Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-09-2018, 01:20 PM   #46
SamP
SamP began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Most or at least many updates trigger reindexing of all of the content on the device. That will cause faster battery drain until it is done. It can take hours if you have a lot of stuff on there.

If it persists it may be because of a corrupt file. To check indexing status, go to Home screen and search for ‘.’ (I.e. a single period). On the ensuing search results page, tap Text in Books, and it may show Items Not Yet Indexed. Tap on that and it will show names of things it is indexing. Deleting these and redownloading should fix things.
Thanks for that.
It came up with a single book (A Graham Greene novel) un-indexed out of around 1,400.
I've deleted it & will see how things go from here.

Again, thanks very much for your help with this.
SamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:02 PM   #47
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamP View Post
Since applying this FW update, my well-used 6th Gen PW seems to be draining the battery at an alarming rate.
I'm now recharging it on a daily basis.

Is my experience just a one-off?

Airplane mode on. Screen brightness @ ~ 20%. (No change from prior settings)
I had the same experience on my Voyage. Manually applied the new update on Wednesday night. Voyage wasn't used until I turned it on this morning (Friday) and battery level showed near empty. My Voyage is permanently in airplane mode.

I did add three or four books to the Voyage just after I updated the firmware. I don't think that indexing the four books would have caused such a quick drain, but maybe it was stuck for awhile on one of the books. I did check to see if it was still indexing when I noticed the battery level and it wasn't.

I'm charging it now and am hoping this is an anomaly. I'll report back when I know more.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2018, 02:07 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How do you find out what book is not indexing?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:11 PM   #49
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
No battery drainage on my Voyage. Time is currently turned on, can't decide if I like it or not. Hmm.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:31 PM   #50
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't think you can. As far as I know you can just determine if your Kindle is still indexing or not. That's why it's a good idea to only load a few books at a time, so you can at least narrow the problem book down to one of the few you're currently uploading.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2018, 04:16 PM   #51
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I manually updated to this from the Amazon website. I do not see any change in notes. I like the clock option. I do not see that it is necessary for all you need to to do is tap in the top center to see the clock, light settings... etc
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:30 PM   #52
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
With a Kindle you do a "none-such" search. Search for a made-up word you know can't exist (something like 'oe4!#d8'). If there's a book still indexing, the Kindle will inform you that "'such-and-such' book is not yet indexed." I just had to do that with my Kindle 4. I put my Catholic Encyclopedia on it so I could move it to Calibre – and then next day saw that my battery was nearly dead. Sure enough, it's still indexing that book. (Just checked, still indexing, so I'll probably just leave it on the charger for a while longer – or maybe I'll just remove it.)
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:24 AM   #53
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
You check if anything is still indexing through search. Then in the "in books" or what it is called exactly it will say how many are not yet indexed. The number itself is a link, click on it and it will open the list of all unindexed books.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:34 AM   #54
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Has anyone else noticed that if you choose to display the time on the KO2, that it affects the page turn buttons? Pressing the button to turn the page doesn't register so you press again and it skips a page. Doesn't happen every time, but annoyingly often. When you turn off the time display it reverts to its usual consistency.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:53 AM   #55
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
Has anyone else noticed that if you choose to display the time on the KO2, that it affects the page turn buttons? Pressing the button to turn the page doesn't register so you press again and it skips a page. Doesn't happen every time, but annoyingly often. When you turn off the time display it reverts to its usual consistency.

Jim
I have not seen that issue at all
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:34 AM   #56
violent23
Connoisseur
violent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Oasis 2017, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post

Jim
The button bug has been around since launch and I was hoping that this update fixed it, Guess not. Pretty disgusting that amazon hasn't fixed this yet. One of the biggest selling points of the device is its buttons, and they haven't worked correctly since I bought this damn thing.

Oh, and I still can't get a case either. What is Amazon doing?
violent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:42 AM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why can't you get a case? When I look on Amazon I see at least six different Oasis 2 cases.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:45 AM   #58
violent23
Connoisseur
violent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Oasis 2017, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why can't you get a case? When I look on Amazon I see at least six different Oasis 2 cases.
You know exactly what I mean. Please don't be facetious.
violent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:53 AM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by violent23 View Post
You know exactly what I mean. Please don't be facetious.
I don't have the faintest idea what you mean. There's a huge variety of different Oasis cases available. Why are you unable to get one?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:53 AM   #60
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Voyage, iPad Pro 11
Do we know if this update triggers a re-index of your library?
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote