Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-20-2015, 07:01 AM   #1
HarryHutton
Connoisseur
HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Voyage, Samsung Note 10.1, Nook Simple Touch, M92
Navigation bar idea?

A friend of mine commented that navigation bars in e-readers are kind of like the side of books - but books show bookmarks as well.

E-readers could probably still be better - they could automatically show bookmarks, chapters and annotations/highlights too.

What do you think about this? What would be positive or useful? What do you think the potential negatives could be?
HarryHutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:25 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't know about other devices, but Kindles do show highlights and bookmarks. How would you know that they were there if you couldn't see them?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2015, 07:25 AM   #3
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW 1, 2, and 3, Voyage, Oasis 2, Kindle Fire, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Lynx
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHutton View Post
A friend of mine commented that navigation bars in e-readers are kind of like the side of books - but books show bookmarks as well.

E-readers could probably still be better - they could automatically show bookmarks, chapters and annotations/highlights too.

What do you think about this? What would be positive or useful? What do you think the potential negatives could be?
I think that you're thinking of it as a study guide. That would probably be useful in that scenario. For me, who pretty much only uses my ebook readers for pleasure reading, that would drive me nuts. I usually read from start to finish. I very rarely highlight, and when I do, it's because I liked a particular quote from the book. If I'm reading on my Kindle, then that quote is saved on my kindle.amazon.com page. If I'm reading on one of my other devices, and the quote is so important that I want to keep it, I write it down.

I don't need or want that clutter at the side of the screen where it's in my view every time I read a line.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:25 AM   #4
HarryHutton
Connoisseur
HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't know about other devices, but Kindles do show highlights and bookmarks. How would you know that they were there if you couldn't see them?
Not in the navigation bar
Old 05-20-2015, 07:30 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHutton View Post
Not in the navigation bar
Presumably because its purpose is to allow you to flip through a book very quickly. It would slow it down if it showed highlights and bookmarks.

I don't see this as a significant issue; it's very easy to go through all your highlights and bookmarks using the menu item for it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2015, 07:36 AM   #6
HarryHutton
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I think that you're thinking of it as a study guide. That would probably be useful in that scenario. For me, who pretty much only uses my ebook readers for pleasure reading, that would drive me nuts. I usually read from start to finish. I very rarely highlight, and when I do, it's because I liked a particular quote from the book. If I'm reading on my Kindle, then that quote is saved on my kindle.amazon.com page. If I'm reading on one of my other devices, and the quote is so important that I want to keep it, I write it down.

I don't need or want that clutter at the side of the screen where it's in my view every time I read a line.

Shari
Yeah, I'm kinda thinking of people who read non-fiction, or classics for uni/bookclub and the like.

It'd probably look like a normal page when not in use