Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-19-2018, 09:32 AM   #46
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Assume that the colour filters let through 1/3 of the incident light. Then the total light reflected by the three coloured sub pixels is equivalent to the reflected light from one white sub-pixel, so the four sub-pixels in a colour display reflect half as much light as four 'sub-pixels' in a B&W display.

So the white subpixel is twice as reflective as E-Ink, but the colour filter cuts reflectance in half. So the 'white' of the colour display will be about as white as an unlit E-Ink display.
The numbers would work. Visually:

Makes you also wonder about how an unfiltered TIR would look like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reflectance.png
Views:	256
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	162909  
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:39 AM   #47
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
The numbers would work. Visually:

Makes you also wonder about how an unfiltered TIR would look like.
Your numbers on the colour pixels should be 1/3

But otherwise, yes, that's it exactly.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2018, 11:04 AM   #48
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Your numbers on the colour pixels should be 1/3
I took 1 as the reflectance of E-Ink white (double the TIR, one third of that with the filter - the average, counting the unmodified white, is the same as e-ink).
Old 03-19-2018, 05:48 PM   #49
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I took 1 as the reflectance of E-Ink white (double the TIR, one third of that with the filter - the average, counting the unmodified white, is the same as e-ink).
Ah - I see. Yes, you're right, and I'm wrong. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:47 PM   #50
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Ah - I see. Yes, you're right, and I'm wrong. Thanks.
You just got lost in the mental calculation... In fact, the drawing board schematic was drawn to make it easier to follow your idea (you have a remarkably good intuition).
Advert
Old 06-04-2018, 06:08 AM   #51
mdp
Wizard

I have been checking for news about CLEARink from time to time: it seems that in the past few days some good info came out.

They opened two offices to distribute the 45 people team: together with the main R&D in Fremont (CA), they now have an electrical engineering group doing chiefly quality assurance in Eindhoven and an office in Shanwei occupied in starting up manufacturing in China.

Recently R&D achieved further improvements: 30% more color gamut, double contrast, double resolution, halved voltage (which makes now the consumption only 10% of LCD). Shown at SID Display Week 2018 were 202 DPI displays with subpixel rendering.

Current phase is the translation of the lab prototype manifacturing in the volume product process (there was a two months delay owing to the "expected unexpected foreseeable unidentifiable" obstacles).

In Q1 2019 there will be the release of small displays and wearable applications.

A few days ago it was officialized «a partnership agreement with a leading tablet maker to supply CLEARink tablet displays beginning in 2019». A focus is confirmed on Electronic school books - which are stated to be in trial manifacturing in China since months. The release is planned for Q2 2019.

The displays can feature frontlight - in a customized implementation forced by the technology, but twice as efficient as the usual one. A proof of concept of flexible displays was done, but there is currently little request from the Supply side; flexible displays cost more, and they are not required for robustness. Bistable displays are also delayed, since the current focus is to deliver video.

The prototypes at Display Week 2018 in Los Angeles showed:
-- Small display (wearables/mobile): B/W, 1:16 contrast, 202DPI, 83% white reflectance;
-- Small display (wearables/mobile): color 30% NTSC, 1:16 contrast, 202DPI, 35% white reflectance;
and the
-- Palm display, the same one shown last year: color 20% NTSC, 106DPI, 35% white reflectance;

Last edited by mdp; 06-04-2018 at 11:07 AM. Reason: 'Plam' is the same as 'Palm', but upon slapping
Old 06-04-2018, 06:23 AM   #52
mdp
Wizard

I took a screenshot of the small B/W display. Should be seen in the real world and the right lighting... Indoors, through the camera, to me the effect looks very similar to E-Ink's EPD.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ClearINK_watch_screenshot1.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	164293  
Old 06-04-2018, 06:24 AM   #53
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
The displays can feature frontlight - in a customized implementation forced by the technology, but twice as efficient as the usual one.
I suspect they're saying the frontlight is twice as efficient as E-Ink's because they have twice the reflectance from the display. So to get as bright a display as EInk they need only half the frontlight power as EInk.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:54 PM   #54
-Lesnikus-
-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Any news? I visited their site, there is still no information about buying dev-kits. It looks like we will not soon see real devices with this technology. That would have Dasung started cooperation with the ColorInk and released a large (19-20 inches) color fast monitor for the computers! It would be the perfect solution for my eyes.
-Lesnikus- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:30 PM   #55
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lesnikus- View Post
Any news? I visited their site, there is still no information about buying dev-kits. It looks like we will not soon see real devices with this technology
[...]
and released a large ...
Well I am also eager for news and checked latest yesterday, but I checked past information and wonder: what suggests that any kit be released before 2019?
What suggests forthcoming prompt availability of large displays? I understand the plan is to have "tablet-sized" ones released probably in one year, next Summer... I would bet to see first the smaller released, and the larger, well, at least undisclosed by the Company as at least an idea before everything else...

