Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-22-2010, 10:02 PM   #16
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Not a problem if they don't include the full Unicode range of glyphs no .

I'll add some of these to the second post ASAP. Do you need another particular set appart from the CModNarrow?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:06 PM   #17
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Ok, hopefully, last dumb question:

So I want to put Georgia Sans2 in the linksfont/fonts directory correct? However, there are files already in there? HELP!
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 10:11 PM   #18
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@VictoriaP: Done, they're in the second post. If you've not updated to 2.5 yet, and you were using CModNarrow, try the new default fonts first, they've really been greatly darkened! (But then, I may be a bit biased, I always very much liked the default Serif fonts ^^)

@chilady1: Correct. And, yes, it'll overwrite some of the files already there. (FYI, what's in this folder: the default fonts with their default filenames from a k2i 2.5.3, _and_ the default set of custom fonts. So, you'll effectively be overwriting the custom fonts.)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-22-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:16 PM   #19
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@VictoriaP: Done, they're in the second post. If you've not updated to 2.5 yet, and you were using CModNarrow, try the new default fonts first, they've really been greatly darkened! (But then, I may be a bit biased, I always very much liked the default Serif fonts ^^)

@chilady1: Correct. And, yes, it'll overwrite some of the files already there. (FYI, what's in this folder: the default fonts with their default filenames from a k2i 2.5.3, _and_ the default set of custom fonts. So, you'll effectively be overwriting the custom fonts.)
Cool - thanks again NiLuJe for such quick responses. I just wanted to make sure that overwriting is the right thing to do - wasn't sure but now I think I finally got it. Your GREAT!
Old 06-22-2010, 10:32 PM   #20
chilady1
I devour books!

Ok - I copied all of the files from Helvetica2 over into the linkfonts/fonts directory. Re-started the Kindle and Nothing. There was no change, any thoughts anyone?
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 10:50 PM   #21
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Thanks! I too like the default font, it just simply hasn't been dark enough previously. I'll be very interested to see the difference for myself.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:58 PM   #22
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@chilady1: By 'no change' do you mean you're back to the default Kindle fonts, or it's still the default custom fonts? And, just to be sure, you did a full restart from the Settings menu, not just a simple 'go to sleep > wake up' via the power slider?

If it's n°1, it means at least one file is missing/misspelled, and if it's n°2, it means something went wrong when you uploaded the content of the Helvetica2 zipfile. Could you attach a screenshot of the content of the linkfonts/fonts folder of your kindle? (with filesizes).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-22-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:08 PM   #23
chilady1
I devour books!

Quote:
@chilady1: By 'no change' do you mean you're back to the default Kindle fonts, or it's still the default custom fonts? And, just to be sure, you did a full restart from the Settings menu, not just a simple 'go to sleep > wake up' via the power slider?

If it's n°1, it means at least one file is missing/misspelled, and if it's n°2, it means something went wrong when you uploaded the content of the Helvetica2 zipfile. Could you attach a screenshot of the content on the linkfonts/fonts folder of your kindle? (with filesizes).
The default Kindle fonts have not changed and no, I did the full restart from the settings menu, not a wake up from sleep mode. Not sure how to do a screen shot, sorry!
Old 06-22-2010, 11:11 PM   #24
NogDog
Noggin (1998-2011)
NogDog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Rats, I thought it worked for me on my K2us, but now I don't think so. (The problem is my lousy eyes, for one thing.) After installing the font hack *install.bin file and doing the update, should there be any indication that the font hack is installed when you go to the Settings screen and look at the version numbers at the bottom? I'm not seeing anything there, except the sscreensaver (SS) hack I installed earlier. And I can't get any font to install. I think I was fooled at first by the Georgia2 not being different enough from the new default font to be obviously different (especially to my bad eyes). I just tried it with the Helvetica2 font to make sure, as that would be very different, but no joy.
NogDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:12 PM   #25
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@chilady1: If you use Windows Vista or 7 there's a screenshot utility somewhere in the folds of the Start menu, or there's always the 'Print Screen' key on your keyboard and a paste in a new image with any graphics software (Even MS Paint, at worst). Most image editors also offer a 'take a screenshot' option somewhere in their 'File' menu.

@NogDog: No, by default there's nothing extra added to the version tag. Can you attach a screenshot from your Kindle (The keybord shortcut is ALT + MAJ + G), your screen should do one, (or two,) 'fade to black refresh', and you'll have a gif file in your documents folder. You can take the screenshot from pretty much anywhere, I should be able to tell if you indeed have a custom font or if something went wrong. Thanks!

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-22-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:16 PM   #26
chilady1
I devour books!

Quote:
If you use Windows Vista or 7 there's a screenshot utility somewhere in the folds of the Start menu, or there's always the 'Print Screen' key on your keyboard and a paste in a new image with any graphics software (Even MS Paint, at worst). Most image editors also offer a 'take a screenshot' option somewhere in their 'File' menu.
Here you go
Attached Files
File Type: doc fonts.doc (237.0 KB, 1517 views)
Old 06-22-2010, 11:18 PM   #27
hybernation
Enthusiast
hybernation began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle 2 US, Sony PR-505
I have also been trying this on my K2 US tonight and no luck. I went through the whole set of instructions (for just the jailbreak and font, not the SS) two times, and tried both the Georgia and Helv. Still just seeing the default fonts.

Anything I can do to help diagnose the issue?
hybernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:23 PM   #28
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yeah, I have an idea or two... (namely, a case issue in the filename, or a missing file extensions, triggering the safety check and aborting the hack)

For everyone falling back to the _default Kindle fonts_, are you all using Windows, and are you all using the default Explorer settings of hiding the file extensions?
Old 06-22-2010, 11:25 PM   #29
chilady1
I devour books!

Quote:
Yeah, I have an idea or two... (namely, a case issue in the filename, or a missing file extensions, triggering the safety check and aborting the hack)

For everyone falling back to the _default Kindle fonts_, are you all using Windows, and are you all using the default Explorer settings of hiding the file extensions?
I am using Vista and yes, default settings that hide the file extensions.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:25 PM   #30
hybernation
Enthusiast
hybernation began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle 2 US, Sony PR-505
Quote:

I'm using Windows 7 x64. I changed the Explorer setting to show hidden and show system things. Also, I used the default windows zip support to unzip the files.
hybernation is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet