Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-15-2014, 05:54 AM   #31
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
kindle-jailbreak-1.8.N-r10342.tar.xz :

Quote:
Not Found

The resource could not be found.
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:20 AM   #32
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@kaznelson: Thanks! Fixed it, and tweaked my upload script to take care of it automatically, because apparently that wasn't an isolated incident .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2014, 03:46 PM   #33
florinl
florinl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Nice work everyone

Last edited by florinl; 06-09-2014 at 04:07 PM.
florinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #34
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Follow the instructions on the Wiki page, the sources are, well, the sources ^^. As a random end-user, you don't really need them .
Old 06-10-2014, 11:10 PM   #35
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
AFAICT, SSH over WiFi is (notoriously?) unreliable w/ some networking hardware/setups.
yes it is....

mntroot rw
crontab -e -c /etc/crontab -u root

Code:
MAILTO=""
#*/15 * * * * /usr/sbin/checkpmond
*/15 * * * * /usr/sbin/tinyrot
*/60 * * * * /usr/sbin/loginfo tmpfs
*/60 * * * * /usr/sbin/loginfo localVars
*/60 * * * * /usr/sbin/loginfo userstore
*/60 * * * * /usr/sbin/loginfo memusedump
*/15 * * * * /usr/sbin/loginfo powerdcheck
#*/30 * * * * _OTAFILE=`ls /mnt/us/[Uu]pdate*.bin`;  if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then /usr/sbin/otacheck $_OTAFILE; killall -
* * * * * /mnt/us/pinger.sh &>/dev/null
* * * * * sleep 15 && /mnt/us/pinger.sh &>/dev/null
* * * * * sleep 30 && /mnt/us/pinger.sh &>/dev/null
* * * * * sleep 45 && /mnt/us/pinger.sh &>/dev/null
mntroot ro

[root@kindle root]# cat /mnt/us/pinger.sh
Quote:
#!/bin/sh
# WHERE THE FOLLOWING IP IS YOUR COMPUTERS IP NOT THE KINDLE!!!!!!!!
# GET IT RIGHT!!!!!!!
ping -c2 192.168.1.150
#
#TODO, find where I left that generalised command to test for wifi "on"ness... sigh
# and shove it in here before the ping (it's on a kindle somewhere)
That gives me a double ping heartbeat every 15 secs via cron.

Seems to sort out most of the fails.

Thought I would share.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2014, 11:21 PM   #36
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@twobob: The OpenSSH client has a (couple of) keepalive feature (one of which is disabled by default) that *might* help. I came upon it for completely unrelated reasons (silly new cable modem/router), but it might help.

Code:
ServerAliveInterval 15
(The server can do the same thing in reverse, via ClientAliveInterval, cf. man ssh_config & man sshd_config).
Old 06-21-2014, 03:28 PM   #37
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Did I already mention how much I hate Helvetica? Naah, I'm sure I did, somewhere.

Anyways, the latest KUAL snapshot (>= 2.3.19) now sports user-configurable fonts (for the KDK-2 version [ie. Touch/PW]), and the default font has been switched to Futura Regular. (I wish we could have been using the actual same font as most of the UI, which is actually Futura DemiBold, but apparently Java is stupid, so, nope).

This is configurable through two new config keys: KUAL_font_family & KUAL_font_style (cf. the default config).

EDIT: It's fairly useless there, but 2.3.25 now handles this on KDK-1, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KUAL_Futura.png
Views:	1086
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	124457   Click image for larger version

Name:	KUAL_Droid.png
Views:	966
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	124458   Click image for larger version

Name:	KUAL_Garamond.png
Views:	940
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	124459   Click image for larger version

Name:	KUAL_Roboto.png
Views:	929
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	124460   Click image for larger version

Name:	KUAL_GentiumBk.png
Views:	943
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	124461  

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-23-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:52 PM   #38
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I just applied the tweaks mentioned in #36 to the OpenSSH configs in the USBNetwork snapshots.

Keep in mind that OpenSSH is *NOT* the default SSHD used by the hack, but if you're experiencing spotty connection issues (over WiFi and/or on FW 2.x for example), you might want to check it out .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-23-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:33 PM   #39
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I just updated the snapshots. I rewrote some helper code used in all my install scripts, so if something behaves badly, please alert me . I couldn't find anything wrong during testing, but I could have missed something .

(cf. https://github.com/NiLuJe/KindleTool/issues/4)
Old 07-25-2014, 09:22 AM   #40
sebarkh
sebarkh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Forgive me my ignorance, but do you guys suspect serious problems with jailbreaking 5.4.5 for PW2?
sebarkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:24 AM   #41
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebarkh View Post
Forgive me my ignorance, but do you guys suspect serious problems with jailbreaking 5.4.5 for PW2?
edit:
My bad - I did not re-read the updated Jailbreak thread with the current status.

In answer to your question: Yes

Last edited by knc1; 07-25-2014 at 03:28 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:09 PM   #42
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@sebarkh: Check the JB thread, there's a whole section dedicated to 5.4.5 in it.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:02 PM   #43
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
sebarkh: Unfortunately there isn't much hope.
The empire strikes back - first they disabled downgrading (sort of), then they closed the only known attack vector.
The dark side is on the verge of reconquering our devices.
We are in need of another Skywalker :-)
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:29 PM   #44
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
sebarkh: Unfortunately there isn't much hope.
The empire strikes back - first they disabled downgrading (sort of), then they closed the only known attack vector.
The dark side is on the verge of reconquering our devices.
We are in need of another Skywalker :-)
Can "LIFE" exist without the irrational challenges posed by Lab126?

What would we all do with our free hobby time without these opportunities?

Last edited by knc1; 07-25-2014 at 11:34 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:45 PM   #45
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I just updated the snapshots.

Dropbear was updated to the freshly released 2014.64 version, and I had to battle some fairly weird issues with it... In the end, strace, git bisect and some good old elbow grease won the day, but I'd be glad for some more testing! So if you're using dropbear with those snapshots, and something weird happens, give me a shout! .

But the good news is that I was able to enable the same kind of keep alive feature than I did in OpenSSH, so, if you had some reliability issues (especially over WiFi and/or on legacy devices), that might help .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-27-2014 at 11:47 PM.

Tags
hacks, kindle, niluje