have a LOT).
Click the Virtual Library Button, the Latest used are at the bottom of the pick list
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:29 PM   #4
yatgirl

yes better red - even if they arent locked, it would be great to even be able to make the x's smaller - to take up less space, or the xs not be there at all. All those large bright red xs taking up space is just detracting from the program for me and causing issues.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:22 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatgirl View Post
yes better red - even if they arent locked, it would be great to even be able to make the x's smaller - to take up less space, or the xs not be there at all. All those large bright red xs taking up space is just detracting from the program for me and causing issues.
@yatgirl - you can replace the icon to make it less intrusive, the replacement must be at "<xxxx>\resources\images\window-close.png" where '<xxxx>' is the location of the calibre configuration data - see Preferences->Miscellaneous and click Open configuration directory

I replaced the red cross with this Name:  window-close.png
Views: 242
Size:  1.2 KB

Warning the window-close.png image is used in places other than the VL tabs

If you want to make a formal suggestion for a "Lock Tabs" capability then you would do that here ==>> Bugs : calibre. FWIW I think its quite a good idea, especially if it also prevented reordering them

BR
Advert
Old 09-29-2015, 07:38 AM   #6
yatgirl

Thanks BetterRed, I replaced with your image and thats better without the bright red at least. I will look at making a formal suggestion this evening. Thanks so much for your help !

I think as well I will ask for consideration on something more specific and permanent for genres. This virtual library tab is a work around at best and it seems now I am trying to work around the work around lol. I think most people would browse their library by genre looking for a new book, not by authors, or series or formats. I guess with a smaller library it might be ok, but I have over 3000 books and different family members looking for different subjects all the time.

Last edited by yatgirl; 09-29-2015 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:40 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@yatgirl - perhaps your genre's are too fine grained. But hopefully others can toss in some ideas, I use calibre in an atypical way.

BR