Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How many shops have you bought ebooks from?
None. (I use the library and/or Public Domain and/or freebies) 4 3.51%
1 (Why bother with more than 1?) 8 7.02%
2 (The best of both) 7 6.14%
3-5 (Why stop at two?) 37 32.46%
6-20 (I've been buying a long time) 40 35.09%
20+ (A really long time) 13 11.40%
The Blue one next to the Fish 5 4.39%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2020, 03:58 AM   #91
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I must admit I'm surprised at the number of people who've bought from more than five different ebook stores, even though I myself am in the 20+ category.

And I'm pleased to see how many have the Blue one next to the Fish.

One week to go, if you haven't picked an option yet.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:07 AM   #92
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I must admit I'm surprised at the number of people who've bought from more than five different ebook stores, even though I myself am in the 20+ category.

Probably more would've voted higher if it's possible to change votes.

My knee jerk vote was 3-5 when actual really should've been 6-20.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:40 PM   #93
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Probably more would've voted higher if it's possible to change votes.

My knee jerk vote was 3-5 when actual really should've been 6-20.
This. I was thinking what books I normally bought from rather than one offs.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:11 PM   #94
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
For me, I didn't bother with the one offs. Just too many over the years.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:43 PM   #95
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Mine weren't just one-offs. I just genuinely forgot about those stores until I saw them mentioned.

I kinda stopped buying from non-Nook/Amazon/Kobo after Microsoft dropped Microsoft Reader and after the Adobe breach.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:59 AM   #96
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
If you paid for them, one-offs count.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:02 AM   #97
binaryhermit
Wizard
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen, so-called "All-New Kindle" (AKA 10th gen)
I'm kinda surprised how heavily skewed in one direction this poll is...
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:26 AM   #98
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Why? This is a forum of people who buy and read more books than is the norm.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:11 AM   #99
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Why? This is a forum of people who buy and read more books than is the norm.
Apache
I don't buy large numbers of books (I read a lot of library books) but I listed several stores.

Sony - my first ereader was a Sony and I bought books from their store.

Kobo - when Sony shut down its store, Sony accounts and purchased book libraries were transferred to Kobo so this was the next logical place to shop.

Google Play - family and friends can easily give me gift cards to this store - a lot of my purchases there have been on gift cards.

Books a Million - sometimes I have found cheaper prices there.

Gutenberg - because who hasn't acquired at least a few free classics?
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:48 AM   #100
rantanplan
rantanplan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle Paperwhite 2018, Tolino shine 3
Quote:

In Germany we have the situation where many publishers are part of the Tolino alliance and you can actually link your accounts for your ereader and Tolino app.
Additionally, basically any local bookstore can use the buchhandlung.de platform and will get a percentage for every ebook sold via their online store.

On your ereader device you'll see all ebooks from all linked stores in one giant library. This is IMHO the most consumer friendly solution at the moment.

Additionally I also have a Kobo account for the few books not available on the Tolino platform.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:44 PM   #101
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Gutenberg - because who hasn't acquired at least a few free classics?
I didn't count Gutenberg or any of the other sources for free ebooks. The thread title does say "bought ebooks from" which, to me, eliminates free ebooks.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:33 PM   #102
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I didn't count Gutenberg or any of the other sources for free ebooks. The thread title does say "bought ebooks from" which, to me, eliminates free ebooks.
I voted shortly after this thread was started and did not include Gutenberg in my total. I mentioned it in my post today because there had been some discussion later in the thread as to whether "free" counted. I'd still be in the "3-5" category with or without Gutenberg.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:15 AM   #103
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Given the self-selecting nature, the self-reporting, people's various interpretations of the question, and fallible memories, I think we'll just have to treat the results with the respect they deserve.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:48 AM   #104
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Given the self-selecting nature, the self-reporting, people's various interpretations of the question, and fallible memories, I think we'll just have to treat the results with the respect they deserve.
Polls on MobileRead aren't super serious and scientific?
Old 01-30-2020, 11:09 AM   #105
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Polls on MobileRead aren't super serious and scientific?
They are probably about as accurate as any poll you read in the paper. Yea, that's faint praise.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote