Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-17-2018, 07:49 PM   #1
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Exclamation PSA for FW >= 5.10.x users

As we've just found out, because of a very old and stupid bug, a piece of code responsible for keeping the JB alive had a crippling bug that subtly broke stuff on FW 5.10.x.

In order to get things working again, you'll need to update to the very latest JB hotfix (either before or after the update), and then, just to be safe, as far as my own stuff is concerned, to use packages from the snapshots thread when reinstalling stuff after the update.

And that's it, crisis averted .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-30-2018 at 09:46 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:50 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Note that, currently, the nomax build of the hotfix will *not* help, as this was a code update, not a packaging fix.
Advert
Old 10-17-2018, 10:38 PM   #3
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Great, thanks!
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:40 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
@NiLuJe: The jailbreak on my PW2 survived but MRPI and KUAL no longer work. (I installed the latest snapshot versions.)
KUAL only shows KUAL in the title bar and the package installer fails with "Failed to parse package."

I didn't know that the hotfix needs to be installed via Update Your Kindle.
KUAL now works fine.

Last edited by Doitsu; 10-18-2018 at 03:08 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:55 AM   #5
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
@Doitsu
Have you tried to install the latest hotfix via menu Update Your Kindle?
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2018, 03:06 AM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
@Doitsu
Have you tried to install the latest hotfix via menu Update Your Kindle?
No. I used ;log mrpi, because I didn't know that the hotfix can be installed via Update Your Kindle. After installing it via Update Your Kindle KUAL works fine.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:32 AM   #7
oumlaut
Omnia sunt communia
oumlaut has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Voyage, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
And that's it, crisis averted .
Thank you once more.
oumlaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:23 AM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Doitsu: Yeah, the hotfix/bridge comes in two different packages:

* Hotfix, to be installed via UYK
* Bridge, to be installed via MRPI

The hotfix is distributed in the dedicated post linked in the first post, while the bridge install is found in the snapshot version of the JailBreak tarball.

It's both a legacy remnant and a safety precaution in case you have a very old bridge that doesn't allow you to run MRPI via ;log after an update .

But they technically both install the very same ting, in the very same manner, it's just packaged differently .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-18-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:01 AM   #9
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I have a jail broken KV with 5.8.7. I have screen savers and font hacks, USB network, kual. Haven't updated it because if it ain't broke...

Tempted by the new features in 5.10.× Will the jailbreak survived the upgrade p. Will I be able to reinstall the hacks
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:40 AM   #10
doctorat
doctorat began at the beginning.

Device: PW3 , Pocketbook InkPad 2
I can confirm for PW3 that jailbreak survives and kual,font hacks and screensavers hack are working. Just needed to update JB hotfix and reinstall everything as it explained by NiLuJe.
doctorat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:46 AM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yeah, amended a sentence to make it clearer an update implies reinstalling custom hacks, which may not have been clear for people who haven't followed stuff closely over the years .
Old 10-30-2018, 05:39 PM   #12
marink0
marink0 began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
So i have question.

I have jailbroken PW2 on 5.9.6, so far I have always used ;log mrpi to rejailbrake/tweaks.
So I downloaded this new hotfix and it got deleted from root.
Did i missed some prerequisites for UYK?

I did install it with KUAL helper just fine, and tried again to put hotfix in root, but again it got deleted.
Since this new update require hotfix to be installed with UYK or maybe doesn't because I preinstalled it before update, so I would just need to reinstall tweaks?
marink0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:46 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@marink0: If a package gets deleted before you can reach UYK, then you're using the wrong package for your device.

In this instance, my crystal ball would say: either you're using the bridge install instead of the hotfix, or you're using an old hotfix package.

If you "updated" the bridge right before the update (either via hotfix or bridge install), then, no, you shouldn't have to do that again after the update, you can jump straight to reinstalling your stuff.
You may want to do a full reboot before that, to make sure the bridge has a chance to put everything back in order, but that's it.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-30-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:25 PM   #14
marink0
marink0 began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
I used hotfix from the first post. *Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.15.N_install.bin*

I will try to update tomorrow and report.

/update
Tried again to copy hotfix on 5.9.6 again it got deleted.
Updated to 5.9.6.1 and copied hotfix and it installed just fine...
Updated to 5.10.1.1, reinstalled tweaks, everything works.

Thanks @NiLuJe for reply

Last edited by marink0; 10-31-2018 at 03:25 PM.
marink0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:06 AM   #15
mzel
Connoisseur
mzel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Everything worked for me on PW2. Thanks a lot!
mzel is offline   Reply With Quote