Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 03:49 PM   #31
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
Rats! I thought you'd say that. Mind you, I can probably count on the fingers of two hands the number of books I've started but had to put down unfinished - even if it was a bit of a chore!
Old 10-10-2008, 03:49 PM   #32
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
>Maybe a commitment would be required to be in the 'choose a book' category? Or would that be too binding to some?

I've got a thought...

What about if you are in the contingent of people who finished, let's say, November's book; and you participated actively in the discussion of that book. Anyone who finished the previous months' book would be eligible to pick the next month's. If there's more than one person (jeez, let's hope ), we could come up with a way to randomly choose from among the people who finished and participated.

Thoughts?
Advert
Old 10-10-2008, 03:55 PM   #33
PsyDocJoanne
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

And yes, I'm 110% jumping the gun here, but if this really takes off, maybe the Book Club could have it's own Forum????

How cool!
Old 10-10-2008, 04:15 PM   #34
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

What about if you are in the contingent of people who finished, let's say, November's book; and you participated actively in the discussion of that book. Anyone who finished the previous months' book would be eligible to pick the next month's. If there's more than one person (jeez, let's hope ), we could come up with a way to randomly choose from among the people who finished and participated.

That sounds like it might end up getting a bit cliquish though..? We might end up excluding those who are too busy one month but still want to play. I preferred your earlier idea of posting suggestions, within an agreed time limit, the taking a quick poll.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:22 PM   #35
PsyDocJoanne

Hi dickon25,

>That sounds like it might end up getting a bit cliquish though..? We might end up excluding those who are too busy one month but still want to play.

I tend to agree, even though it was my suggestion (I hadn't really considered that)....I really want everyone to get a fair shot to participate.

The only thing I see that might be a little unfair about the poll method is this: What if we have a heavy contingent of people who really like one kind of genre (say, science fiction, which I like and know others here do, too)? Then those who don't like that genre may get consistently outvoted, just because SF lovers are in the majority.

Hmmm, I guess we'll keep generating ideas....I'm a willing recipient of any other suggestions you all have...so keep 'em coming!
Advert
Old 10-10-2008, 04:26 PM   #36
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickon25 View Post
Count me in too, but what happens if you hate the book after the first couple of chapters? Do you have to 'fess up' and take a pummelling from the boards??
Just stop reading it. You don't have to participate on every book every month.

My other suggestion is that we should either make sure the thread title included "SPOLIERS" in it... or we should be sure to use the spoiler tags. However, the latter would be a bit of a pain.

BOb
Old 10-10-2008, 04:30 PM   #37
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDocJoanne View Post
I tend to agree, even though it was my suggestion (I hadn't really considered that)....I really want everyone to get a fair shot to participate.
I think perhaps the founding members should choose the books. Just kidding. I would say put each person on a list in the order they join the club. That person can choose a book in the order there name comes up. With the large number of members though it might be a big list.

Another thought is to go with what we were doing originally... follow a list of some type and choose a book from it each week until the list is done.

BOb
Old 10-10-2008, 04:30 PM   #38
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Herley View Post
Just a thought, but if you chose one of mine you'd have the author on hand to quiz -- and to insult if you hated it!
Richard, I think it would be a great idea for you to sponsor a "book club" reading and discussion. Not just here at MobileRead, but maybe at one or more of the online reading or bookclub sites. By reaching out to people in one of the online reading communities, you also get an opportunity to introduce *them* to the concepts of eBooks, direct author-to-reader sales/distribution, etc.

There are a lot of people willing to read advance copies and write reviews.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:31 PM   #39
PsyDocJoanne

Quote:
My other suggestion is that we should either make sure the thread title included "SPOLIERS" in it
I agree. That was part of my motivation for suggesting not even opening a discussion thread until the 4th week of the month. However, I would imagine that others (not reading that month's selection) might want to peruse the thread, too...and they should absolutely be aware that it contains spoilers.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #40
Richard Herley
Author
Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Richard, I think it would be a great idea for you to sponsor a "book club" reading and discussion. Not just here at MobileRead, but maybe at one or more of the online reading or bookclub sites. By reaching out to people in one of the online reading communities, you also get an opportunity to introduce *them* to the concepts of eBooks, direct author-to-reader sales/distribution, etc.

There are a lot of people willing to read advance copies and write reviews.
That's a great idea -- thanks. I'll investigate and see if anyone is interested.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:39 PM   #41
dickon25
Groupie

You can never please everyone, but a lot of people have posted saying they like the idea of the club because it'll push them to read outside their usual genre. So maybe we should give it a whirl and see how it pans out.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:40 PM   #42
PsyDocJoanne

Hmmm....now that we've got a few issues on the table, I'm thinking of putting up a couple of polls in the next day or two so that we can vote on some of these things....so be thinking about the following:

1. How to choose books--we have several ideas for this on the table
2. Which books to choose--we also have several ideas about this
3. What, if any, "rules" will we have?

I also PM'd a mod about getting stickys for Book Club threads. And we also need to make sure that the pertinent threads get marked as having "spoilers" in them.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:40 PM   #43
Katiesue
Enthusiast
Katiesue is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook
I'd like to play please!!!

Totally flexible on the logistics....
Old 10-10-2008, 05:10 PM   #44
dickon25
Groupie

1. How to choose books--we have several ideas for this on the table
2. Which books to choose--we also have several ideas about this
3. What, if any, "rules" will we have?

How about stipulating that that the next month's book must be from a different genre to the one we've just had? That would get round the 'SF majority' thing.....if only for one month!!
Old 10-10-2008, 05:13 PM   #45
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Oh, hell. I'll do it! Everyone dl One Thousand Nights and a Night. Read it before next Wednesday. All 10 volumes.

Now my next edict is... mmmmpphhh! mmmppphhh!!!
Closed Thread