Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-10-2014, 09:00 PM   #1
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Kobo Firmware 3.5.0

Kobo has released 3.5.0 of the firmware.

And version 3.9.0 of the PC Desktop.

This be the thread to discuss it.

Click here for the Direct Links thread...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:52 PM   #2
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Kobo has released 3.5.0 of the firmware.

And version 3.9.0 of the PC Desktop.

This be the thread to discuss it.

Click here for the Direct Links thread...

3.5.0 is not showing up on my Kobo Aura HD.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2014, 12:05 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Remember... Releases are done by affiliate, and even within one affiliate, not all at the same time.

If you HAVE to get it, sideload; otherwise just wait.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:41 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
calbre support for 3.5.0

The KoboTouch driver in Calibre has been updated for firmware 3.5.0. The changes needed were only for the firmware version and the DBversion. The DBversion change means that previous versions of calibre will not correctly send covers to the device. This will also affect the cover uploading function of the Kobo Utilities plugin. Because of this, I recommend upgrading calibre to V1.44.0.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:07 AM   #5
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Well, i've just updated my Glo (side loaded) and I'm not sure what differences to look for.

Bear in mind, I only use Calibre cleaned side loaded epubs on the Glo (no kepubs).

Thanks Murg for the update link. (Karma to you!!)

Edit
I won't bother side loading the upgrade for the Kobo Desktop, I'll just wait for that to roll out.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2014, 02:10 AM   #6
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Some things I've noticed so far with 3.5.0 on my Glo compared to 3.4.1:

* Epub long paragraph bug seems to be fixed.
* After waking from sleep caused by a timeout, and after unplugging from a PC connection, the light now returns to the state it was in before sleeping/connecting. (It used to always be off).
* The option to automatically turn off light after a time has been removed.
* Scrolling in the web browser is smoother and faster.
* Sync is faster.

Last edited by GeoffR; 07-11-2014 at 02:28 AM. Reason: ... and after unplugging from a PC connection, ...
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:13 AM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Smoother browser scrolling could just rope me in to sideloading this one...
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:29 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kobo have stated that firmware 3.5.0 will be released for the Glo, Aura and Aura HD. They state the improvements as:
  • Better Annotations Experience
  • Various Bug Fixes
  • Stability Improvements

Here is my list of changes I saw during the beta process:
  • Annotations list
    • completely updated
    • Most of this was in 3.4.1, but some things didn't work well
  • New Adobe RMSDK
    • Support for new Adobe DRM
    • Long paragraph bug is fixed!
  • Light state remembered across sleep, power off and connection to PC
  • Search
    • Radio buttons for location replaced with drop-down at end of list
    • Sort options in result list
  • Less flashing when scrolling in the browser
Known bug fixes:
  • Long paragraphs. Yes, I mentioned it above, but it's worth repeating
  • If "Track reading activity" is not selected, the reading stats tile is no longer displayed after finishing a book.

There are probably some other things, but, these are the things I noticed.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:45 AM   #9
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Sounds quite nice. Long paragraph bug fixed; I'm almost sad - it had become such a trusty companion. First thing Adobe got right since when?

What about the improved annotations? Can you properly export them now? And are they finally displayed in the correct order?

However, as soon as they force me to use ADE 3 to download my books they'll have lost a customer.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:30 AM   #10
stanlefor
Connoisseur
stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Kobo have stated that firmware 3.5.0 will be released for the Glo, Aura and Aura HD. They state the improvements as:
(...)
Less flashing when scrolling in the browser
Looks like a great release. Let's try it.
I have a question : how many years of beta testing is needed for an app? :P I think that chess, browser... could become stable one day.
stanlefor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:07 AM   #11
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
I've entitled 3.5.0 as the Let There Be Light release, in honour of fixing the light after sleep problem.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:57 AM   #12
8140david
Connoisseur
8140david began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have the "Kobo Aura" sold by Fnac in France (http://www.fnac.com/Liseuse-numeriqu...e/a6451351/w-4).
The firmware for that is "New Aura", right? (I wouldn't want to make a mystake sideloading...)
8140david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:19 AM   #13
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo
Broken record mode: Have they fixed the line spacing in Kobo Nickel?
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:39 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Sounds quite nice. Long paragraph bug fixed; I'm almost sad - it had become such a trusty companion. First thing Adobe got right since when?

What about the improved annotations? Can you properly export them now? And are they finally displayed in the correct order?
There is no Kobo supplied export. The sorting is still broken for epubs if you close and reopen the book. But, the new annotations list has two sort options: Location and Recent (date). The Recent sort doesn't seem to have problems after reopening.
Quote:
However, as soon as they force me to use ADE 3 to download my books they'll have lost a customer.
That isn't likely to happen soon. Kobo picked up all the Sony users as customers. As the Sony devices are not likely to be upgraded to the latest RMSDK, Kobo can't move to the new DRM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joques View Post
Broken record mode: Have they fixed the line spacing in Kobo Nickel?
Nothing has changed with the fonts.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:24 AM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I've entitled 3.5.0 as the Let There Be Light release, in honour of fixing the light after sleep problem.
That is awesome. I might have to upgrade just for that!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote