Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 12-14-2019, 03:23 AM   #1
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
RBdigital formats? help please

my local library has dropped overdrive and switched to Rb digital- Grrrr.
overdrive was so simple. it used only unprotected mp3 so I knew all the steps for playing a borrowed audiobook in the car via a flash drive
I have a horrible suspicion that those days are done - that the library loans will now be in some DRMed eaudio format that will need special apps and will be unusable in a car that expects to see mp3 on flash drives

I am getting very frustrated trying to google up useful info on rbdigital so if anyone will kindly shortcut the process and tell me what I need to know, that will be great.

our only interest in audiobooks is having them in a car friendly format, and there is no CD player in our car. it can only do bluetooth or USB.
I suppose that if forced to we could have a smartphone app linked via bluetooth to car system IF their DRM does nto block such links and if the apps are not total rubbish. I read lots of BAD reviews of the google play store apps for RBdigital. That would be a last resort thouhg, my wife likes to have the phone running WAZE for directions instead,
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:15 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

update. not all bad, actually
the library site send me here for audio
boorrowbox
https://fe.bolindadigital.com/wldcs_...l?b2bSite=1265
without installing anything I picked one at random & got a zip download full of mp3 files, which play ok
i had to sign in but the library card number and pin that worked with overdrive worked here.
strange because the replacement ebook site needs a new, different set of credentials
so it seems I can bypass the whole special apps & eaudio thing and still do a crude copy to ( temp) flash drive, listen, then delete when done
the media manager app for PC is something called onetouchdigital
names are a mess - that's 3 brands overlapping already: RBdigital, onetouchdigital, Borrowbox, and a betcha can't memorise this web address

Last edited by stumped; 12-14-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:17 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For eBooks, RBDigital using ADE for ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:28 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard

it is gradually makin moew sense.
it seems the library, in its wiswom has decided to have 2 completely separate suppliers: RBdigital for ebooks and magazines ,and Borrowbox akaa bolinda digital for audiobooks
2 separate sets of credentials needed. 2 sets of apps.....
& there are still some broken links that send you to the wrong place or get stuck on "loading" [ they changed suppliers in August t so there's no excuse for that really)
but still, I can get an epub and a set of MP3 so the basics are useable.
interestingly, borrowbox say their audio files have "active security technology" for identification, That's a neat trick for mp3, unless they are bluffing? The only mp3 " technology" that I am aware off, is putting codes into tags, which is what amazon do with mp3 they sell. More akin to watermarking than DRming