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lesnikus- View Post
That would have Dasung started cooperation with the ColorInk
(You mean CLEARink, right?)
I really do not see why Dasung could be a preferential player in such a game. The display controller will not even deal with bi-stable properties.
Let us HOPE that CLEARink will release easily manageable controllers that will help spreading the technology.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:57 PM   #56
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
last thing i read from color screens, was from eink version, they are preparing screens for 2019, but those screens will only have 150dpi and are not suited for ereaders for now, so I doub't we can get proper ereader devices with +250 until 2021 or so, an probably the price will make laugh the current 13" 800€ devices

https://goodereader.com/blog/e-paper...d-color-epaper

Last edited by whopper; 09-11-2018 at 09:01 PM.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:43 PM   #57
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post
last thing i read from color screens, was from eink version, they are preparing screens for 2019, but those screens will only have 150dpi and are not suited for ereaders for now,
First generation ACeP has a refresh rate of 2 seconds per page. They have to improve it a lot before making it current devices material.

Quote:
so I doub't we can get proper ereader devices with +250 until 2021 or so, an probably the price will make laugh the current 13" 800€ devices
Why? I also doubt it in general honouring my skeptical and cynical European upbringing, but the plan according to CLEARink is to have a sector filled by next summer, 2019 - the "Electronic school books" are either usable as """ereaders""" or they must be something entirely mysterious. And, the cost should be much less than that achieved by E-Ink.
You must be strictly referring to E-Ink's EPD future. In that case, two years to (1) get a breakthrough to severely reduce refresh time and (2) arrive to mass-production capacity, seems to me extremely optimistic.

Last edited by mdp; 09-12-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:41 PM   #58
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:

Why? I also doubt it in general honouring my skeptical and cynical European upbringing, but the plan according to CLEARink is to have a sector filled by next summer, 2019 - the "Electronic school books" are either usable as """ereaders"""
yes, and have you seen on youtube their electronic school devices?

6" 100dpi devices, worse screens than the first eink 10 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJG7ZhBlTgU

They only have prototipes with over 200 for super small screens on watches or things like that

Last edited by whopper; 09-12-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:17 PM   #59
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
yes, and have you seen on youtube their electronic school devices?
6" 100dpi devices, worse screens than the first eink 10 years ago
No, I haven't. Why, have you seen anything? I thought the specifications are still undisclosed. Where have you heard that «6" 100dpi» should be part of such specification - also given that I, on the contrary, understood that the "100dpi" tests are buried past?
Old 09-13-2018, 03:39 PM   #60
whopper
Addict

Quote:
No, I haven't. Why, have you seen anything? I thought the specifications are still undisclosed. Where have you heard that «6" 100dpi» should be part of such specification - also given that I, on the contrary, understood that the "100dpi" tests are buried past?
No, just the video of the screens that are showing to sell from just few weeks ago that I linked.

I think that if they are still showing 100dpi screens as samples just months before entering production to supply the manufacturers, we can take for granted that those screens are what we are going to see in the final devices for the first generation.

That's the reason I think we are at least 2 or 3 years away (if not 5) until we can get 10/13" devices with +200 dpi for less than 1000€.

the electronic paper industry seems to advance much more slower than any other. 10 years later after the first eink device, they haven't still breach the 500dpi to make it paper. They released 13" screens after 8 years, and they've been teasing color ereaders from 3 or 4 companies and all of them failed, including mirasol by qualcomm that was by far the one with more money invested. So, I'm not optimistic at all in this regards.

Unless some really big player like amazon starts pouring money towards color screens, I don't think it's going to advance fast enough to be useful as ereaders soon.

Last edited by whopper; 09-13-2018 at 04:23 PM.