Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-09-2019, 02:38 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The H2O also happens to be chunky as hell compared to a PW . That's obviously not the case of a Forma, on the other hand.
And the H2O design is better because it's not as thin. Too many devices are getting too thin and that makes them not nice to hold without a case.

My iPhone 6s is way too thin and I don't like holding it without the case I have on it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:49 PM   #62
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
dang it, Amazon!
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:41 PM   #63
CathyA
Zealot
CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
An interesting thing happened when I installed the 5.12.3 update on my PW 10th Gen via USB. Special Offers disappeared! I now have what I think is the standard lock screen for this model (letters of the word KINDLE in different type faces on diagonal lines) and no ads on the bottoms of lists. The Devices page in my Amazon account still shows this device as having special offers and ads. I'm able to buy and borrow books just fine.

It's been about a week since I did the update, and I haven't seen an ad since. I am definitely not complaining, just curious about whether anyone else has seen something like this?
CathyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:33 PM   #64
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
An interesting thing happened when I installed the 5.12.3 update on my PW 10th Gen via USB. Special Offers disappeared! I now have what I think is the standard lock screen for this model (letters of the word KINDLE in different type faces on diagonal lines) and no ads on the bottoms of lists. The Devices page in my Amazon account still shows this device as having special offers and ads. I'm able to buy and borrow books just fine.

It's been about a week since I did the update, and I haven't seen an ad since. I am definitely not complaining, just curious about whether anyone else has seen something like this?
HOW DARE THEY TAKE AWAY THE FREE ADS WITHOUT YOUR CONSENT!

What does your account information say for this Kindle? Does its still show option to remove ads?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:14 PM   #65
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
HOW DARE THEY TAKE AWAY THE FREE ADS WITHOUT YOUR CONSENT!

What does your account information say for this Kindle? Does its still show option to remove ads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyA View Post

Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 03:05 AM   #66
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
As tomsen alluded to, the key point is whether your account still thinks that you have special offers.

There may be some bug in the current firmware blocking offers on your device. But they will probably return when that bug is addressed. However if the option to remove offers is gone from your account that suggests that Amazon may have removed them from your account permanently.

Usually you pay about $20 to have Amazon remove special offers although Amazon has been known to sometimes remove offers as a courtesy if you contact Customer Service.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:25 PM   #67
CathyA
Zealot
CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Yes, as noted in my post, Amazon thinks this device still has special offers and ads. If I go to my Devices page, it says "Special Offers / Offers and Ads Subscribed
Edit". If I click on Edit, I get the popup that will let me unsubscribe for $20.
CathyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:37 PM   #68
veagles
veagles began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The What's New screen shows:

I suspect that this update includes a fix for the widows and orphans problem in the 5.12.2 firmware, but I have not had a chance to test it yet.

(Edit: The new firmware now obeys the widows and orphans formatting set for each book in KFX - Enhanced Typesetting. It still defaults to "2", meaning that unless a book is coded otherwise it will be rendered without widows and orphans, resulting in fewer lines on some pages.)
This issue has been bothering me a lot, is there any way to set this manually while I convert in Calibre?
veagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #69
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by veagles View Post
This issue has been bothering me a lot, is there any way to set this manually while I convert in Calibre?
One way to restore the pre-5.12.2 handling of widows and orphans for most books is to add the following to the "Extra CSS" in the "Styling" tab of the "Look & feel" section in the conversion dialog:

Code:
body {orphans: 1 !important; widows: 1 !important}
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:42 PM   #70
veagles

Quote:
One way to restore the pre-5.12.2 handling of widows and orphans for most books is to add the following to the "Extra CSS" in the "Styling" tab of the "Look & feel" section in the conversion dialog:

Code:
body {orphans: 1 !important; widows: 1 !important}
I tried this, it's not working.

Extra CSS
Code:
body { orphans: 1 !important; widows: 1 !important; }
sup { visibility: hidden !important;}
KFX Output Plugin 1.35
Kindle Previewer 3.36
Kindle Paperwhite 10th 5.12.3

Last edited by veagles; 12-19-2019 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:35 PM   #71
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veagles View Post
I tried this, it's not working.
It worked in my test. It would help if you could provide an example file that does not work for you. Post here if not under copyright (otherwise you can PM me a link) and I will take a look.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:49 PM   #72
veagles

Quote:
It worked in my test. It would help if you could provide an example file that does not work for you. Post here if not under copyright (otherwise you can PM me a link) and I will take a look.
My bad, this works perfectly. I had set in under common options in preferences but calibre was not picking that setting unless I added it again while converting.

Thank you so much, I had stopped using my kindle after this update. I can finally get back to reading.
Old 12-25-2019, 08:47 PM   #73
xl743
xl743 does all things with Zen-like beautyxl743 does all things with Zen-like beautyxl743 does all things with Zen-like beautyxl743 does all things with Zen-like beautyxl743 does all things with Zen-like beautyxl743 does all things with Zen-like beautyxl743 does all things with Zen-like beautyxl743 does all things with Zen-like beautyxl743 does all things with Zen-like beautyxl743 does all things with Zen-like beautyxl743 does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pocketbook 840-2
What's new in the firmware 5.12.3?
New ugly "Bookerly" font. Before this firmware update Bookerly was great, but Amazon updated the font to 1.201 version and took away hinting data from it. So now freetype library (font rasterization software Kindle devices use) switches to "autohinting" mode and letters got uneven heights, especially with non-Latin characters.
xl743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:00 AM   #74
Jack426
Jack426 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2018)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xl743 View Post
New ugly "Bookerly" font. Before this firmware update Bookerly was great, but Amazon updated the font to 1.201 version and took away hinting data from it. So now freetype library (font rasterization software Kindle devices use) switches to "autohinting" mode and letters got uneven heights, especially with non-Latin characters.
I had to stop lurking the forums and make an account just to say, THANK YOU! This has been driving me insane. The font looks like crap now with uneven heights. I knew something was up when the letters "w" and "i" no longer aligned, the "i" appears shorter than nearly every other character.

I just can't figure out why 1 book still renders the text correctly...
Jack426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:47 PM   #75
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xl743 View Post
New ugly "Bookerly" font.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack426 View Post
The font looks like crap now with uneven heights. I knew something was up when the letters "w" and "i" no longer aligned, the "i" appears shorter than nearly every other character.

I just can't figure out why 1 book still renders the text correctly...
I have an Oasis running 5.12.3 firmware and Bookerly doesn't look all that bad to me.

I have attached a snippet from a screenshot of Bookerly text size 8 bold 1 showing "i" next to "w". The relative heights look good to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bookerly.png
Views:	153
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	176653