Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-27-2018, 08:34 AM   #1
bobby74
bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: none
First ebook reader

Dears
I read a lot of post but still not sure to which ereader should i choose...
I live in italy an i usually read books in english and italian. I don't like small tech (i mean i would like to have at list one 7' reader, not 6'). Don't have problems with format (I have Calibre), but i would like also to read enough well the .pdf
most of all i read usually 10 or more books per month but paper book! So for me it's a hard choice and i have to understand if the ereader can work with me (or i can work with it :-))... so I don't want to spend lot money because maby i will never use it...
cant you help me?
thanks a lot
bobby74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:41 AM   #2
bobby74
bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.bobby74 for a long time would go to bed early.

ps:I use to read science book but sometimes also novels, comics, anime and Art
Advert
Old 01-27-2018, 02:15 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
7" readers are significantly more expensive than 6" ones. Given that this will be your first eInk device and, as you say, you're not sure whether or not you'll like it, might it not perhaps be better to try a cheap 6" reader first?

Even a 7" screen really isn't big enough for PDFs; a 9.7" (or larger) screen is a lot better for those.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:45 PM   #4
bobby74

ok Harry, thank you so much. Yes maybe i can try with a 6' reader... but which one do you think i could try to understand the feeling with an ereader without spending so much but having anyway good performances? thanks again
Old 01-27-2018, 07:12 PM   #5
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby74 View Post
For all but the novels, I'd think you might like a tablet better.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2018, 08:46 PM   #6
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
My guess is that in Italy your choice is Kindle or Kobo. I would read the list of features on the various models of both, study their libraries online and see which appeals to you most. They're both excellent devices and there's not really a wrong choice.

I second what HarryT said about PDF's. You can read them on a 6" or 7" reader but you won't like it. You really need a larger tablet for that.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:06 PM   #7
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
If, as you say, you read science mainly, then be aware that without a color display color illustrations, tables, graphs, etc will only be displayed as greyscale - often they will be unreadable (for example, graphs with multiple lines, bars, pie segments, etc. displayed differentiated by color). Other illustrated non-fiction will also suffer without color.

Also, for pdfs, I agree with the comments by others that a larger display is preferable - I use a 10 inch display for everything now; I read a mix of non-fiction (including a lot of science) and fiction.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:34 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Also, for pdfs, I agree with the comments by others that a larger display is preferable - I use a 10 inch display for everything now; I read a mix of non-fiction (including a lot of science) and fiction.
I read fiction on my eInk reader, but non-fiction (mainly academic PDFs) on my 10.5" iPad Pro. That, for me, is a combination that works well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:03 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I read fiction on my eInk reader, but non-fiction (mainly academic PDFs) on my 10.5" iPad Pro. That, for me, is a combination that works well.
If I read PDFs (which I hardly ever do) they would be on the computer or tablet. I think it would be torture to try to read them on my eReader.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:38 AM   #10
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
My guess is that in Italy your choice is Kindle or Kobo.
Pocketbook, too.

To Bobby: I echo what other posters have said. Reading plain text books, like novels, is a joy and pleasure on e-ink devices. But for PDFs or anything with more than simple graphics in it, like anime, art books, or scientific works with diagrams and tables, a larger tablet is much more suitable (the 9.7" iPad is a good pick here, the bigger ones work also fine). But reading novels on a tablet is (at least for me) a poor experience and it gives me eyestrain. I try every so often for a few weeks, but it never works out well and I go back to e-ink devices.

My solution is to have both an iPad for PDFs and art books (even then I typically buy art books as paper books because the print quality, image reproduction and format are almost always far better) and an e-ink device for plain text books, both fiction and non-fiction. I would like to only use one device (I prefer simplicity), but at least with current technology it doesn't seem to be the best course of action. (I have yet to try an AMOLED tablet, though. It may actually work for me, but I'm not keen on spending €600 on an experiment while I have no other uses for an Android tablet. Perhaps when I replace my iPad I will give it a try.)

If I were to buy a 6" e-ink reader today, I would get the Pocketbook Touch HD 2 for around €150. If I wanted a 7" reader, it would be the Kobo H20. For an 8" ink reader, I'd consider the Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook InkPad (but I believe this one is out of stock) or Icarus Illumina XL HD (this one might work OK with many PDFs as it's an Android device, so a little faster, but still uses e-ink). I've been looking around a little this weekend because I wondered about replacing my Kobo Glo, but since it works very well for me, I think I'll keep it until it breaks or some truly impressive new reader surfaces on my radar or "gadget lust" overcomes me.

Last edited by Mivo; 01-28-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:05 AM   #11
bobby74

Thanks all of you for the enlighten posts... I think the solution to have all in one like a mix between ipad and ereder is not yet available at the moment... So maybe I really could try a 6' reader like kobo or pocketbook (don't know why but I would prefere to don't buy a amazon stuff) for novels and similar, and use my ipad for pdf (even if, I have to tell you, my eyes they don't like so much a backlit screen). Waiting for something better for me next!
I will follow you in mobileread!
Old 01-28-2018, 10:38 AM   #12
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Sorry off topic ....What is your secret to reading 10 books a month? I struggle with getting 1 or 2 a month. The fastest I was able to read is I got Nora Roberts Year One read in 1 week but it normally takes me about 3 weeks to read a book under 400 pages
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:10 AM   #13
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
... but it normally takes me about 3 weeks to read a book under 400 pages
How many hours of reading are you getting in per day on average?

I picked up drawing a while ago and progress has been slow, but somewhat steady and certainly noticeable. Sometimes, I see art from other novices who seem to progress much faster than me. But just when I'm starting to go down that "wish I had started when I was younger" hole, I try to recall that often I draw fewer hours per month than they draw in a day, and then my progress seems quite all right.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:43 PM   #14
bobby74

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
....What is your secret to reading 10 books a month? I struggle with getting 1 or 2 a month. ... it normally takes me about 3 weeks to read a book under 400 pages
It's not so easy to answer... Think that most of all are science book (like physics for example) which are not so long and usually I don't mind to read everything (could be enough read 70-80% to get it for me); in other situations i read like 6 or 7 books at the same time which means it's not so easy to understand when i began one and finish the other... ahahaha, i know seems funny and actually it is
furthermore if i understand that i'm wasting time with a book i quit and change.
For the art book it's easyer because there is more to watch than to read; and eventually philosophy books are the ones that I can read 10 or 20 times and descover different secrets, but it's like to drink very good wine (i'm thinking for example the simone weil books) and so you can't read one book breathless...

ps: I'm a teacher so i need to read a lot also for my students !
Old 01-28-2018, 04:47 PM   #15
Sonicboom
Enthusiast
Sonicboom began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 2
Quote:
. So maybe I really could try a 6' reader like kobo or pocketbook (don't know why but I would prefere to don't buy a amazon stuff) !
Hi Bobby! I am having my first ebook reader for one moth. It is 7' and my reaction when I see 6' is like "Hey, how can you read on this?" When you change screen settings to landscapem then is 7" quite good for PDF.. I hope you understand my English..
Sonicboom is offline   Reply With Quote