Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 04-05-2020, 05:14 PM   #1
PMrev
Groupie
PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: kindle
Android Beta Testers Wanted

Hello Everyone,

If you are interested in becoming a CC beta tester for Android, please send an email to ccfeedback@goldtreeway.com.

Please also send these details:

1. Device
2. Operating system
3. # of books in library

Thank you,
Alex
PMrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:39 AM   #2
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
As an existing Android CC user, will any new Android version of CC move to a subscription model like the iOS version did?
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2020, 09:12 AM   #3
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
I've sent you my data: hope to be hearing from you.

Kind regards,

[INCANUS]
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:44 AM   #4
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
I will NOT be updating CC on my Android devices. It works just fine and I don't want to take the chance it will be screwed up until I pay money out like happened in IOS.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:34 PM   #5
Incanus
Incanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
It works just fine and I don't want to take the chance it will be screwed up until I pay money out like happened in IOS.
I dare say you're right... for now. Obsolescence is real concern, otherwise I'd not bother to check or follow up on a new CC version.

But that's my take on this whole new version of CC matter, of course; I do respect your choices, etc.

[INCANUS]
Advert
Old 04-06-2020, 12:47 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incanus View Post
I dare say you're right... for now. Obsolescence is real concern, otherwise I'd not bother to check or follow up on a new CC version.

But that's my take on this whole new version of CC matter, of course; I do respect your choices, etc.

[INCANUS]
As long as My TAB A runs, I see no pressing need to risk CC updates.

I don't expect Calibre to change in a way that current CC will not work. There are Calibre users on really old versions (1.48 I can't remember if CC was supported back then. ) as well as the latest (4.13)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:49 PM   #7
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:

[INCANUS]
Well, my Android tablet is so old, it is no longer being updated anyway, so my choice is obvious to me. If I get a new Android tablet, then things would probably change.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:03 PM   #8
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
all i am missing with current version is a fix for dropbox authentication on new devices. If the beta has a fix for that, I'm interested, otherwise I will wait & see.

and for full disclosure, I have followed the debate about CC subscriptions since they were first mooted. While a dropbox fix would be nice, its not enough for me to want to subscribe,just to have that. I will just continue to use the calibrebox app ( already paid for) for that instead, and the existing paid-for CC to connect to content server.

note to developers: the danger with bugs that are allowed to fester for ages (2 years plus for dropbox auth in android CC- it was broke well before you bought the program rights from the previous guys) is that users discover workarounds in the meantime, and thus lose interest in buying an eventual fix.

Last edited by stumped; 04-06-2020 at 03:36 PM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:56 PM   #9
Incanus
Incanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I don't expect Calibre to change in a way that current CC will not work. There are Calibre users on really old versions (1.48 I can't remember if CC was supported back then. ) as well as the latest (4.13)
Good to know. I'd rather not take chances, so I'm also exploring other alternatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Well, my Android tablet is so old, it is no longer being updated anyway, so my choice is obvious to me. If I get a new Android tablet, then things would probably change.
Indeed: a good reason for not being interested in the new version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
note to developers: the danger with bugs that are allowed to fester for ages (2 years plus for dropbox auth in android CC- it was broke well before you bought the program fights from the previous guys) is that users discover workarounds in the meantime, and thus lose interest in buying an eventual fix.
Too true.

Last edited by Incanus; 04-06-2020 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Multiple quotes on one reply.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:49 PM   #10
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
If I made the effort to properly learn all the moon reader app features for shelves and favourites, I could probably just copy my whole library toner card and import it all., Instead of using cc to get books for reading
Lack of a user manual for moon and lack of a thriving user discussion area for the app features is what holds me back
Then if I set up folder sync pro, which I already own, to mirror my library changes onto that SD card, I would not need CC any more.
There is a lot of sorting and filtering stuff in CC that I never use. For me it is just a convenient "fetch" tool

The one new feature I can think of would not be simple, it would be to interact with apps like moon reader in order to pull annotations, highlights.. and store them outside of the reader app, with a view to eventually sending them back to calibre or onwards to other apps.
It is not simple right now to mark a typo while reading ,then get that marker back to where the copy in calibre library can be fixed.

Last edited by stumped; 04-06-2020 at 03:56 PM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:14 PM   #11
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
The last version - not released in the play store - is available in http://charles.the-haleys.org/CC_Updates/. You can grab your full apk from there and it should work as long as you purchased a copy using Google Play.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:55 PM   #12
PMrev
Groupie
PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.PMrev is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
As an existing Android CC user, will any new Android version of CC move to a subscription model like the iOS version did?
Yes we plan on moving in the direction of a subscription model.

Based on user feedback though, we are maintaining a majority of the UI/UX layout and implementing upgrades to deprecated libraries for speed and bug fixing.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:57 PM   #13
PMrev
Groupie

Quote:

[INCANUS]
I would try trusting us to deliver new features in the future and making sure the app doesn't fall into a deprecated state.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:00 PM   #14
PMrev
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
all i am missing with current version is a fix for dropbox authentication on new devices. If the beta has a fix for that, I'm interested, otherwise I will wait & see.

and for full disclosure, I have followed the debate about CC subscriptions since they were first mooted. While a dropbox fix would be nice, its not enough for me to want to subscribe,just to have that. I will just continue to use the calibrebox app ( already paid for) for that instead, and the existing paid-for CC to connect to content server.

note to developers: the danger with bugs that are allowed to fester for ages (2 years plus for dropbox auth in android CC- it was broke well before you bought the program rights from the previous guys) is that users discover workarounds in the meantime, and thus lose interest in buying an eventual fix.
1. Yes Dropbox will be fixed
2. Agreed it may not be enough but let us work over time to release new features and things that may be as value to you. 1st priority is stabilizing the apps and updating libraries.
3. Agreed development time has been slow, but we are now on a good cadence of development. As discussed on other threads, we have pointed out what we plan on fixing on iOS.

Android first goals:

1. Library upgrades (will fix dropbox / other api issues)
2. Subscription model (slightly different that iOS, stay tuned....)
Old 04-06-2020, 08:20 PM   #15
milady133
Groupie
milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Hisense A5
Quote:
Good to know. I'd rather not take chances, so I'm also exploring other alternatives.
Hi, Incanus. Just a thank you for drawing my attention to Librera app. I'm looking around for different alternatives, not only to CC, but also to my preferred reading app in Android, which seems it isn't working with latest Android versions (Bookari). I might give Librera a try in the future.
Also, it seems to work without the official Google Services, as I'm considering getting a Hisense 5 for reading on the go, that might be a plus.
milady133 is offline   Reply With Quote