Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-03-2018, 12:15 PM   #1
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Placeholder for PW4 jailbreaking notes - reminder - DO NOT UPDATE

Reserved post #1

If there is a chance that the 4 can be jailbroken the same way as the 3, then it will be important that you do not update. The current 3 jailbreak requires you to be a brand new kindle that has never received a "wild" update.

Edit:

According to what I can see, the PW4 is able to be jailbroken the same way as the PW4. It will take some time to verify this, but at first glance I would expect it to follow the same rules

The 'factory' install method may only work on brand new out-of-the box kindles that have never received a software update.

Last edited by coplate; 11-08-2018 at 09:31 AM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:15 PM   #2
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Reserved post #2

After my 4 comes in the mail, I am going to start trying to use various usb cables to try to boot it into ADB or fastboot mode, but I don't know if that will be successful.

We have seen people get into it accidentally, but nothing from what I saw identified how someone could get into it on purpose.

I am still convinced there must be some way for amazon to re-flash these easily, without fully disassembling them, since thats a nightmare on the oasis, and these waterproof ones will certainly be more difficult to open for thier repair teams.

Last edited by coplate; 11-03-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:16 PM   #3
coplate
Guru

Reserved post #3

I am also going to try some of the other things that have worked in the past.

Last edited by coplate; 11-03-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:32 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Awesome. I hope you find something!
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:48 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
On the KT3 (which also has the 'Android features' .....
Let it discharge to the 'battery empty' picture ....
Connect USB charging cable ...
Status light will go orange ..
Press and hold the power button .

The status light will go through a sequence of 4 (or maybe more) orange/off cycles followed by 2 (or maybe more) green/off cycles.

I never explored any further than that.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:03 PM   #6
coplate
Guru

It looks like we have managed to get very lucky.

I expect that We will be able to jailbreaks of this new PW4, the same way we could recent PW3 and KOA2.

I expect any fresh-out-of-the-box PW4 to work with this method.

I have send some test links out to people who have contributed, and will wait for their feedback before I post anything.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:13 PM   #7
PeaceBrigade
PeaceBrigade began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite (10th Gen)
So out of curiosity, if someone foolish in the house got to the device before we did and connected it and updated it to 5.10.1.1 (3360340004), does that mean we'll just be out of luck?
PeaceBrigade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:18 PM   #8
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceBrigade View Post
So out of curiosity, if someone foolish in the house got to the device before we did and connected it and updated it to 5.10.1.1 (3360340004), does that mean we'll just be out of luck?
See the other thread on the tear down of the new device. It seems as if it might not be as difficult as earlier models to open and JB via serial port. Of course it would be ideal to avoid the issue and there might yet be a way to do so without opening the unit, but at least the option is there in the worst case.

Dave
dhdurgee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:25 PM   #9
PeaceBrigade
PeaceBrigade began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite (10th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
See the other thread on the tear down of the new device. It seems as if it might not be as difficult as earlier models to open and JB via serial port. Of course it would be ideal to avoid the issue and there might yet be a way to do so without opening the unit, but at least the option is there in the worst case.

Dave
Yeah I'm just not super confident in tearing a device down and jailbreaking like that unless it's very simple and the physical risk to the device isn't too extraordinarily high. As in, if opening it breaks a seal of some sort and it loses its water protection etc.

I'd also prefer to not have to buy extra tools, but that's just cause I'm a broke guy lol. If only you could use Calibre's Kindle Collections without jailbreak then I honestly probably wouldn't need it. Screensavers are really nice, but it's a lack of book organization ease that is the biggest downfall to the device for me.

Question though, if I copy all my books to my PW2, kindle collections to make everything the way I want, is there some way then to sync all those changes and collections to the PW4? (I never thought of it as an option, but maybe it would work?)

Last edited by PeaceBrigade; 11-08-2018 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Typo
PeaceBrigade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:28 PM   #10
coplate
Guru

Quote:
I don't know.

So far, I have focused my attention on the most recent succesful jailbreak method.

I am going to let other people look for other jailbreaking methods, and I am not quite ready to test my method after doing an update :-)

SKK has taken his/hers apart, I don't recall how familiar SKK is with the serial jailbreaking, but that option should allow him to test the updates, and then downgrade over serial if he really needs to - or just jailbreak over serial, no need to downgrade for that.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:31 PM   #11
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Yeah I'm just not super confident in tearing a device down and jailbreaking like that unless it's very simple and the physical risk to the device isn't too extraordinarily high. As in, if opening it breaks a seal of some sort and it loses its water protection etc.

I'd also prefer to not have to buy extra tools, but that's just cause I'm a broke guy lol. If only you could use Calibre's Kindle Collections without jailbreak then I honestly probably wouldn't need it. Screensavers are really nice, but it's a lack of book organization ease that is the biggest downfall to the device for me.

Question though, if I copy all my books to my PW2, kindle collections to make everything the way I want, is there some way then to sync all those changes and collections to the PW4? (I never thought of it as an option, but maybe it would work?)
Don't know as I don't use that feature. Perhaps someone else can answer or you can ask over on the Calibre forum.

Perhaps when that unit was ordered there was a "return for any reason" policy and you can return it or exchange it? Maybe you don't like the color and want the other one? Alternatively, once things are known, perhaps someone more comfortable with serial port JB could help if that is the only option left.

Dave
dhdurgee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:24 AM   #12
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
It is 5.10.1.2 now
https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...2_5.10.1.2.bin
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:11 AM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
So far, I have focused my attention on the most recent succesful jailbreak method.

I am going to let other people look for other jailbreaking methods, and I am not quite ready to test my method after doing an update :-)

SKK has taken his/hers apart, I don't recall how familiar SKK is with the serial jailbreaking, but that option should allow him to test the updates, and then downgrade over serial if he really needs to - or just jailbreak over serial, no need to downgrade for that.
Just to confirm, the JB method you're trying is software-based and not serial, right?

*sigh* I got the PW4-32GB non-SO and it's not shipping until next week.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote