Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-19-2011, 11:48 AM   #46
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
ooops, sorry. I missed that one. It is interesting because I have that one selected in the search but I never get any results from there and alot of times no books from Amazon although I know Amazon has them because I've purchased them from there. Does it only show a certain amount of each book??
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #47
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Restart calibre in debug mode. Then afer seeing this issue post the log for me to look at it.

Also, do you have a slow internet connection? It could be that the store is taking o long to respond. I have the time we wait for a response limited.

Right now the limit is 10 results per store.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2011, 12:25 PM   #48
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is it limited to how many stores will show results? When I turn it to only look on amazon and harlequin, I get results but when I turn on barnes & noble, amazon and harlequin I only get results from two of the stores never all three. Some of the books will only show up from one store when I know it should show from all three. I have a fast broadband connection so the speed is not an issue. I have also been running my tests on authors who I know have the same books in all three stores. Here are my results, the first is with just harlequin and amazon and the second is with barnes, harlequin and amazon selected:

Spoiler:
calibre Debug log
calibre 0.8.1
Windows-7-6.1.7600
Windows
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7600')
Python 2.7.1
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7600', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Failed to initialize plugin: u'C:\\Users\\Rie\\AppData\\Roaming\\calibre\\plugi ns\\eReader PDB 2 PML.zip'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 484, in initialize_plugins
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 54, in load_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 160, in load
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 255, in _locate_code
InvalidPlugin: The plugin in u'C:\\Users\\Rie\\AppData\\Roaming\\calibre\\plugi ns\\eReader PDB 2 PML.zip' is invalid. It does not contain a top-level __init__.py file
Starting up...
2011/05/19 16:11:19 BEGIN rebuild menus
2011/05/19 16:11:19 clear complete
2011/05/19 16:11:19 setIcon complete, adding actions
2011/05/19 16:11:19 adding actions complete, checking trigger
2011/05/19 16:11:19 self.previous_trigger=None
2011/05/19 16:11:19 checking trigger complete, getting current menu
2011/05/19 16:11:19 current menu complete, setting up actions
2011/05/19 16:11:19 menu choice CREATE
2011/05/19 16:11:19 menu set complete
2011/05/19 16:11:19 END rebuild menus
Started up in 107.773000002

Here are the links for the web searches for the stores:

amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=13058218...3141011&page=2

harlequin: http://ebooks.eharlequin.com/4E3BE4D...3&SortBy=title

barnes: http://productsearch.barnesandnoble....&UGRP=2&SRT=TA
Old 05-19-2011, 12:32 PM   #49
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is not limited to how many stores show results. It is only limited to 10 results per store.

I don't see anything in the log... I know there was an issue with B&N and LN,FN searches that has a fix coming out in 0.8.2. I'll take a look tonight and see if I find anything.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #50
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
It is not limited to how many stores show results. It is only limited to 10 results per store.

I don't see anything in the log... I know there was an issue with B&N and LN,FN searches that has a fix coming out in 0.8.2. I'll take a look tonight and see if I find anything.
I didn't see anything either but then I didn't know what I was looking for. What I did was restart calibre, then ran the first search and then the second and then shutdown calibre. I understand the barnes & noble thing, hopefully 0.8.2 will fix it but I am concerned with getting consistent results from harlequin and amazon since they are my two biggest stores and I would really like to migrate my purchases from within calibre.
Advert
Old 05-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #51
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Question

user_none:

A question for you, will it possible in a future version to let the feature to limit the number of books per store to be user configurable? For instance, if I am searching on a particular title I would not mind 10 books per store, however if I am doing an author search (which is what I do most times) in order to find all the books by the author I do not want the search limited, since I am looking for missing books to add to my collection. It would be nice, although I do not know how doable it is, if there was an option on whether or not to include books which are already included in my library.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #52
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
user_none:

A question for you, will it possible in a future version to let the feature to limit the number of books per store to be user configurable?
Planned for future releases. However, do realize that we are also limited by the number of results that the stores return. Often this is 10 - 15.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:13 PM   #53
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
I'll take a look tonight and see if I find anything.
All the searches are working just fine for me. I tried multiple times with different combinations of the stores with the given search terms. I'm going to hope that the earlier fixes for 0.8.2 fix this issue. Once 0.8.2 is out let me know if you're still seeing issue and I'll investigate further.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:49 PM   #54
user_none

I have spoken with O'Reilly and they have graciously provided us with a calibre coupon code for use with their plugin. The code is CALIBRE and gives 10% off of your order. Unfortunately, the only way I can apply the discount though the plugin is by having the search take you to the shopping cart page with the ebook having been added to your cart. You can click delete to remove it or click on it to go to the details page. I feel that 10% off is more than worth the little extra hassle to be sure none misses out on it.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:37 AM   #55
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
user_none or chaley,
I've purchased a couple of books, at separate times, through the Get Books feature from Waterstones (UK), but when coming to the download the book, the download comes up as something like 'not book format'. I then have to start up my normal browser and log-in and download it normally.

Is this just me being stupid - doing it wrong or is there a problem?

If you want more info, I can buy another and get more info on the exact message.
(any excuse to buy more books )
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:05 AM   #56
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkin View Post
user_none or chaley,
I've purchased a couple of books, at separate times, through the Get Books feature from Waterstones (UK), but when coming to the download the book, the download comes up as something like 'not book format'. I then have to start up my normal browser and log-in and download it normally.

You are not being stupid.

The problem is that Adobe DRM-infested books must be processed by your copy of Adobe Digital Editions before they can be used. The system browser handles the hand-off of the file to ADE to do this processing. Currently the calibre browser does not. This problem affects all stores that sell with Adobe DRM: Foyles and Waterstones in the UK.

You can make the buying process easier by checking the box "Open in external browser" on the search screen before doing the search. This will tell calibre to use the system browser for search results, eliminating the need to manually switch browsers. It would help if you could do this when you purchase another book, so I can be sure that there aren't any other gotchas lurking in the store plugin.

Let me know if I am not clear. I am currently buried in a problem using Java, and am having trouble switching mental contexts.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:07 AM   #57
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Thanks chaley.

Just bought another book

Using the 'Open in external Browser' does then allow me to also download the newly bought ebook.

Many thanks.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:35 PM   #58
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool another answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkin View Post
user_none or chaley,

If you want more info, I can buy another and get more info on the exact message.
(any excuse to buy more books )
i get some books from ebooks.com, when it's an epub i download it directly to digital editions then go to the 'my digital editions' folder (in the 'my documents' folder in windows) and there is my new epub file.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #59
lamparty
lamparty began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I would like to see http://www.fictionwise.com/ added to the list as they have a large selection of Non-DRM multi-format ebooks, of course a lot of their stuff is locked down six way from Sunday, but as a Linux user, I just disregard those! Not that they give me much choice in the matter!
lamparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:29 AM   #60
Perkin
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
i get some books from ebooks.com, when it's an epub i download it directly to digital editions then go to the 'my digital editions' folder (in the 'my documents' folder in windows) and there is my new epub file.
The hand-off to digital editions wasn't happening correctly when using calibre's 'internal' browser, It comes up with something like 'not book format' and then can't save the file.

If going through browser normally I can download the file - no problem.

But doing whole process with 'external browser' then the purchase fee isn't passed correctly and user_none/chaley wouldn't get their cut.

Tags
calibre, plugin, store, theanarchistlibrary