Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-01-2024, 10:57 AM   #1
fogice
Groupie
fogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Pocket on Kobo is losing formatting

I'm following an author who self-publishes a web serial. I thought that I could save each chapter in Pocket for easier reading on my Kobo, but some important formatting is getting lost. Specifically, section breaks vanish.

On the website, a section break looks like this:

And the HTML for that section looks like this:

However, when I save the article through Pocket and read it on my Kobo, the section break vanishes:

And the HTML in the Articles folder on the Kobo is really weird at that point, the line vanishes entirely:

I also tried using FanFicFare, but (a) it doesn't recognize the author's website and (b) I don't want to have to sync from my computer.

So, two questions:

(1) Is there a better way to transfer web pages to my kobo without syncing on my computer? Something leveraging send.djazz perhaps? I thought the URL feature on djazz would accomplish that, but that's not what that does.

(2) Which company is in charge of the Pocket to Kobo code? I'd like to send this issue to the appropriate people.

The examples above are taken from Arc 1 Chapter 5 of CLAW by Wildbow. This happens with every section break so far.

Last edited by fogice; 04-01-2024 at 12:02 PM.
fogice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 08:28 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Copy & paste Web to LO Writer. Style as desired. Extra Save As in docx. Calibre docx to epub2.

Pocket is a privacy hazard and is inflexible.

Paragraph spacing is for children's picture books. Indent at the start of a paragraph is better. Esp on smaller ereaders.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2024, 10:20 AM   #3
fogice
Groupie
fogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Copy & paste Web to LO Writer. Style as desired. Extra Save As in docx. Calibre docx to epub2.
I'm looking for a way to do this without involving my computer and Calibre, since these will be for quick disposable reading and are released twice a week. There are plenty of good tools to epubify a webpage.
Quote:
Paragraph spacing is for children's picture books. Indent at the start of a paragraph is better. Esp on smaller ereaders.
I also prefer indents, but that still doesn't help me with the missing section breaks.
Old 04-02-2024, 11:21 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I'd never consider putting stuff on the ereader without via Calibre.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 05:05 PM   #5
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogice View Post
I'm looking for a way to do this without involving my computer and Calibre
I doubt that's possible. If the formatting isn't converted properly by the service you're using, then you'll have to convert it yourself, and that will require a computer. If you don't want to use Calibre, you could use Sigil. (I know, I know... that's not what you meant, but I couldn't resist.)
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2024, 05:09 PM   #6
fogice
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I doubt that's possible. If the formatting isn't converted properly by the service you're using, then you'll have to convert it yourself, and that will require a computer. If you don't want to use Calibre, you could use Sigil. (I know, I know... that's not what you meant, but I couldn't resist.)
Looks like I'm going to have to just read on my phone, then. At least I can use a bookmarklet (from dotepub) to convert and save to Files on my iPhone, then open it in Apple Books. Not as nice as reading on my Kobo, but far far better than scrolling in Safari. And it preserves the section break.
Old 04-03-2024, 10:56 AM   #7
mantheron
mantheron began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogice View Post
Looks like I'm going to have to just read on my phone, then. At least I can use a bookmarklet (from dotepub) to convert and save to Files on my iPhone, then open it in Apple Books. Not as nice as reading on my Kobo, but far far better than scrolling in Safari. And it preserves the section break.
If you have the epub on your phone, you can use https://send.djazz.se to send it from your phone to your kobo through a third party server.
mantheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 11:20 AM   #8
fogice
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantheron View Post
If you have the epub on your phone, you can use https://send.djazz.se to send it from your phone to your kobo through a third party server.
Oh, good call, I keep forgetting what I can do with Files!
Old 04-11-2024, 06:36 PM   #9
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I got tired of Pocket articles missing the images, I even tried the hacks and still no luck. After trying 10-15 different Chrome extensions I found rePub (meant to save web articles to epub for the Remarkable e-ink readers/note takers. I works great, all the images are there.
just_jeepin is online now   Reply With Quote