Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #31
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Pushka: I suspect some stuff in your screensavers folder wasn't in the right format/size...

(That said, I suspect part of this triggers the same kind of bug that alaskazimm encountered: the hack should disable itself if it can't find anything to use as screensavers. I'm missing a few checks in that regard ).
yes, I think that's it. Rather weird that "behind" the screensavers, sits the menu page (or book page if that is where you finished off).
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #32
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Pushka: Yeah, that's the way the K5 UI works . (It used to do this with a white background on previous models, IIRC).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #33
Mikeu48
Mikeu48 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite e-book
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Mikeu48: You're using the wrong file. Check the first post (of the JailBreak) again, then look at your device name/FW version, it should be obvious .?
Yep....you're right....wrong file...eyes read one thing and fingers typed another. God...where's my COFFEE!!! Thanks kind sir.
Mikeu48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #34
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Progress report on the 'use the cover of the last book opened' front!

I have ImageMagick & Python running, I more or less know how to implement it, and have started working on some parts of it. So, at least on the Touch/PW, it looks like it's gonna happen soon . I'll probably backport this to the K2/3/4, too, but it's gonna take a bit more work there.

Anyway, this made me happy, because Python was a frigging hell to cross-compile:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	python_k5.png
Views:	1234
Size:	419.9 KB
ID:	95312  

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-01-2012 at 10:00 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:56 AM   #35
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
I can confirm from previous testing for jackie_w if the screen saver images are smaller than the required resolution then you will see part of the last screen you were looking at before you shut down. If they're too big it crops part of the image.
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2012, 06:13 AM   #36
Leir
Enthusiast
Leir began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hello NiJuLe, i tried to jailbreak and download this screensaver hack today. I am on a Kindle Paperwhite WIFI version. According to your jailbreak, I should use the "data.tar.gz" file instead of the "data.stgz" one. However, I unzipped the data.tar zip file, and coulding find a data.tar.gz file. So I used the data.stgz file instead. Now, I downloaded and uploaded the update_linkss_0.1.N_install.bin. Ejected my kindle, and saw that the Update My Kindle button was greyed out. pretty sure it was because I did not jailbreak it properly. What should I do now? Thanks in advance.
Leir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:29 AM   #37
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hello Leir,
Download kindle jailbreak 1.6 from:
Code:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186645
Copy the data.tar.gz to the root of the kindle, (so if it's drive G on your computer you should have g:\data.tar.gz)
I have double checked the file is there (your computer may not dispay the .gz or even the .tar.gz but the file is directly visible in the zip file)
Eject the kindle from the computer
On the kindle:
Menu
Settings
Menu
restart the kindle
Once it's finished and rebooted you should have a new document which is called:
You are Jailbroken
Next copy the install.bin into the root of your kindle and update kindle.
That should be you all sorted.

<reason for edit: increase information included>

Last edited by Akirainblack; 11-02-2012 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:32 AM   #38
Leir
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirainblack View Post
Hello Leir,
Download kindle jailbreak 1.6 from:
Code:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186645
Copy the data.tar.gz to the root of the kindle, (so if it's drive G on your computer you should have g:\data.tar.gz)
Eject the kindle from the computer
On the kindle:
Menu
Settings
Menu
restart the kindle
Once it's finished and rebooted you should have a new document which is called:
You are Jailbroken
Next copy the install.bin into the root of your kindle and update kindle.
That should be you all sorted.
Hey Akirainblack, I did that already. However, there was no data.tar.gz, only data.stgz. There is a data.tar zip file, i unzipped it, still no data.tar.gz. I've now installed data.stgz into my kindle pw. Do i have to uninstall it?

edit: oops. I put the jailbreak uninstall file into the root of my kindle, restarted it, and got an error 3, which said update unsuccessful, press power button to use kindle.

Last edited by Leir; 11-02-2012 at 06:37 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #39
Akirainblack
abibliophobic

@Leir
As I added (obviously at the same time as you posting)
It's the data.tar your PC is hiding the .gz (recognised ending)
Copy the data.tar to the root of the Kindle and that should work

@NiLuJe
(Might be worth adding to OP?)
Old 11-02-2012, 06:41 AM   #40
Leir
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirainblack View Post
@Leir
As I added (obviously at the same time as you posting)
It's the data.tar your PC is hiding the .gz (recognised ending)
Copy the data.tar to the root of the Kindle and that should work

@NiLuJe
(Might be worth adding to OP?)
So what you're saying is that to copy the data.tar ZIP FILE to the root of my kindle? And I have previously installed the data.stgz file, do i need to uninstall that?
Old 11-02-2012, 06:42 AM   #41
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
on the jailbreak thread it says:
  • for Kindle Touch 5.0.x use data.tar.gz
  • for others (ie Kindle Touch(5.1.x)and Paperwhite(5.2.x) ) use data.stgz

Hence you should use the data.sgtz file for Paperwhite. You should have a "you are jailbroken" file in your Kindle after using it.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:45 AM   #42
Leir
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
on the jailbreak thread it says:
  • for Kindle Touch 5.0.x use data.tar.gz
  • for others (ie Kindle Touch(5.1.x)and Paperwhite(5.2.x) ) use data.stgz

Hence you should use the data.sgtz file for Paperwhite. You should have a "you are jailbroken" file in your Kindle after using it.
Is that so? I do indeed have a "˙ou are jailbroken" book. But when i tried to install the screensaver hack, my "update my kindle" button is greyed out. Not sure if it has anything to do with the jailbreak.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:46 AM   #43
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

where did you copy this update_linkss_0.1.N_install.bin file exactly?

Last edited by thomass; 11-02-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:56 AM   #44
Leir
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
where did you copy this update_linkss_0.1.N_install.bin file exactly?
uh, i just put them where i put the data.stgz file, beside the documents and .active_content_sandbox. Is that wrong?
Old 11-02-2012, 06:58 AM   #45
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leir View Post
uh, i just put them where i put the data.stgz file, beside the documents and .active_content_sandbox. Is that wrong?
no, you did it right.

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch