Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-31-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
vans
Zealot
vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Elonix 621eb, Asus Transformer, Sony PRS505
What is the advantage with PRS+

I have just bought a Sony PRS 505 very cheaply off eBay and I am waiting for it to be delivered.

I have seen PRS+ mentioned in some posts but I cannot find a clear comparison with the standard PRS software.

Is it possible to give me an indication of why people change to PRS+ What is the principle advantage?

Thanks
vans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I have PRS+ on my 350 so I can put in the font(s) I want. There are other advantages as well, but that's the only one I car about.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
And not to mention "Browse Folders", which lets you organize your books in a "standard" folder-structure.

Plus: A Clock in the Statusbar, easy Menu and Key-customisations, some more languages to choose, apps & games and (standby-picture with the option to choose the title-page of the current book - to come in 2.0.13 or via custom-installer-build).

You may have a look at the project page too and check out the Wiki UserManual.
HTH
Mark
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
melkorbauglir
Connoisseur
melkorbauglir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650,LG G7 ThinQ,Samsung S5 Active,Pocketbook InkPad 3
Long story in short....worthy upgrade.+1 internet to PRS+ and its developers.
melkorbauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Most important to me (besides the already mentioned clock) is "book history", which gives you a list of the last 10-50 (you can define, how long it is) books you have been reading. If you swap a lot, it's great.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
vans
Zealot
vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Elonix 621eb, Asus Transformer, Sony PRS505
Thanks for the replies. It sound conclusive that PRS+ is the way to go.

I will now do some research to see how it is done.
vans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
drdann
Connoisseur
drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Any idea on the time frame for 2.0.13? Love the project, looking forward to cover/title page of current book option.
drdann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #8
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I have PRS+ on my 350 so I can put in the font(s) I want. There are other advantages as well, but that's the only one I car about.
Does that work with epubs that have embedded fonts?
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:32 PM   #9
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Can do I think but the CSS requires something like !important coded in to override built-in... check in Sony Reader Dev Corner and someone will have better info, there's a specific thread for PRS+ stuff...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:01 AM   #10
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Does that work with epubs that have embedded fonts?
In short, yes.
In more details: there are different ways to define epub styles, for most epubs generic uproach should work, for others, a bit more customized CSS might be necessary.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:02 AM   #11
oldbwl
Zealot
oldbwl doesn't litteroldbwl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300
If I 'upgrade to PRS+' on my PRS300, will it see the books on there already, and can it be uninstalled easily if I don't want to continue?
oldbwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #12
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
odlbwl

yes, but be aware that because your PRS-300 has no SD-card-slot you will need some free space in IM to run the installer (and may be save some fw-backup files)
(See installation guide)

and no, afaik there is currently no unistaller for the 300.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:30 AM   #13
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500 and PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishcompany View Post
Most important to me (besides the already mentioned clock) is "book history", which gives you a list of the last 10-50 (you can define, how long it is) books you have been reading. If you swap a lot, it's great.
Does it show a time stamp for when you last read those books in that book history? Or can you configure it so that when you look at the Latest Read sort order it'll show the time stamp?
BaenSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:29 AM   #14
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
surqiuzu has posted 300 "uninstaller"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaenSidhe View Post
Does it show a time stamp for when you last read those books in that book history? Or can you configure it so that when you look at the Latest Read sort order it'll show the time stamp?
List is always reshuffled, with the most recently touched books on the top.
You don't see timestamp, however.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #15
malte12
malte12 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Will the pre-installed dictionaries of the PRS-350/650 still work when "upgrading" to the PRS+ firmware?
malte12 is offline   Reply With Quote