Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-04-2018, 02:19 PM   #91
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matilo View Post
@ mdp

Your were right, the screen is from plastic logic:
Good. I suppose you also read the sentence «The device includes a 150dpi black and white E-Ink display [...], with a RGBC (Red/Green/Blue/Clear) colour filter applied over the top [...] the final resolution is 75dpi».

Note that the «final resolution» is meant to signify areas using colour, while the effect for text is to be seen an could be equivalent to something between 150 and 75dpi.
Which remains too little for most practical purposes.

Last edited by mdp; 11-04-2018 at 02:25 PM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:56 PM   #92
Matilo
Zealot
Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Mars, kindle Paperwhite 2nd generation, kindle fire hdx 8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Good. I suppose you also read the sentence «The device includes a 150dpi black and white E-Ink display [...], with a RGBC (Red/Green/Blue/Clear) colour filter applied over the top [...] the final resolution is 75dpi». ...
Yes!

Quote:
Note that the «final resolution» is meant to signify areas using colour, while the effect for text is to be seen an could be equivalent to something between 150 and 75dpi.
Which remains too little for most practical purposes.
No! This is not my interpretation.

I send them an email. Perhaps they will answer and solve the mystery.

Last edited by Matilo; 11-04-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Matilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:48 AM   #93
Matilo
Zealot
Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Response from plastic logic:

My question was:
"I have just read the article about the youngy book from onyx boox. I have one question. The color filter usage reduces the ppi to 75.

Does it mean that for the user the whole screen has a visible resolution of 75 ppi or just the color areas so that the black and white areas are in 150 ppi?"

Answer from plastic logic:
"The whole screen will have the aforementioned ppi, as the filter covers the entire surface area.

Best regards

Matt"
Old 11-05-2018, 06:07 PM   #94
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No! This is not my interpretation
You have misunderstood what I wrote.
You have to understand how the display effect works.
What switches, does with a 150dpi density.
Four neighbouring dots, in some way, are used to represent a single colour. In abstract. Concretely, it's four dots with different lightness and a fixed filter on top which darkens them to a fixed hue.
Now make the effort to visualize how text is rendered on such system. It will be a set of darkened dots under multicolor filters side by side to a set of lighter dots coloured by the filter. It's not properly 75dpi, since the text is rendered at 150dpi, and it's not 150dpi, since its background is not uniform, nor is probably the foreground.
The effect is probably properly said as being less than 150dpi, given the harlequinade, and more than 75dpi, given that there is an equivalence of sub-pixel rendering, and nonetheless still something anomalous, again given the harlequinade.
Is is clear now?

Quote:
the black and white areas are in 150 ppi
There are no "black and white areas", the black or white areas are one fourth of the display, the remainder being 1/4 dark red or light red, 1/4 dark green or light green, 1/4 dark blue or light blue...

Last edited by mdp; 11-05-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:14 PM   #95
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
You can read more about this in our wiki. E Ink Triton

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:51 PM   #96
Matilo
Zealot

Now it gets complicated. Maybe a bit too complicated for me.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:09 AM   #97
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
ClearInk is a group of investors. It wants to be acquired by bigger player. Until then (if ever) it is not going anywhere.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:49 AM   #98
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Well, you should spend 10'000 hours in the activity of understanding then. Only exercise makes you a pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
ClearInk is a group of investors. It wants to be acquired by bigger player. Until then (if ever) it is not going anywhere.
(You meant 'inventors'?) The planned delivery dates are not far away, we will see. I understand the investors (in production) are already there for the first production instances.
Were it possible, I would invest myself on CLEARink (Displays B.V.). I find the "inventors" inside are convincing names.

--

I am not sure we mentioned Sri Peruvemba's article for the Society for Information Display, 22 Sep '18?

https://www.clearinkdisplays.com/%E6...9C%BA%E5%90%97
Old 11-08-2018, 04:11 AM   #99
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Were it possible, I would invest myself on CLEARink (Displays B.V.). I find the "inventors" inside are convincing names.
The ambiguous, relative formula 'convincing names' worked in the context but in a way is a severe understatement. I took the full pleasure again to skim into the CV of the Advisors:

David Chang (Electronic Engineering): CEO of Philips in Greater China
Martin De Prycker (Ph.D. in CS etc.): Caliopa, Barco, the golden days Alcatel
David Foster (Ph.D. Electrical Engineering and Engineering Science): VP of Product Engineering, Google Hardware division; VP of Hardware Development, Amazon’s Lab (the "Kindle"), General Manager at Microsoft (the "Windows Phone 7"), Apple (the "iMac")
Alan Hulme-Lowe (Ph.D. in photo-polymerization): technical director at 3M
Gary Thomas (Ph.D. in Chemistry): CTO for Display Technologies at Philips

Last edited by mdp; 11-08-2018 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:40 PM   #100
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
The ambiguous, relative formula 'convincing names' worked in the context but in a way is a severe understatement. I took the full pleasure again to skim into the CV of the Advisors:
I would not hold the breath for group of retired "Advisors" being paid to show their names.

Quote:
(You meant 'inventors'?)
I find the "inventors" inside are convincing names.
CLEARink Displays is a venture backed startup formed in 2012 with zero usable products at the end of 2018.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:08 AM   #101
-Lesnikus-
-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough

Device: Nook Simple Touch
For me, the main problem with e-ink is not the lack of colors, but the frame rate. I doubt that in the near future devices will appear on the basis of CLEARink. Just as the Triton displays did not spread.x

Last edited by -Lesnikus-; 11-09-2018 at 04:13 AM.
-Lesnikus- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:10 AM   #102
Matilo
Zealot

Quote:
... CLEARink Displays is a venture backed startup formed in 2012 with zero usable products at the end of 2018.
Here you show that you don't know how difficult it is to develope new hardware. Last year, they celebrated OLED 30th anniversary at SID and as you know only recently the product is shipping in phones and TV. Hardware is hard.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:31 AM   #103
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
I would not hold the breath for group of retired "Advisors" being paid to show their names
I am pretty sure I have seen those advisors on video, presenting the technology, and they gave me the idea of being pretty active in the development?

Quote:
CLEARink Displays is a venture backed startup formed in 2012 with zero usable products at the end of 2018.
But progress is there, and production looks close.
I am in mobility, limited info at hand, please remind me: E-Ink's tech spread around 2008, and started at MIT when, in the eighties?
Old 11-09-2018, 09:38 AM   #104
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lesnikus- View Post
the frame rate
Have you seen the 12fps of Plastic Logic?
(With dutiful note on their slower than E-Ink common displays.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lesnikus- View Post
I doubt that in the near future devices will appear on the basis of CLEARink. Just as the Triton displays did not spread
You mean that the effect of the Triton was bad and CLEARink should be similar? But I understand it should offer much higher reflectance...
Old 11-09-2018, 09:40 AM   #105
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
IBut progress is there, and production looks close.
I am in mobility, limited info at hand, please remind me: E-Ink's tech spread around 2008, and started at MIT when, in the eighties?
First patent (when at MIT) in 1996 on the basic technology (white particles in microcapsules with dark fluid). E-Ink incorporated in mid 1997. First commercial display was in 2007, with the improved Pearl in 2010, Carta in 2013 and Carta HD in 2014.

So ten years from incorporating to first commercial product for E-Ink.

In comparison, LiquaVista started in 2006, and appears to have now been shut down (after 12 years) without ever releasing a commercial product.

So from incorporation in 2012, ClearInk has a few years yet before they should be written off.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote