Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-23-2008, 03:47 PM   #16
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Well, it doesn't seem to work with azw files with DRM. (I have it working quite nicely for "normal" files.) I then tried it with DRM removed and it still didn't work!! My guess is that the AZW flag is the problem, but its just a guess.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:00 PM   #17
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
Well, it doesn't seem to work with azw files with DRM. (I have it working quite nicely for "normal" files.) I then tried it with DRM removed and it still didn't work!! My guess is that the AZW flag is the problem, but its just a guess.
I thought you said it only worked with .mobi files? Perhaps you need to change the file extension?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2008, 04:09 PM   #18
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did that. Actually, the .cmd file created new files with the .mobi extension and I deleted the azw ones.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:05 PM   #19
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Well, two folders were created beautifully but three folders refuse to appear. I've done the EXACT same thing to ALL files, and only two folders are cooperating. I cannot figure it out. The books themselves ceased to appear also (so something IS being changed, but no idea why it refuses to show the other folders).
Are the folder names nice and simple? You might avoid spaces and odd characters .... and really long folder names. At least till you figure out what does and doesn't work.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:41 PM   #20
slm
Fool

Actually, all the folders are named similarly--Author Last Name, Author First Name.
The one that I had DRM'd docs for was Stephenie Meyer (i.e., "Meyer, Stephenie"). When I removed the DRM'd ones the folder formed correctly.
Advert
Old 10-24-2008, 10:18 PM   #21
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
I changed all files back to "book" (2) and they still wouldn't appear in the Kindle.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:25 PM   #22
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
I changed all files back to "book" (2) and they still wouldn't appear in the Kindle.
I suggest you remove them from your Kindle, including all the associated .mbp files. Then re-download the originals.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:45 AM   #23
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I suggest you remove them from your Kindle, including all the associated .mbp files. Then re-download the originals.
That's what I'm doing. About 83 files left to replace out of almost 600. Some can't be replaced anymore (but just a handful and I can still read them on Mobipocket Reader).
Old 10-25-2008, 09:29 AM   #24
slm
Fool

For the ones that can't be replaced, you might want to try rebuilding them--split the file using mobi2oeb then either just rebuild from the resulting opf file or--much safer--create a new opf project in mobi creator and put the html file and images into the project directly and make a wholly new build.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:06 AM   #25
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Too bad that mobigen doesn't handle this, otherwise I would add support for this on all RSS/newspapers from Feedbooks.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:16 AM   #26
GatorDeb
Evangelist

I just found out about PRC exploding options a few hours ago... will try it when I get home in one hour...got me excited as the files themselves can be read on the PC . Wish I knew about mobi2html before I spent all that time putting stuff back
Old 10-25-2008, 01:04 PM   #27
slm
Fool

By the way, the folder stuff seems to work fine for me if all the files in the folder have a ".prc" extension.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:24 PM   #28
GatorDeb
Evangelist

I'm probably not giving up on it. I'm just going to do it a folder at a time and BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP. What really ticks me off is having to reindex 600 files at a time. Argh.

So now I've successfully used Calibre's html2oeb to create a directory with an opf file so now I can use the for %a (in *.mobi) do conversion.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to use a command line command to turn opf back into prc so that I can do all folders at once If you know how let me know!! Thanks!
Old 10-25-2008, 01:38 PM   #29
slm
Fool

If you are on a Windows machine, download mobigen (the Mobipocket tool that actually does the conversion). Given an .opf file, mobigen produces a .prc file
so I'm guessing that
for %a (in *.opf) do mobigen %a
will work. But I'm completely incompetant in DOS, so don't trust me.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:40 PM   #30
GatorDeb
Evangelist

Ok people need your help.

I tried using opf2mobi from the Mobiperl package. I exploded PRC files using Calibre's mobi2oeb. So I have a bunch of folders named differently and each folder has files with the same name as the folder (as far as the opf and html files).

Soooo I need 2 things.

How do I write a batch file that takes the opf in each folder and turns it into a prc? Assume I have a directory c:\books with all the folders inside.

I ran opf2mobi filename.opf and it gave me an error message aaaaaaall the way at the end of Can't Write a Database with no name.

Thanks!