Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-08-2018, 10:37 PM   #1
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter
ChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question totally messed up my library

Is there a way to just start from scratch? I seemed to have really messed up my Calibre database.

I tried importing my last correct library, and follow theh prompts by creating an empty folder for the new library. But I wind up with is a blank library in Calibre.

ChipAHoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:53 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Just restore a backup of your Calibre library.

You DO have a backup, don't you?

Otherwise it should be possible to create a new library with a new name and let Calibre import the files from the folder with the old library. If you get the latest metadata is not certain.

Start by making a copy of the old calibre library, in case something goes wrong. Look inside it to verify that it is full of folders with abbreviated author names with ebook-files inside them.

Check in settings that metadata is read from file contents.

Run "Add books from directories, including subdirectories (One book per directory..." on the new backup copy of the old calibre library.

If all goes well you will have everything back. Then delete the old library and the copy. (But NOT the new library!!!)

Finally, and very important: Make a backup of your calibre library folder. Place the backup on a USB-stick or external HD or to the cloud. And update that backup every time you make changes!

If you value your work on the metadata for the books, and the books themselves, you will most likely have more than one backup...

Last edited by Adoby; 02-09-2018 at 04:58 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2018, 02:52 PM   #3
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter
ChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I am either getting that location for new library isn't empty (even though it is empty), or I am seeing the new library with duplicates everywhere, and titles showing author names and titles reversed.
ChipAHoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:34 PM   #4
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
I'm sorry, but I am stumped...

Perhaps time for a full reset? Brute Force!

I suggest that you make a backup of all your books.

Then uninstall calibre and delete all calibre library folders.

After that reinstall latest calibre fresh. Now you are sure everything is OK!

Start to carefully add ONE of the books from the backup copy to the new fresh calibre library.

Experiment with settings and patterns for the import until everything works correctly. Then add the rest.

... or wait for other suggestions ...
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote