Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-13-2018, 04:56 AM   #16
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weak View Post
How untouched does the device need to be? I have connected my PW4 with my amazon account and side loaded my collection, but the firmware is still at 5.10.0.1. Will it still work?
Referring to the PW3 experience I would recommend to Reset device before applying factory firmware.
hius07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:32 AM   #17
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by weak View Post
How untouched does the device need to be? I have connected my PW4 with my amazon account and side loaded my collection, but the firmware is still at 5.10.0.1. Will it still work?
The primary concern is to prevent any sort of firmware update from Amazon before you can JB the device. If you can get the blocking directory created prior to connecting to the internet that should suffice, athough there may be other considerations to take into account.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2018, 11:13 AM   #18
Jokera
Jokera began at the beginning.

Device: PW4
I reenabled wifi, and now I don't see any wifi networks. Is that normal?
Jokera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:41 AM   #19
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Jokera: Unrelated.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:57 AM   #20
Branch Delay
Connoisseur
Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Whoa, awesome! Time to buy a new Paperwhite?

Great job all!
Branch Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2018, 12:33 PM   #21
makue
Custom User Title
makue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
As everythings works well so far there is is no real need to do this.
But do we already see voluntaries here who have successfully updated to the current non-factory firmware version?

@NiJuLe:
If you like I would run some more elaborated tests around the mrpi installer and why it drops error messages "not mounting RO". Maybe you can prepare some testing commands to run in the shell and/or a testing mrpi package.
makue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:51 PM   #22
marrco
Enthusiast
marrco began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw4
Quote:
Originally Posted by makue View Post
But do we already see voluntaries here who have successfully updated to the current non-factory firmware version?
citing the original post: Step X: update to newer Os or do whatever else you want on your jailbroken kind.

so yes, you can safely upgrade to (at least) 5.10.1.2
marrco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:20 PM   #23
makue
Custom User Title
makue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Perfect, really appreciate your hint
makue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:00 PM   #24
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
I’m curious, why do you think amazon made the PW4 so easy to hack and the Oasis 2017 virtually hack-proof?

And, why is the PW4 so easy to take apart, when the Oasis 2017 can only be taken apart by destroying the device?
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #25
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
I really appreciate everyone's efforts. thanks so much. I had given up hope of having a jailbreak for this latest paperwhite.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:15 PM   #26
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@makue: Just following along and/or capturing system logs (showlog -f) during an MRPI install of something (say, the screensavers hack), would be a good start . You won't lose USBNet access, unlike with UYK .

@Pjama: This is exactly the same method that was used on the Oasis 2 (hell, it's the same method I used back on my PW2 to PoC my JB). You just had a much smaller pool of volunteers and users on the Oasis 2, because of its price, and the lack of fallback serial access. After the fact, the slightly more complex and/or finicky hardware meant software needed a bigger amount of tweaks than what we've had to resort to here (which were minimal, essentially just recognizing it).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-13-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:18 PM   #27
elesko
elesko began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw4 soon?
hey, im kinda new to ebooks and was looking for an opportunity to buy one. i stumbled upon the new kindle pw4, i was eying other ones but the kindle looks to be the cheapest compared to others with almost the same features.

now this comes with the drawback of only being able to read ebooks in the amazon file format, which is a huge drawback for me. so its essential for me to be able to jailbreak it to make use of calibre and koreader.

now to my question - if i ordered one today from amazon germany, the wifi special edition with 8gb, what are the chances that those devices having an updated incompatible firmware (to 5.10.0.2 or higher) or incompatible hardware id?

maybe i should look for a different device but the features of the new kindle pw4 are unmatched for its price. any suggestions?
elesko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:54 PM   #28
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@elesko: Just send it back if you can't do what you want with it .

(Note that you don't need the JB to make use of 99.99% of Calibre's features with a Kindle. The .01 % left is basically collections, and that's it).
Old 11-14-2018, 04:07 AM   #29
Jokera
Jokera began at the beginning.

Device: PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The very latest KOReader nightly *should* also be PW4-ready (but if someone tries, I'd like to hear about it, in particular to check if the frontlight behaves properly).
Tried opening it from KUAL but does not work for me. It does not start up, no error message, just returns to the home page.
Jokera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:01 PM   #30
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Jokera: Take a look at the crash.log file in the koreader folder.

Tags
jailbreak, pw4