Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-13-2019, 01:05 AM   #16
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Or a camera lens brush....
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:29 AM   #17
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Nothing wrong with keeping a can of Compressed Air AROUND.

Just don't use it on the outside of things you don't want dust and things INSIDE of, when they were not there to begin with.
Where did I learn that I had been servicing things poorly? A class on how to maintain my wife's (then) new 5 thread serger. (She took me along, because I kept things running. And yes, I can run a sewing machine just fine. OTOH she can MAKE stuff that does not have 'sew here dummy' marks )

A very soft artists brush (natural fibers. less static), to dislodge the big stuff, FRESHLY CLEAN Micro-fibre cloth next, then a screen wipe towelette (or a barely damp micro fiber. Never spray directly onto the target. Spray the cloth, then wipe).
Jepp, I often see people recommending canned air for sewing machine cleaning on sewing forums. But it is the wrongest thing one can use. The air just pushes the dirt deeper into the machine. A very good thing to get into small crevices is a pipe cleaner. Just make sure to bend it a bit back on itself, because the cut edge of the inner wire is very sharp and leaves scratches behind.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:26 PM   #18
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I must be one of the few people who prefers readers with bezels. The cloths bought for cleaning computer screens seem to get any fluff out of the corners of my kindle's screen; it removes grubby fingerprints too.

The artist's brush is a good idea, I might try that.

Re compressed air: some time ago I took my main laptop to be serviced. He blew high power air from a cylinder into it, sending out clouds of dust and cat hair. This was much more powerful than the silly cans of compressed air commonly available. So it has its place, if you have the equipment and expertise (she said).
I don't recommends this but my laptop started overheating and shutting down unexpectedly and I suspected dust build up or perhaps the fan wasn't working properly. Backstory: this is an old laptop and I had already spent more money than it was worth getting it serviced and didn't want to spend any more money on it. Stuck laptop out window driving down deserted road and apparently it blew out all the dust. Laptop has been working fine over a year now.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 09:02 PM   #19
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
I don't recommends this but my laptop started overheating and shutting down unexpectedly and I suspected dust build up or perhaps the fan wasn't working properly. Backstory: this is an old laptop and I had already spent more money than it was worth getting it serviced and didn't want to spend any more money on it. Stuck laptop out window driving down deserted road and apparently it blew out all the dust. Laptop has been working fine over a year now.
I live in the suburbs of a busy city. If I did this, the laptop would get clogged up with grime. I'm in Birmingham, not far from the Black Country, and they don't call it 'black' for nothing (no reference to ethnicity.)
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:03 AM   #20
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
It's not really a huge problem, is it? Blow at the edges, or use compressed air. Although I've never needed to go to those extremes. Dust doesn't build up that severely.

I do like the flush screens of the newer Kindles, but was not that bothered by the raised bezels. I put skins on my Kindles, so get a tiny edge from those. But the cover is closed if I'm not reading, so don't notice much dust buildup.
I bought a used T2 and it literally had a grey layer around the edges of the screen. At first, I thought the screen was defective but it was a hardened layer of dust. The dust was removed by gently using a q-tip while blowing air (trying not to spit all over the ereader). Despite this, I prefer the raised bezel to a flush screen due to the added protection it gives. I frequently place my ereader face down on a table and the raised bezel helps protect against scratches or even drops where the screen doesn't directly hit the floor.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:06 AM   #21
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I live in the suburbs of a busy city. If I did this, the laptop would get clogged up with grime. I'm in Birmingham, not far from the Black Country, and they don't call it 'black' for nothing (no reference to ethnicity.)
Well, I got a confession to make. . I stuck the laptop out the window not on a deserted road but on a highway. If I wasn't holding tightly onto the laptop it could've easily been blown out of my hands.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:38 AM   #22
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Very SOFT BABY Tooth brush ... pack of 2 at Dollar Tree $1
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:05 AM   #23
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
Well, I got a confession to make. . I stuck the laptop out the window not on a deserted road but on a highway. If I wasn't holding tightly onto the laptop it could've easily been blown out of my hands.
Use a leaf blower instead. I used to use them on my Desktops.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:35 PM   #24
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I never had dust in my bezels. i use a case
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:23 PM   #25
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I used to use a clean makeup brush now and then. Now I just rinse my reader off when it accumulates a bit much in the way of dust, cat hair, and fingerprints.
Back when I had my Sony 650, I had a case that include a "stylus" holder. I used to keep an old soft Mary Kay makeup brush in the holder. It was perfect and very soft.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:01 PM   #26
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
I use an old makeup brush, one shaped like a fan. Gets everything out from under the bezel in no time.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:25 PM   #27
mrgrtt123
mrgrtt123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrgrtt123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrgrtt123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrgrtt123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrgrtt123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrgrtt123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrgrtt123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrgrtt123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrgrtt123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrgrtt123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrgrtt123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2
I am using my D3100 brush to clean up the bezels of my smartphone.
mrgrtt123 is offline   Reply With Quote