Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-08-2019, 08:14 AM   #1
simurq
simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite v1
Need your advice for new dictionaries

I have 3 volumes (each more than 900 pages) of Russian idiomatic phrases by various authors in PDF format but in poor quality. I have some spare time and, by looks, a gigantic project ahead to convert them to one of the popular e-book formats. So, I need your generous advice:

# Which e-book format is the most recommended for dictionaries?
There are many cross-references and styles for each phrase in printed versions, so I'm thinking about EPUB, since its the most versatile among other formats and can be easily manipulated with CSS to make the dictionaries look similar to original versions. For example:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1mHrRbV.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	174794

On the other hand, I reckon that the dictionaries should be compatible with various e-readers (e.g. Kindle cannot read EPUB). So, with all those styles and cross-references included, will it possible to preserve the look of dictionaries in other formats after conversion?

# Which tools do you recommend for making the dictionaries?
I know about Sigil, which I can use for making the EPUB files. Anything else that can help relieve my job?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-08-2019 at 08:20 AM.
simurq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:40 PM   #2
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simurq View Post
I have 3 volumes (each more than 900 pages) of Russian idiomatic phrases by various authors in PDF format but in poor quality. I have some spare time and, by looks, a gigantic project ahead to convert them to one of the popular e-book formats. So, I need your generous advice:

There are many cross-references and styles for each phrase in printed versions, so I'm thinking about EPUB, since its the most versatile among other formats and can be easily manipulated with CSS to make the dictionaries look similar to original versions. For example:

Attachment 174794

On the other hand, I reckon that the dictionaries should be compatible with various e-readers (e.g. Kindle cannot read EPUB). So, with all those styles and cross-references included, will it possible to preserve the look of dictionaries in other formats after conversion?

# Which tools do you recommend for making the dictionaries?
I know about Sigil, which I can use for making the EPUB files. Anything else that can help relieve my job?

Thanks in advance!
Excellent Question! I will be interested in the answers.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:57 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by simurq View Post
For epub readers I'd recommend the StardDict format and for Kindles the Kindle dictionary format.

The StarDict/Babylon GLS source file format is actually quite simple:

Code:
headword1|synonym1|synonym2
Definition of headword1 in a single line

headword2|synonym1|synonym2
Definition of headword2 in a single line
The definition may contain HTML 3.2 tags. AFAIK, the only non-standard attribute is bword, for example <a href="bword:my_link">my_link</a>, which you can use to link to other headwords.

You'll need to download StarDict Editor to compile GLS source files.
If you have a Windows machine, download stardict-3.0.3-2011.06.12.exe.
(To compile a dictionary, open StarDict Editor, select Babylon file, open the GLS file and click Compile.)

The basic Kindle dictionary format is also relatively simple:

Code:
<html>
<body>

<idx:entry>
	<b><idx:orth>book
	<idx:infl>
		<idx:iform value="books"/>
	</idx:infl>
	</idx:orth> </b> 
	<i>noun</i> <br/>
	a written or printed work
</idx:entry>

<hr/>

<idx:entry>
	<b><idx:orth>go
	<idx:infl>
		<idx:iform value="goes"/>
		<idx:iform value="going"/>
		<idx:iform value="went"/>
		<idx:iform value="gone"/>
	</idx:infl>
	</idx:orth> </b> 
	<i>verb</i> <br/>
	move from one place to another; travel.
</idx:entry>

</body>
</html>
(Kindle dictionaries are compiled with Kindlegen.) For more information, see the Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines and the Kindle Dictionary FAQ thread.

There's also a professional dictionary editor for print editions--Tlex. However, it's not exactly cheap.

You also might find PyGlossary helpful.

Last edited by Doitsu; 11-13-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:27 AM   #4
simurq
simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simurq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite v1
Thank you very much, Doitsu! Looks like what I wanted to know to start with. I'll explore your tips and will come back, if necessary.
simurq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary