Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-01-2017, 04:09 PM   #76
Trane
Groupie
Trane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: android tablet
OK, looked in the .ini yet again and temp was set for J. So made sure the directory existed (since I deleted it last night!) exactly as named in the ini which was simply J:/Sigil Temp ... and it still would not work. Got the same error. So reinstalled (without wiping the native temp folder in order to save preferences) and it opened up fine. Went to preferences and clicked Auto to put the temp directory back to the native location. Restarted Sigil.

And now we'll continue to see if the crashing has disappeared or not... will report back either way, but will be back sooner if it crashes.

Thanks again for everyone's help and time.
Trane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:29 PM   #77
Trane
Groupie
Trane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

FYI

Was waylaid for the last 5 days on other matters so could not work on the book until today. Sigil crashed 3 or 4 times, in the same manner as previously described. This is with Sigil's temp in the native location.

Can't fool with it anymore for now (have to get this book done) so am just using CTR S constantly, especially before placing pictures. But later when I have time I will resurrect this thread or if I happen to figure out what's causing it along the way inadvertently, I will report that. Since the Sigil team says Sigil is stable I can only guess it's a software conflict on my machine, which would nevertheless be handy to know. So again... if I happen to suss out the problem, I'll be back.... but in a total non-Arnold-Schwartenegger way.
Advert
Old 03-07-2017, 02:32 PM   #78
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
I am truly sorry to hear that. Yes, it must be a conflict of some sort and something related to images (or image icons) or File Dialogs. My guess is something else using Qt in some strange way or launching of Sigil from within another Qt app (calibre?).

Either way, we really would like to track it down and fix something if needed. Did you by chance immediately after the hang, verify that nothing had changed the permissions on any of the temp locations so we can rule that out completely.

I think there is a way to use the registry to enable more debug information from Windows in the case of a crash. That may be the only way to get an idea of what is going on.

Thanks,

KevinH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:59 AM   #79
Trane
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I am truly sorry to hear that. Yes, it must be a conflict of some sort and something related to images (or image icons) or File Dialogs. My guess is something else using Qt in some strange way or launching of Sigil from within another Qt app (calibre?).
I have Calibre installed but never use it. I launch Sigil from a desktop shortcut, always and only. (What is Qt again?)

Quote:
Either way, we really would like to track it down and fix something if needed. Did you by chance immediately after the hang, verify that nothing had changed the permissions on any of the temp locations so we can rule that out completely.
I did check users/[user]/appdata/local/sigil-ebook/ and it's all good. Don't know of the other temp locations, but if you let me know I'll check them. However I will be busy tomorrow and out of town on Thu so might not have a chance to get back to this until Fri.

Quote:
I think there is a way to use the registry to enable more debug information from Windows in the case of a crash. That may be the only way to get an idea of what is going on.
Unfortunately a friend has a serious illness so I keep getting waylaid (then when I can finally work I have to make up for lost time, so it's hard to troubleshoot right now)... but I should have more time after Friday.

Quote:
Thanks,

KevinH
No, thank you!
Old 03-08-2017, 05:50 AM   #80
vijer
vijer began at the beginning.

Device: phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I can assure you that no other reports of Sigil consistently not responding (with regard images or any other repeatable scenario) are currently pending. You're of course free to use any program you like. If, on the other hand, you'd like to figure out what is special about your setup/process, we'll be happy to help track down the problem. Your call.
Well I came here to report just such a problem. I am a little puzzled that there isn't an error reporting function for Sigil, the forum seems like the wrong place. I'm not looking for help, but it seems sending error information to the devs would be useful.

Anyway, I have been editing several epubs and frequently Sigil freezes and then reports that it has to close. Sometimes I am using the image that is already in the epub, sometimes I am adding a jpg from my eBooks folder. I don't see any pattern, but it definitely happens frequently.

I see a debug.log file has been generated (I assume by Sigil) but there isn't a way to send this to the developers, other than the forum.

[0308/091519.287:ERROR:exception_handler_server.cc(524)] ConnectNamedPipe: The pipe is being closed. (0xE8)
[0308/093317.301:ERROR:exception_handler_server.cc(524)] ConnectNamedPipe: The pipe is being closed. (0xE8)
[0308/093359.159:ERROR:exception_handler_server.cc(524)] ConnectNamedPipe: The pipe is being closed. (0xE8)

Maybe some of these epubs I have gotten from the internet are corrupted? They seem to open fine so I don't know.
vijer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2017, 06:00 AM   #81
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is this Windows? If so, which version? Sigil does not generate a debug log of any sort internally so the log you are seeing is generated by something else failing.

You can report Sigil bugs via our github site or here in our support forums.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:37 AM   #82
KevinH
Sigil Developer

vijer, FYI that is not a Sigil error string. Have you run a good virus checker on your system?

Are you using Chrome by chance? exception_handler_server.cc is a source code file in the google chromium/chrome projects. I believe it is part of something called crashpad.

See: https://chromium.googlesource.com/cr...dler_server.cc

Last edited by KevinH; 03-08-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:02 AM   #83
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@Trane I wonder whether Microsoft's tool for recording screen shots could be helpful in showing the devs what you are doing? Take a look at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...0-record-steps
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:06 AM   #84
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't think we can rule out display-driver issues, either. The Insert File dialog that sometimes fails to launch for @Trane is tasked with building thumbnails for every image that the epub contains, as well as a preview for the one selected.

@crutledge reported a crash a long time ago that was related to jpeg images (and possibly deletion) that I remember I was able replicate. I'm pretty sure we fixed it, but I can't seem to track down the thread where it was discussed (nor identify the commit that fixed it). If anybody comes across that discussion, I'd sure appreciate it if they could shoot me a link to it.

NOTE: it's not the one Turtle91 reported that Kevin fixed recently (deleting images and refreshing the Reports window).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:56 PM   #85
KevinH
Sigil Developer

FWIW:
For Windows users seeing a crash or bug in Sigil, here are two links about enabling crash reporting on Windows for general applications:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/activa...ting-windows-8

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx

Those crash dumps could be quite valuable in determining exactly what is conflicting with what.

If you can recreate one of these hangs, please think about enabling the storage of local user crashdumps and looking for new crashdumps after your issue with Sigil happens and posting that information here or in at issue at our github site.

Thanks,

KevinH
Old 03-09-2017, 07:53 AM   #86
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
This may be out there a little bit, but I've discovered (through trial and error-error-error-error-error) that if for some reason the epub being worked on is write protected in some way, you get the same error. Through what I believe to be some excellent programming, though, Sigil doesn't actually close; you are permitted to go back in and give a different filename.

FWIW
JustinThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #87
Trane
Groupie

Small update

I just read what's been posted since here last and see at least one other person is experiencing this.

I was waylaid for nearly a month with my very ill friend, but have been working diligently on the book for the past 2 weeks trying to make up for lost time, so still can't take time out for troubleshooting but WILL do that when I finish the book.

I am just reaching the end of the phase of inserting pictures and have noticed two things:

1. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason at all as to when Sigil crashes. I am going through the same motions regardless, and sometimes it crashes and sometimes it doesn't. (I realize there IS a reason, just saying it's not related to keystrokes or a particular action I am taking, [aside from it happening only when the window opens that allows you to select a picture].)

2. I noticed the longer I am working in Sigil, the more frequently it crashes. I might work for 2-3 hrs without a hiccup, then I get a crash... then another, then another... and they start happening closer together until it's crashing with nearly every other picture I place. And again... nothing is different about the types of pictures or my routine in placing them.

3. The Adobe Photoshop angle has also been eliminated, as yesterday when it kept crashing I started closing Adobe between needing it, so that when I went back to Sigil to add exisitng files and insert pics, Adobe was closed. And it crashed anyway.

FTR I am using Windows Ultimate 64, and Firefox v50.1.0. No real-time AV as I use Sandboxie, but have scanned the computer on-demand with no viruses. No other programs are giving me problems. Graphics driver is up to date for the hardware (this is an older laptop with shared RAM/nVidia integrated - no discreet graphics card).

Will certainly come back and use the links provided to enable Windows debugging and also check the standard Win system logs when time allows. It's kind of nice to know I'm not the only one this is happening to.

Last edited by Trane; 04-06-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:26 PM   #88
Trane
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
FWIW:
For Windows users seeing a crash or bug in Sigil, here are two links about enabling crash reporting on Windows for general applications:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/activa...ting-windows-8

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx

Those crash dumps could be quite valuable in determining exactly what is conflicting with what.

If you can recreate one of these hangs, please think about enabling the storage of local user crashdumps and looking for new crashdumps after your issue with Sigil happens and posting that information here or in at issue at our github site.

Thanks,

KevinH
Oh hell, I always do this... Might as well enable dumping... do I use the Custom, Mini or Full Dump mode? Until I hear back will set to full dump, though I suspect mini would be sufficient? (EDIT: Chose mini after all, and made a custom key for Sigil.exe)

Last edited by Trane; 04-06-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:27 PM   #89
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Have you ran a good hardware diagnostic? Especially for the RAM.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:49 PM   #90
Trane
Groupie

If it were a RAM/hardware problem I would be getting anomalous behavior in general. Not just with one program.... IME.

Last edited by Trane; 04-06-2017 at 01:51 PM.