Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Based on my needs, what would you recommend
Kobo Clara HD 14 45.16%
Kobo Libra h20 13 41.94%
Kindle Oasis 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-2019, 02:27 AM   #31
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAura View Post
Nice to hear that you like it . The reason why there is a light bleed is because Kobo forgot to apply the electrical tape at the sides. Here is a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxqVLnosNTI) on how to solve it, if you are willing to risk taking your Clara apart. I've never tried it before though, so just a suggestion.
No, it isn't that they forgot to apply the tape, it is that on some devices, the bezel didn't stick properly. Whether that was because it warped a little or heat made it come undone, I don't know. And there is a simpler fix that just needs a felt-tipped pen.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:50 PM   #32
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAura View Post
Nice to hear that you like it . The reason why there is a light bleed is because Kobo forgot to apply the electrical tape at the sides. Here is a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxqVLnosNTI) on how to solve it, if you are willing to risk taking your Clara apart. I've never tried it before though, so just a suggestion.

As for the font boldness, are you referring to the in-built fonts? If you are, when you are in a book, press 'Aa' in the in-book menu, and on the right of the word 'Font Face' there will be a word 'Advanced'. Click on it, then there will be a slide bar for 'Weight'. This will increase the boldness. (Note: This only works for the fonts 'Amasis, Avenir Next, Caecilla, Georgia, Gill Sans, Kobo Nickel and Malabar. The other fonts require downloading something but I'm not sure about those.)
The other fonts require a patch, and in my opinion it is one of the most useful.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 01:45 AM   #33
TJB4916
TJB4916 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thanks for the help.

So I returned the unit today and took home another one.

The first unit had actual light coming through at the sides.

Now I didnt notice in the store, but this one has 6 black spots across the bottom section, if I'm not mistaken this also a form of light bleed as well.

Its not super noticeable, but I'm seriosuly questioning kobos ability to assemble an e reader.

I have a kobo glo. It's like 8 years old. The screens dn frontlight look fantastic.

8 years later the QC is just this bad?

On the other hand, my friends brand new paperwhite is just as clear, just as fast and has no screen defects at all.

All the paperwhite needs is warm lighting and overdrive support here in Canada and I'd probably buy one.

Frustrating to say the least.
TJB4916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:36 PM   #34
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Can you post pictures? I'm having trouble visualizing this.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:37 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJB4916 View Post
Thanks for the help.

So I returned the unit today and took home another one.

The first unit had actual light coming through at the sides.

Now I didnt notice in the store, but this one has 6 black spots across the bottom section, if I'm not mistaken this also a form of light bleed as well.

Its not super noticeable, but I'm seriosuly questioning kobos ability to assemble an e reader.

I have a kobo glo. It's like 8 years old. The screens dn frontlight look fantastic.

8 years later the QC is just this bad?

On the other hand, my friends brand new paperwhite is just as clear, just as fast and has no screen defects at all.

All the paperwhite needs is warm lighting and overdrive support here in Canada and I'd probably buy one.

Frustrating to say the least.
I've seen Kindles with holes in the light layer. So it's not something particular to Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote